Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Excel Saga - Complete Collection'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 08-03-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I read Todd Douglass Jr.'s DVD review of Excel Saga - Complete Collection at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23028 and...

I like Excel Saga, it's maybe not a great way for someone new to anime to get introduced to the medium, but for someone who's reasonably familiar with some of the anime 'commonalities', it's quite good, if bizarre.

I'm glad to see a thinpak, I like the thinpaks.

I have the Imperfect Collection, which is basically a box set of the six individual full-size releases. According this review, and reinforced by a couple reviews on Amazon, it looks like this edition is woefully lacking in extras.
One of them is very handy to get many of the 'injokes'--the ADVid Notes, a 'Pop Up Video' type extra where some of the injokes or quick things are explained. In a series as manic and full as Excel Saga, I find it bizarre they removed this extra for this release. Can you confirm? If this is true, I would have to suggest trying to hunt down the Imperfect Collection, though it would take up about twice as much shelf space. The MSRP of the Imperfect Collection is a lot more, but I was able to get mine at a Best Buy sale for about the same price as this thinpak.