Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Miami Vice' (HD DVD)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Miami Vice' (HD DVD)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06, 10:57 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JM1
I have made no such claim, and that heavily sarcastic comment sadly illustrates that you are as adept at misreading peoples comments as you are at misunderstanding movies.
My comment is meant to illustrate that you have become tiresome in your arguments, and it is very clear that, no matter what evidence is presented, you are not prepared to even concede so much as people's right to express that this film is a creative failure. It's not so much that you disagree with us detractors, it's that you won't even allow us the courtesy of conveying our opinion. It's an "I'm right and everyone who disagrees is less of a true cineaste than I am" elitist argument and I bore of your condescension.
Old 12-29-06, 10:59 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
There is an equally large mountain of evidence that Mann fans and non-Mann fans also enjoyed or even loved the movie, so where does that leave you?
If more than 50% don't vote for you, you don't get to be president.
Old 12-29-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
This isn't directed towards any one person in particular, but I think it's a good idea to speak for yourself and not try to use a 'bandwagon' argument to make a point.
Old 12-29-06, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, and saying "Mann fans and non-fans alike" enjoyed the film, so you must be wrong, is not a persuasive argument. (and I like the film)
Old 12-29-06, 05:38 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by JM1
Interesting, Vic. I mentioned those two films because they were highly critically acclaimed, and LIT certainly was popular with a large section of the cinemagoing public.

For some reason, I did not enjoy either of them, could not see what the fuss was about, and they went completely over my head.

But - I don't come on here saying they were terrible, awful and trash these movies simply because I didn't like them. It's possible I simply did not concentrate when I watched them, was distracted, in the wrong frame of mind etc - but it's entirely possible I could watch those same movies again at some point and thoroughly enjoy them, and I am sure we have all had experiences like that.

It's very common for people to kick against films that are critically acclaimed and succesful if they cannot see what the appeal is, and just trash them because they feel in some way inadequate that they cannot see what everyone else apparently sees (not directed at anyone in particular here, just a general comment).

But there is also a marked difference between someone giving their opinion on a movie, ie I personally didn't like it, and saying it was rubbish. And when it comes to critiscising elements of the movie such as storyline, cinematography, acting etc, when did people suddenly become experts in these fields? IE people will say X was a rubbish movie because it had no story. Now, the storylines of RT and LIT did not appeal to me at all and did not hold my interest, but I am not saying the storylines in those films were bad therefore the movies were rubbish. In truth I could not really find fault with the movies themselves so am certainly not going to rubbish them unless I have something concrete I can say about why I think I did not enjoy them.

What I am saying is that there can be many reasons why we do not enjoy certain movies - there is the hype/dissapointment factor, when big movies are built up so much that while they may be good they are not as good as we were led to believe ; there is the perception of the content and style of the film from the cinemagoer, they may be led to believe they are going to see a certain type of movie and it may not turn out to be what they anticipated ; there is also the attention deficit factor, where people go and see movies for social reasons and really don't pay attention to them at all and therefore don't understand what is going on (you know the sort, people on mobile phones, chatting etc).

There are just 3 reasons, but the point is as unpopular a viewpoint as it may be, it simply may sometimes be our own fault that we don't always enjoy movies.
You make some valid points. First off I must say that I had heard bad reviews around the time of Miami Vice's theatrical release. I wasn't expecting a great movie. What was a dissapointment to me was that I genuinely did not care about the lead characters. It's very rare that I can't identify in some way with the protagonist in a movie. The lead character may be a hitman, like in The Proffesional, but in that example the story is written in such a way that Reno's character comes off as sympathetic and able to be identified with. Mabey Mann assumed the viewers already knew Crockett and Tubbs from the tv series and didn't want to waste viewer's time developing them from scratch. Although their character's names are the same I don't relate Johnson to Farrell nor Thomas to Fox. This Crockett and Tubbs were new to me. I watched it as if the series never existed and it wasn't something I forced myself to do.

