Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Ultraviolet: Unrated Extended Cut'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 06-25-06, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Bill Gibron's DVD review of Ultraviolet: Unrated Extended Cut at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22399 and...

Just a couple of things...

In 2002, novice filmmaker Kurt Wimmer created quite a fanboy stir with his makeshit Matrix homage Equilibrium.
Did he mean "makeshift?"

These devotees to Asimov and Clark, Ellison and Dick will see the slim social commentary at the core of Ultraviolet and giggle all the way to the comics store.
I recognize most of those names, but who is Clark? Arthur C. Clarke?
Old 06-25-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Oops!

Typos trying to get this up this AM. Thanks for the heads up. They are now fixed.

BILL

PS - kind of like the first typo, though.
Old 06-25-06, 02:42 PM
Defunct Account

I kind of like the term "makeshit". I might have to use it in a review some time. (Since it was a typo, you get no credit Bill! *insert evil laugh*)
Old 06-25-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

No problem John...it was purely Freudian (I was NOT a fan of Equilibrium)

BILL
Old 06-25-06, 09:33 PM

Here is what I thought of the film when I saw it in the theatre. Note - I am a HUGE fan of Equillibrium, so I had high hopes for this one:

I dont understand it, I loved Equillibrium. The only explanation for the inexplicably horrifyingly unwatchable mess that is ULTRAVIOLET is that the same director that made equilibrium smoked some PCP, had a lobotomy, did some meth, sniffed a bunch of glue and laquer, and had freqeunt electro-shock therapy sessions in a mental institute.

Any violence is neutered with cut away ugly pg-13 megamarketing. Any dialogue in this film was written by an 8 year old - one of my favorite statements was "We are at war, a war to the death." The direction and cinematography is stupid, most cuts make no sense - and we jump from scene to scene with little to no transition - had i cared at all about this movie (20 minutes in I was checking the time) I would have been confused - but since it sucked so much, I just gave up and assumed the horrible direction was just the director trying to make the worst movie ever made.

Really the movie is just extreme closeups of Milla Jovavich's face and ass. If you really like her, then you might like this movie, cause thats all it is. Maybe 12 different 10-15 second action sequences exist in the film, which consist of Violet killing 100s of male warriors in seconds in what have to be the most dull nonsensical videogame sequences ever made. One rooftop scene is Viloet vs a bunch of Yakuza. They all have guns and suround her in a circle (which is what every group of videogame villians she faces do). The camera then does slow mo close up of like every guy and every gun (one cut goes in Violets ear and comes out a guys gun - does this signify her brain is a hollow?) - then the action hits and it is like a high school student directing the matrix rooftop bulletdodge scene - for about 10 seconds she bends around and dodges about 15 bullets - every one of which goes right into the guy directly across from his counterpart - and like a BAD videogame - they all kill each other - because they are dumb. This is like bizarro world to the great gun-kata in Equillibrium - porly choreographed and meaningless.

Another lovely touch is that every shot of Jovovich is blury - i guess to make her look more perfect? i have no clue, but the end effect is people constantly leaving asking the projectionist to focus a film which is in perfect focus.

Also - this film has the worst score ever layed down for a movie or video game - EVER. I could produce a better score with my own ass, some eggs and milk, and a microphone.

Finally, beyond the dumb story, the horrifyingly bad acting, the terrible action, the stupid art direction, and the worst score ever, there are the effects. imagine someone going back and using the same computer rendering tools that were used to make TRON. Then imagine that used with HDef film and the worst green screen effects ever - that would make ULTRAVIOLET look GOOD!

While i tend to be overlycritical of everything, I promise you, if you saw the motorcycle sequence where she rides her bike up and across buildings - you would be in disbelief! I complained about some of the effects in KONG, but they look like perfection compared to this movies absurd effects (im not even sure if they are effects - I just dont know what to think about it ).

Leaving the theatre never felt so good - it was like YES - real life! My wife and I tried to think of a movie we disliked more than Ultraviolet, but honestly couldnt come up with one. I would rather watch Bad Boys II again. I have never seen Catwoman, but If all you have the chance to watch is Catwoman and Ultraviolet, you should watch Catwoman - its impossible for a film to be as bad as Ultraviolet. Id rather have a sh**sandwich, a punch in the face, and a coke before sitting through Ultraviolet.
Old 06-26-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet pappy! Now I HAVE to see this movie.
Old 06-26-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gotta agree with Mr. Jelly here. I would have given the movie 1/2 star maximum if I was doing the review score. The only movie i have seen in the theater that was anywhere near as bad as Ultraviolet was Van Helsing and Van Helsing is a masterpiece in comparison.
Old 06-26-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by mr jelly
I dont understand it, I loved Equillibrium. The only explanation for the inexplicably horrifyingly unwatchable mess that is ULTRAVIOLET is that the same director that made equilibrium smoked some PCP, had a lobotomy, did some meth, sniffed a bunch of glue and laquer, and had freqeunt electro-shock therapy sessions in a mental institute.
The other explanation that you're missing, of course, is that Equilibrium is just as bad but you were more forgiving of it.

Any dialogue in this film was written by an 8 year old - one of my favorite statements was "We are at war, a war to the death."
This reminds me of my favorite dialogue exchange from V - The Series:

"I've never been defeated in mortal combat."
"Idiot! If you had, you'd be dead!"

Last edited by Josh Z; 06-26-06 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-27-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed Ultraviolet a lot. The only reason I found enjoyment in it was because I took it for what it was. An overstylized and cheesy action film with virtually no plot. I would easily give this film an 8/10. because of what it was supposed to be and what I liked it for.
Old 07-01-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Terrible film. I also loved Equilibrium but Ultraviolet was just drivel. Anything more than 1 star out of 5 is far too generous if you ask me!
Old 07-01-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched this this week. It was good action, not much more.

It was clearly a comic book movie without a comic book to go with it. This has the advantage in that going into it we have no preconceived notions about the world they're working in and its rules. However, this was also a missed opportunity because by the end of the film I still didn't have any understanding of the rules, and doubt that anyone involved with the film did either.

Recommended for eye candy but not much more.
Old 07-16-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Finally saw it. Mr. Jelly hit this one right on the money. This movie may have worked if it was Anime, but as live-action, it's just too ridiculous. The only thing in it that was good was Milla Jovovich's hotness - but even that can only go so far.

(P.S. I'm a fan of Equilibrium too, because that movie had some actually good ideas in it. Stolen from Orwell and Huxley, true, but they are still good ideas.)
Old 07-17-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a huge fan of Equilibrium, and I've watched and enjoyed it so many times that I don't think I'm being too forgiving, but I COULD NOT AGREE MORE with the review. It didn't make sense, and not in that "it's supposed to be confusing" way. And I must again concur with the fact that this was the softest movie I've ever seen in terms of the skin tones. They looked like a cross between CGI and a Maxim airbrush pic done by a 4 year old. I've never seen anything more distracting in my life, and what the HELL were those brown "buildings" that were on the side of the main road? They didn't look like anything other than unfinished effects. God, this was awful beyond words, I thought the review did this atrocity justice.