Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Cinema 16 - American Short Films - Region 1!!

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-21-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a heads up to all short film fans - the amazing Cinema 16 - American Short Films, listed as Region 2 does play on Region 1 players. Got mine from CDWow for about $25. Great dvd.
Old 07-22-06, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about the "Cinema 16 - British Short Films" disc? I'm not region-free...too much in R1 that I haven't worked my way through, and I'm not the type that needs the biggest and best editions that're only offered overseas. However, this is one of the times where I do wish I was region free. The R2 disc has a short from one of, if not my favorite writer/director (Chris Nolan), as well as shorts from a number of directors whose works have piqued my interest:

Ridley Scott (too many to list)
Lynne Ramsay (Ratcatcher)
Mike Leigh (All or Nothing, Naked, Vera Drake, Secrets & Lies)

...anyway, I would love to see some of their short films, but Doodlebug alone makes me want to purchase the disc. If it plays on R1, that'd be some fantastic news as I could finally look into eliminating that longstanding title from my wishlist. I'll definitely be picking up the "American Short Films" version, though. Lots of directors in the mix who're responsible for some great movies (Tim Burton, Todd Solondz, Alexander Payne, Gus Van Sant, George Lucas), plus the shorts from DA Pennebaker and Andy Warhol, a short from Adam Davidson (who has been attached to a lot of great TV shows), and the disc should give me enough of a feel for Mike Mills to know whether or not I want to go forward with my blind-buy of Thumbsucker.

Long post short: you're right, this looks like a great disc and I'll be picking it up...and do you know if the British Shorts disc is R1 as well?

-JP
Old 07-22-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, NBT, but both the European and British shorts collections are R2 only.