Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Vol. 10'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection: Vol. 10 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23857 and...

Godzilla Vs. Megalon wasn't a Sandy Frank import. The Gamera flicks were.
Old 09-21-06, 07:56 AM
Defunct Account

Oh fudge, you're right. Thanks for keeping my honest Josh.
Old 09-22-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
That's a common misconception that Sandy Frank did the dubbed imports of the two Godzilla movies seen on the show in Season 2. I know FVI did one but I can't remember which company did the other.

It's Season 3 of the show when Sandy Frank imports from Japan are in full swing, with 5 Gamera movies, 2 Fugitive Alien movies, Mighty Jack, and Time of the Apes - a total of 9 MST episodes (I'm only counting the cable episodes, that is, not the KTMAs which will never officially see the light of day).

If one of those Sandy Frank imports ever appears on a Rhino release, then that'll be a major breakthrough in the rights arena!

-

Last edited by dhmac; 09-22-06 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-27-06, 02:38 AM

Yet another DVD Talk review that I disagree with. Episode 0503 is the dog of this volume, IMO. Episode 0810 isn't bad.

"By this time in the series, the show was running out of steam..."

I really don't see how someone familiar with the show could make that comment. There were some very good episodes in the final seasons; Hobgoblins is episode 0907.

"The host segments weren't that entertaining either."

Unlike other episodes? The host segments were very rarely entertaining, especially during the Mike years.
Old 09-27-06, 12:02 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I personally like The Giant Spider Invasion as an episode, and definitely disagree with the "the show was running out of steam" comment (there were several great, even classic episodes in MST3K's final three seasons), I can see what the reviewer is saying about TGSI. It's not one of their stronger riffing jobs; it tends to coast on the awfulness of the movie at times.

Last edited by sb5; 09-27-06 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-29-06, 08:24 AM

Yeah, actually, Giant Spider Invasion is a tremendously funny episode, because it's such a repulsive film. The crew are at their funniest when they are gagging in revulsion.

Anyone who is a fan of MST3K knows that the show got sharper and funnier as the years rolled on. Bill Corbett's work as a writer on the last few seasons helped out a bunch, and Mike was just a better actor than Joel was. Seasons 8-10 contain more belly laughs than any of the Comedy Central seasons.

Having said that, I look for the Comedy Central episodes more eagerly on these DVD sets because I don't have nice clean copies of them, the way I do with all of the Sci Fi eps.
Old 09-29-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
Anyone who is a fan of MST3K knows that the show got sharper and funnier as the years rolled on.
Don't start this tired argument again, and don't pretend to speak for all MST3K fans.

Some people prefer Mike. Some people prefer Joel. Some people think the Sci-Fi era's great. Some people don't.

Just speaking for myself, a fan of MST3K since its second season was first airing, I prefer the Comedy Central era in general. I used to be Joel-or-die, but I've warmed up to Mike's Comedy Central era episodes on DVD even if I was kind of indifferent to them when they first aired. I personally find the Sci-Fi era episodes to be much more hit-or-miss, and the riffing as a whole often seemed a lot lazier to me in the later episodes.
Old 09-29-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts
As proof of the futility of Mike vs Joel arguments, my wife (who's not a big fan of the show) prefers Mike simply because she thinks he's cuter.
Old 09-29-06, 12:09 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, dear God, let's not get into "Joel vs. Mike" or "CC vs. SciFi", and what constitues a "true fan". It's a completely pointless argument.
Old 09-29-06, 04:47 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Picard's the best!
Old 09-30-06, 06:21 AM

It's not a matter of Mike vs. Joel, it's a matter of the quality of the writing of the show. It didn't "go downhill" at all, ever. It was consistantly as good, if not better, during the Sci Fi era, owing to a more seasoned writing team and the addition of Bill Corbett.

If anything, the reviewer may have gotten bored with the show towards the end, but that's a reflection of his own changing interests, not the show's quality.

And yes, I do speak for ALL MST3K fans, at all times.

Just kidding.
Old 09-30-06, 10:42 AM
Defunct Account

No, I wasn't bored with the show I just felt at the time, and still do, that the writing wasn't as strong in the later seasons. You feel that Mike was better than Joel and that the Sci-Fi era was better than the CC days. That's your opinion but as others have said, this is an argument that will never be settled.

