DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

YI YI Criterion.....a good blind buy?

Old 07-17-06, 03:08 PM
Suspended

YI YI Criterion.....a good blind buy?

Just wondering if this is a good blind buy? Thanks
Old 07-17-06, 06:43 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

It depends on your acceptance/reluctance of foreign films and long, slower-moving dramas. But as someone who absolutely loves the film front to back, I'd say absolutely.
Old 07-17-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would think the best indicator of this is if you like films by Hsiao-hsien Hou (Millenium Mambo, Three Times) or Yasujiro Ozu. These directors make films that take its time portraying life which means there are slow points, humorous occassions and dramatic events depicted with an almost-moving camera.

I personally loved it as these films, as a great alternative to tighter-plotted and jump-edited movies, always seem to reflect how people in other countries live and react pretty much the same as everyone else in the world.
Old 07-17-06, 10:36 PM

just remember, the films three hours....
Old 07-17-06, 11:32 PM

As much as I love the film, I don't think I can recommend it as a blind buy, especially considering that it's a Criterion.

As mentioned earlier by Cardiac, if you have seen and enjoyed films by such directors as Hsiao-hsien Hou and Yasujiro Ozu, then you should have no problem enjoying Yi Yi as well. If you're unfamiliar with their films, then I recommend you rent it and give it a shot because Yi Yi really is an exquisitely crafted film.

I just think $25 is a bit too much to pay for a film you may or may not enjoy, or one you may or may not watch again.
Old 07-18-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of the best films of the last decade, and one of my favorites. IMO, it's much more accessible than any of the films by Hou Hsiao-hsien, so I think you may still like it very much even if you're not a fan of Hou's. But if you like Hou (or the films of Tsai Ming-Liang), then you'll almost certainly like "yi yi".

I noticed in your owned DVDs list that you don't have any Hou or Tsai, or any of family dramas by similar filmmakers like Ozu. I'd say this film is probably well outside your current experience and tastes.

In other words, this is what Netflix is for. And while you're at, you may as well queue up some Ozu, Hou, and Tsai!