Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Eternal Present'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 01:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of The Eternal Present at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19173 and...

bought the darn thing on the basis of his recommendation. TEP is a highly irritating film, with arbitrary jump cuts and fades to black leader…a *lot* of black leader. Our here is a dork with a bad haircut who wanders through the film with his mouth open. He receives “mysterious” (read: incomprehensible) visits from strange people who tell him strange things. I sat through the whole thing, and I am certain not to sit through it again to see if anything at all coheres. Our brave Artiste gives a credit to his two film splicers! They only printed a thousand copies of this crummy DVD. Let ‘em take back 980 or so.
Old 04-23-06, 01:56 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry you didn't like the film Patherto.

Originally Posted by patherto
bought the darn thing on the basis of his recommendation. TEP is a highly irritating film, with arbitrary jump cuts and fades to black leader…a *lot* of black leader. Our here is a dork with a bad haircut who wanders through the film with his mouth open. He receives “mysterious” (read: incomprehensible) visits from strange people who tell him strange things.
Well, yes. As I said in my review:

The omnipresent black screens that permeate the film were interesting at the start, but were used a little too much and became a distractions.
A question to ask yourself is what the meaning of all the black screens were. I ended the review with these comments:

This isn't a film for everyone. It's an experimental film and it doesn't have a straight forward narrative which will put off many mainstream viewers. If you enjoy avant guarde film however, this is a disc worth seeking out.
I thought that was sufficient warning that the movie was going to be odd and unusual. Which is certainly is.