Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Mission: Impossible III' (HD DVD)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Mission: Impossible III' (HD DVD)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-06, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Talk review of 'Mission: Impossible III'

I read Joshua Zyber's DVD review of Mission: Impossible III at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24718 and...
I agree with all the detailed descriptions of the vido quality. I am sorry to say, I am not as complacent as he is with regards to all those artifacts which I thought were a thing of the past with older DVD encoding. I think that by today's standards, any compression, shimmering and jittering artifacts should NOT exist, particularly in a HIGH definition transfer.However,the artifacts are much more noticeable and disturbing in the standard DVD release, and at the 1080i setting of the TOSHIBA player, much less offensive on the HDDVD version. I hope this is not going to be a recurrent problem with future releases.

Last edited by humbi; 11-04-06 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Comparison of the DVD with the HDDVD release.
Old 11-03-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
I am as big a nit-picker as anyone, which is why I mentioned those artifacts in my review, but the problems with this disc are incredibly minor. Overall it looks terrific. In fact, at this point it's still too early to rule out a hardware problem causing them.

For what it's worth, this movie was shot with a mix of 35mm film and HD video, so it's never going to entirely do away with that "video" look.
Old 11-04-06, 03:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Humberto, this is not the first HD DVD release that has artifacting. It's just one of the higher profile ones.
Old 11-04-06, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the news. Can you tell me which HD DVD titles have imperfections in the video transfer?
Thanks
Old 11-04-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by humbi
Thanks for the news. Can you tell me which HD DVD titles have imperfections in the video transfer?
Thanks
The site has 88 HD DVD reviews so far, and I can only think of two that were described as being perfect.