Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The King and I'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of The King and I at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=25254 and...

would like to note that Mr. Sinnott did not mention or disuss that the new DVD release of this title has eliminated the overture, intermission and exit music which appeared on the 1999 DVD release of this film. I do not know if the extra music was only included on certain releases of the film and that its deletion makes the latest DVD release more accurate, but I just wanted to point out the removal of the extra music for those interested in such things. If anyone knows why the music was removed, I would be interested in learning about this subject. Thank you.
Old 12-12-06, 09:54 AM
Defunct Account

I did talk about that at the end of the main section of the review:

Viewers who are familiar with the previous release of this movie on DVD may be surprised to discover that this version is different. The 4 minute overture, as well as the intermission and the exit music are not present on this disc. That is because this disc presents the film as it was originally shown theatrically. The extra musical sections were added for the 1961 reissue, and they were pieced together from the background music and reprises of the songs. No new music was recorded for these and since they were not part of the original release, their omission shouldn't be a point of concern.
Hope this helps.

John

(edited to correct a typo...)
Old 12-29-06, 02:50 PM

I Need new reading glasses!

Thanks for your response, John.

Greg