Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Descent: Original Unrated Cut'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-06, 07:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I read Bill Gibron's DVD review of The Descent: Original Unrated Cut at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=25780 and...I was afraid the R1 edition would be this good. I have the R2 with DTS, but that can only play on my DVD player that isn't as accessible as my R1 and thus makes me think to get the R1 bc i enjoyed this movie that much that i would rather have it for the better player. Ugh...what is one to do...

oh, and very good review Bill. maybe a little too good
Old 12-25-06, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slightly condescending review, Bill

Well, I give Bill credit for having a change of heart on the movie. As an aspiring film critic myself, I understand how difficult it is for a film critic to show a change in their opinion of a film, especially when it's as recent as this one. However, I couldn't still help but catch a tinge of back-handed compliments by Bill regarding "The Descent" and it's quite bold of him to suggest that ALL theatrical presentations of the film were underwhelming simply based on his own experience in a particular theater. As dark as the film looked when I saw it in a local theater, I felt it added to the feeling of claustrophobia and Bill makes it sound like the new DVD transfer was brightened up against Neil Marshall's original intentions for the film's look. That's not a good thing, if that's the case. Anyhow, Bill proceeds the rest of the review constantly reminding us that the film is "far from perfect" or nowhere close to being a masterpiece. Ok, that's your opinion...but on what grounds do you make such claims? Not at any point, do you back those statements with reasons to support them. Maybe you're just one of those film critics who will never consider a horror film a masterpiece, no matter how well-made it is, which no offense, comes across as snobbery to some readers. I can't force you to like a film a certain way but I just want to get a better gauge on your DVD review of this film. Moreover, you mention the near reference quality of the video and audio of the disc, but come short of giving each 5 full stars, why? What kept it from being reference? Again, if this disc was purposely brightened up, it goes against Marshall's original presentation of this film and thus, gives me reason to not want to buy this and opt for the UK disc. Any explanation for this would be most welcome.
Old 12-26-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Sounds like you're putting words in Bill's mouth. He never said "ALL" theatrical presentations were underwhelming. The gist I caught was there were problems during the one showing he attended (i.e. projection quality, rude crowd). I think he felt he finally saw the film as the director wanted it to be shown when he saw it again on DVD.

IMO, I agree with his review. Yes, it's far from perfect. 99% of films are. He does say "Instead of being a derivative, disorienting mess, The Descent definitely deserves consideration as one of the genre's most compelling efforts." That's pretty noteworthy praise, if you ask me. And props to Bill for admitting he was wrong. He could've easily left that part out but it does give added perspective to his review.
Old 12-26-06, 11:04 PM

Ahh, the magic of home video. It makes me teary just to think about it.
Old 12-26-06, 11:37 PM

That sucks that some movie theatre would show something like The Descent with a crappy projection, and ask people to actually pay for it. There is no way such a low-lit movie can make visual sense with a low quality presentation. What a crime. I stopped going to one local theatre a couple years ago when they showed a very murky projection of Tomb Raider 2 with loads of audio dropouts to boot, it was family owned not part of a franchise. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that on DVD, I could actually see what was going on and hear the dialog.
Old 12-27-06, 08:24 AM

I wouldn't go as far as to call this movie "Highly Recommended". It's moderately recommended, in my opinion, if you want to see an ugly little movie that is mostly black screen, and features monsters that look exactly like the Orcs in Lord of the Rings. The characters behave inexplicably towards eachother after the first half hour of character set up. It's tense and scary at times, but ultimately depressing, and not something you'll want to see twice.
Old 12-27-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
I've never seen this movie before, but it looks interesting. Would any of you say this is worth a blind buy using a gift card I got for Christmas?

Or do you think I should rent it and save my gift card for something else?
Old 12-27-06, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I've never seen this movie before, but it looks interesting. Would any of you say this is worth a blind buy using a gift card I got for Christmas?

Or do you think I should rent it and save my gift card for something else?

Absolutely worth a blind buy IMO...One of my favorite movies of the year
Old 12-27-06, 08:15 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I just blind-bought and watched this yesterday based on word of mouth (and from enjoying Neil Marshall's previous film, Dog Soldiers), and I definitely think it was worth it.
Old 12-28-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loved it. Very intense and gripping.
Old 12-29-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
In my opinion, the original ending turned this from a pretty good film into a great one.