I will agree that there are some great episodes in the later seasons, but these were more rare as the series went on. Every true fan of the show knows this.
Old 09-30-06, 01:12 PM

Paradoxically, I've always felt that there was an overall dip in consistency in the last three or four seasons, yet some of the individual episodes from those seasons rank as my all-time faves: Jack Frost, Prince of Space, The Final Sacrifice, Future War, Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders, etc. Maybe that's why people feel so torn about the later seasons. I mean, I can sit through repeated viewings of Final Sacrifice, but I found it hard to make it all the way through The Screaming Skull and Hamlet once.
Old 10-02-06, 06:45 AM

Hamlet is the only episode of MST3K that I find unwatchable.
Old 10-02-06, 12:03 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hamlet is the only episode of MST3K that I find unwatchable.
Have you ever seen Castle of Fu Manchu? I'd rank that much higher on the "unwatchable" scale than Hamlet.
Old 10-02-06, 12:53 PM

Mad Monster must have the least riffing, and that makes it the worst episode, IMO.
Old 10-02-06, 03:21 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's quite a few KTMA and Season 1 episodes I'd rank lower than Hamlet, but since those seasons were before they started heavily scripting the riffing, it's probably not a fair comparison.
Old 10-02-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Anyone who is a fan of MST3K knows that the show got sharper and funnier as the years rolled on... and Mike was just a better actor than Joel was.
Guess, despite being an avid, drooling, geek over MST since season two, I must not be a fan because I dont agree with you. opinions, opinions, opinions...

Still funny, that after all these years Mike-lovers wont accept that people enjoyed Joel specifically because he was such a loose, lazy-looking goofball and not as actor-ly as Mike. Ah well, at least we all still love MST for MST.
Old 10-02-06, 06:23 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Still funny, that after all these years Mike-lovers wont accept that people enjoyed Joel specifically because he was such a loose, lazy-looking goofball and not as actor-ly as Mike.
So, you attack Ethan for making a gross generalization, and then proceed to make one yourself about what all the "Mike-lovers" supposedly think.
Old 10-02-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always kinda thought about 95% of the host segments sucked. Especially the Mike years, some were downright terrible and seem to drag on forever.
Old 10-03-06, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by sb5
Have you ever seen Castle of Fu Manchu? I'd rank that much higher on the "unwatchable" scale than Hamlet.
Yeah, come to think of it, I've only watched that one once. I've got all of them on DVD, but my eyes sort of glaze over that one when I'm choosing which episode to watch. I DO struggle to watch Hamlet now and then, trying to see what it is I'm missing.

Season one wasn't very good, coasting on the humor of the concept of the show, and not focusing on jokes. But I still enjoy it.
Old 10-03-06, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Guess, despite being an avid, drooling, geek over MST since season two, I must not be a fan because I dont agree with you. opinions, opinions, opinions...

Still funny, that after all these years Mike-lovers wont accept that people enjoyed Joel specifically because he was such a loose, lazy-looking goofball and not as actor-ly as Mike. Ah well, at least we all still love MST for MST.
You don't agree with me about what? That the show never got terrible? Some fan!

I enjoyed Joel too, and miss him a lot. He brought a warm, nurturing sort of environment to the SOL, and as soon as he left, his bots ran wild and started torturing stepdad. Mike was a much more capable comedian though. His straight man personality was on par with Bud Abbott. Although I love the Joel episodes, I laugh more at the Mike ones. They're sharper, more cruel.
Old 10-03-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, can't believe this turned into this debate again. At this point I just want whatever episodes I can get on DVD. I have all of them possible in one or another form, but would hapily buy them all from Rhino on DVD. The in theater stuff was rock solid throughout all 10 seasons and the host segments are just up to personal taste. I personally liked Joel's line flubbing, stoner style as host, but Mike was very good as well. I wasn't a big fan of the Sci-Fi host segments and hated Mary Jo, but none of that took much away from how great the show was even in the Sci-Fi years.
Old 10-06-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Some people hate this Joel-vs-Mike debate, but as for me, I love it as long as it doesn't get ugly. And it's truly great that a show that's been out-of-production since 1999 can still bring such passioned debates. Long Live MST3K!

(...oh, yeah, and also: Mike's run as host was great but Joel's run was better )
Old 10-06-06, 08:45 PM

Sorry to be OT as well, but I can't resist to post in this thread! Any talk of MST3K gets my blood flowing through my veins!

I think I liked the Joel era more simply because of the mads (namely, Dr. Forrester). It made the host segments great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.