Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Preston Jones's DVD review of Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22951 and...

One of the most discussed films of the last 25 years, even though it came out 27 years ago? :-)
Old 08-15-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ehh, math schmath ...
Old 08-15-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brownstem
One of the most discussed films of the last 25 years, even though it came out 27 years ago? :-)
Those two numbers aren't mutually exclusive. Perhaps no one talked about the movie for the first two years. Or maybe they did talk about it the first two years in addition to the last 25 years.
Old 08-15-06, 11:56 PM

I know this is discussed in one of the other Apocalypse Now threads... but I thought it would probably be more appropriate here.....

received by copy last nite (courtesy of DDD).

What was Paramount - or Zeotrope - thinking with regards to the PACKAGING ???!!!! I don't normally complain about R1 packaging ..... but.....

1 - the outside 'details / back cover' slip - nice that it is - is discarded - whats the point of that ??
2 - the velcro 'stamp' - a tad hard to grab underneath that - and velco on thin cardboard ??
3 - then having to try and get the other hard cardboard slip out....
4 - but the last.... this dual layer DVD 'case' - ??!!! one 'clip' broke in transit - and there's obviously no way of replacing it (at least the DVD doesnt have anywhere to go when its 'wrapped' in so much cardboard).

Not good.

(anyone for a special amaray slip cover ????)

As per the transfer : - is it just me - or is the scene near the start of the film - with the 'arc light' reference in the boat - appear to be extremely 'hazy' and 'pixelated' ?? The sky / background is a complete mess.
Old 08-15-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Code:
brownstem
Banned

Anyone else got any questions about the review?
Old 08-17-06, 10:28 AM

Bonus 3rd Disc

Must be some association or marketing partnership (you see this with exclusive versions or extras at Best Buy.) If you purchase this disc at Circuit City, the release has a bonus 3rd disc containing:

1. A short featurette detailing some of the added footage for the Redux release.
2. The Kurtz compound destruction sequence. (same as on the original DVD release.)
3. Both the original theatrical release trailer and the trailer for the Redux theatrical run.

As for the inclusion (or lack thereof) of Hearts of Darkness, I personally have a copy on Laserdisc, but it's pretty much readily available on Ebay if you care to shell out the $.
Old 08-17-06, 10:59 PM
Suspended

1 post and he is banned?! WOW!

Anyways, I bought mine from amazon hope it comes in one piece! Is gonna be packaged next to the new Brazil CC
Old 02-22-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is kind of thread necromancy but I thought if anyone else went looking in here they might also like to see where this discussion ends up: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=493344