My strongest barometer of a good movie is how well it "hypnotizes" me during it's plus or minus two hours.
I'm normally high strung but, even so, Lost in Translation, not exactly an action flick, really grabbed me. It captured a certain hard to define mood perfectly. To me, Lost in Translation was hypnotic. Miami Vice was one of these rare movies where I debate with myself whether or not it is worth my time to sit through.

I agee that both a person's disposition and distractions while viewing can influence their attention span. Yet, there are DVDs that I was just going to watch the first five minutes of before going out and ended up watching the whole movie all in one sitting instead of doing what I had planned. Not to mention being so entranced that I would skip a bathroom break even though I could have stopped the DVD at any time. Bottom line, I gave my opinions on MV and not a review and will make it a point to watch it in it's entirety in 2007.

For now mabey we can agree that Ocean's 12 was not the best movie ever made?
Old 12-29-06, 09:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Vic22
My strongest barometer of a good movie is how well it "hypnotizes" me during it's plus or minus two hours.
I like that.

Even more off topic, using that barometer, "The Good Shepherd" really stunk. I went in expecting to enjoy it, but each minute seemed like an eternity.
Old 12-30-06, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
The world would be a very boring place if we all liked and hated the same exact things...
Old 12-30-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
The world would be a very boring place if we all liked and hated the same exact things...
True, but at least we could get more HD-DVD release
Old 12-30-06, 12:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
If more than 50% don't vote for you, you don't get to be president.
First of all, my "plenty of people like it" argument was there to invalidate Filmmaker's "many people don't like it, so it must not be good" argument. I think people misinterpreted it as me saying "a lot of people liked it, so it must be good," which I didn't say.

Secondly, I can't believe you just compared liking a movie to our electoral process. Absurd.
Old 12-30-06, 01:22 PM
Banned

First of all, my "plenty of people like it" argument was there to invalidate Filmmaker's "many people don't like it, so it must not be good" argument. I think people misinterpreted it as me saying "a lot of people liked it, so it must be good," which I didn't say.

Secondly, I can't believe you just compared liking a movie to our electoral process. Absurd.
First of all, my point was "many people don't like it, so there is a basis for arguing that it may not be good". I'm tired of being told that if I find fault with Mann's creative decisions, the fault actually lies with me (or those who make similar criticisms).

Secondly, you may want to go to ask.com and type in "what does 'tongue-in-cheek' mean?"...
Old 12-30-06, 07:51 PM

It seems there's a lot of arguing about the difference between "Miami Vice is good/bad" versus "I think it is", but really, there is no difference. If many people agree that something is good or bad, so what? They're just opinions. That doesn't somehow cosmically make a film/book/whatthehellever "good" or "bad".

Last edited by Egon's Ghost; 12-30-06 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-30-06, 09:10 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
First of all, my point was "many people don't like it, so there is a basis for arguing that it may not be good". I'm tired of being told that if I find fault with Mann's creative decisions, the fault actually lies with me (or those who make similar criticisms).

Secondly, you may want to go to ask.com and type in "what does 'tongue-in-cheek' mean?"...
I prefer Wikipedia.
Old 12-30-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd like to give you my review however after 45 minutes of watching people mumble to each other over the phone, I fell asleep. I had to keep turning it up, but it went from one scene of talking on the cell phone to another. I can see that at the mall.
Old 12-30-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
While I was visiting relatives for the holidays, one of 'em put on Miami Vice. Just a 32" TV with the audio piped in through the built-in speakers, but even though that's a far cry from the home theater rigs most of us are using, I guess it worked to the movie's benefit 'cause I didn't have any trouble making out a single line of dialogue.
Old 12-31-06, 12:40 AM
Banned by request

Well, clearly it's because you're part of the cinema elite and no longer possess the soul of the working man, Adam.
Old 12-31-06, 08:16 AM
Banned

Well, clearly it's because you're part of the cinema elite and no longer possess the soul of the working man, Adam.
Not until he starts telling us we're wrong for our perceptions.