My take was that
Spoiler:
we're left to question whether any of this even happened or if Sarah went mad and killed them all. Leaving the title with a cool double meaning and causing you to rethink the entire movie.

The US ending simply goes BOO! and ends. As has every other horror movie for the past 20 years.

The best horror movies get in your head and stay there for a few days. The unrated cut succeeded on all levels, while the dumbed down US cut did not.
Old 12-30-06, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie W
In my opinion, the original ending turned this from a pretty good film into a great one.

The US ending simply goes BOO! and ends. As has every other horror movie for the past 20 years.

The best horror movies get in your head and stay there for a few days. The unrated cut succeeded on all levels, while the dumbed down US cut did not.
Really. I had a very different take on the film based on your hidden info.

I had a very different take on what the ending meant. I felt that the U.S. ending provided something of a false cathartic release.

I disagree completely with Bill's original review however and it sounded like his theater experience influenced his impression of the film. When I saw it I was floored. Even with the different ending (the only thing different here folks--unless I missed it there isn't a new subplot just an altered ending that provides a different experience as a result).
Old 12-31-06, 12:35 AM

Saw it again for the third time. It still shreds my nerves just as it did upon my first viewing.
Old 12-31-06, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MonsterMan
Saw it again for the third time. It still shreds my nerves just as it did upon my first viewing.
Best description I've read so far. There are so many sudden scares that you feel a bit shell shocked by the end of the first hour. I actually had trouble sleeping afterwards, and I think only BWP and a couple of the better zombie films have accomplished that feat.

In a lot of ways I actually found the story rather Lovecraftian. No elder gods. Just strange and twisted creatures lurking in the dark places of the earth. Another favorite theme of his.
Old 01-01-07, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This film is much better on the big screen where you feel engulfed - saw it twice there and one time a guy in the audience fainted. That won't happen on a home tv presentation - if the film has been lit up against Marshall's wishes this disc becomes a SKIP IT.
Old 01-01-07, 12:05 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by steelpotato
if the film has been lit up against Marshall's wishes this disc becomes a SKIP IT.
It hasn't. Jesus, one poster makes a ridiculous leap in logic ("The theater the reviewer saw The Descent in had bad projection - OH NO, THE DVD HAS BEEN LIGHTENED AGAINST THE DIRECTOR'S WISHES!"), and people start taking it as fact.

Last edited by sb5; 01-01-07 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-01-07, 04:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
just saw the R2 again last night and it is just so unbelievable. the atmosphere and intensity this movie has throughout really is unmatched in the past 10 years. i really can't remember the last time i was actually scared when watching a movie before this. sure, there are a lot of cliched "jump" moments, but damn if they didn't work again and i am sure again.
and as far as the night/dark scenes, i don't think i have ever seen a dvd with such gorgeous, near perfect and clear dark shots (and this was the whole movie).
Old 01-01-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But at least they're real 'jump' shots. None of this "Ha-ha, it's just the cat." BS.
Old 01-02-07, 10:52 AM

Descent

Great FLICK ......... with COOL Extras !!!
Old 01-02-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Nice to see more people enjoying the flick
Old 01-04-07, 01:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The movie had great atmosphere, but it didn't scare me. What saddens me is that I think I lost the ability to have a movie scare me. I was so looking forward to this, due to all of the positive reviews, but I never felt that sense of dread or increased heart rate that I was able to get years ago.
Old 01-04-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
I think this film would have been far better had it gone for more realism instead of hoo-rah, kick-ass heroine antics. That really let me down. This could have been a great, truly scary film, but it settles for just "good."
Old 01-05-07, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
The movie had great atmosphere, but it didn't scare me. What saddens me is that I think I lost the ability to have a movie scare me. I was so looking forward to this, due to all of the positive reviews, but I never felt that sense of dread or increased heart rate that I was able to get years ago.
You must be a hardcore horror fan like myself. I almost never get scared by most horror fare. I occasionally get disturbed by what I see, but never feel fearful. I guess it can be attributed to that law of diminishing returns.