Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Event Horizon - Special Collector's Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Scott Weinberg's DVD review of Event Horizon - Special Collector's Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=21158 and...

he's right on the money. Event Horizon completely freaked me out. Even though I've seen it a handful of times, I still cover my eyes during some scenes. My boyfriend can't even watch it at night. Oddly enough, I will still buy the new DVD as soon as I can!
Old 04-19-06, 11:21 AM

Yeah some parts have me squemmish too. Like with the part when the guy is locked out and the blood comes out of his eyes.
Old 04-19-06, 05:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by marcellusk
Yeah some parts have me squemmish too. Like with the part when the guy is locked out and the blood comes out of his eyes.
oh great, no reason to buy now!
Old 04-20-06, 11:52 AM

This movie (and every movie by this director) is crap. For the love of God, do not watch ANY of them.
Old 04-20-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by ShawnMercury
This movie (and every movie by this director) is crap. For the love of God, do not watch ANY of them.
Resident Evil is good, dumb fun, and a fine guilty pleasure.
Old 04-20-06, 12:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Resident Evil is good, dumb fun, and a fine guilty pleasure.
i quite enjoyed RE as well and quite enjoy EH too!
Old 04-20-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShawnMercury
Thread crap

Say what you will about Andersons films in general. I'm not a big fan myself. But even I will honestly say Event Horizon kicks all kinds of major ass. And is one hell of a well made frightening terror trip,that freaks me out and delivers the goods big time. The set design,cinematography,atmosphere,score,use of audio. Everything just works like a charm in this film to keep you on edge until the bleak ending.

It's a classic in my opinion and very underrrated among elitists who will despise anything that has Andersons name on it.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 04-20-06 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-20-06, 06:55 PM

Event Horizon is cut

Long time reader, but this is my first time posting and I have some bad news to post folks. I had to register on the forums for the sole reason of getting this news out to the masses.

I am a HUGE fan of this film and I've had repeated viewings of the film to know that this version released on DVD is cut.

In the scene where the Lewis & Clark crew finally decrypt the Event Horizon's video log to witness the previous crew horrible demise and sick and twisted atrocities. There's a scene where a man is being raped from behind by what can only be described as a demonic female creature.

In the original cut that I'd seen years ago on VHS, the female is thrusting into the male for about a second or two on screen when the camera pans to the left where we see another woman sitting on a chair and having a three way with a man and another woman.

In this DVD release however the scene of the man being raped from behind has no thrusting involved, it is instead a freeze frame of the scene and then a hard artificial zoom into the table he's laying on, then a quick cut and pan over to the left.

I'm seriously pissed off about this and so should every fan of this film. I don't even know who to complain to about this but point me in the right direction and I'll be signing all kindsa petitions I swear! There is no emoticon for what I am feeling right now! BLOOD CURDLING RAGE!

And to answer your question, yes, I have too much time on my hands.
Old 04-21-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by masalacowboy
In this DVD release however the scene of the man being raped from behind has no thrusting involved, it is instead a freeze frame of the scene and then a hard artificial zoom into the table he's laying on, then a quick cut and pan over to the left.
No sodomy = No sale!
Old 04-21-06, 12:29 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EH is this guy's Citizen Kane. I love this movie. I saw it alone in a HUGE theater, and let me tell ya, that can scare the crap out of you.

I won't notice the missing buttsex though. Didn't even know it was there. Is it on the original DVD release?
Old 04-22-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Demonic butt-joy can make or break a film. Both Ozu and Bresson agreed with me.
Old 04-22-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't seen this movie since it first came out on video, but I don't remember any demon buttsecks. Sounds like I missed out on something. Something wonderful.
Old 04-23-06, 03:42 PM

I don't remember that either. And isn't the majority of the footage only quickly glimpsed in brief hyper second? I don't think anyone would notice such material moving at that speed. And even in slow motion,may not be as noticeable. Are you sure you are not just thinking you saw what you did?

Post some screen grabs from the VHS(or previous dvd if it were the same). Since until there is actual proof. I won't believe it too much and be happy with the SE release. Which I plan to watch this evening and can't wait
Old 04-24-06, 08:54 AM

Re: Screencaps

I've purchased the original release and I'm waiting on it to be shipped to me. When I do receive it, I will post comparison pics. But thanks for agreeing with me guys! No sodomy, no sale!

Although I would've much liked it if it was a male doing a female, but demonic buttsex has to be freaky so, I guess that's what Anderson was goin for and he succeeded.
Old 04-24-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I just bought this and rewatched over the weekend (as well as dabbling in the extras). I have to say the missing demon buttsex wasn't noticeable to me. I have a version of this I taped off pay cable, but haven't done the comparison yet -- I guess I don't have too much time on my hands

Certainly PW Anderson's best movie. He got kicked around by critics, but now that we've had Uwe Boll to digest he doesn't look so bad anymore. There are some rough patches -- like the comic-relief jive-talking Cooper character seemed like he dropped in from the wrong movie, and some of the action scenes were pretty silly. But what works, works really well. Great production design, great central concept, and some strong acting work (like Neil, Fishburn, Quinlan). It looks and sounds great on DVD. The audio track has some of the most powerful bass I've ever heard on a DVD -- my whole house was shaking (and my equipment setting were such that normally that shouldn't happen to that degree). The extras seem bountiful too.
Old 04-24-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I have both releases on DVD. I'll see if I can find where/if this happens on the first release and post screen caps.
Old 04-24-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

An animated gif would be nice too.
Old 04-24-06, 07:42 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
I'm so disappointed at the love for this D.O.A. movie but Julie Walker, you disappoint me most of all--I expect better from you. Trust me, I don't think I've ever even seen any other Anderson films, so it's not hate for him; it's hate for a low-rent fusion of 2001 and THE SHINING that fails to bring the intellect of the former or the visceral horror of the latter. I realize film appreciation is relative, but those who have affection for this film, IMO, scare much too easily...
Old 04-24-06, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I'm so disappointed at the love for this D.O.A. movie but Julie Walker, you disappoint me most of all--I expect better from you.
I'm a huge film fan pure and simple and don't care what others think of the films I like. And being a huge horror fan above all else. I don't get caught up in elitist "you're not a real horror fan if you like(insert title here),I'm so ashamed of you for liking(insert title here)" which alot of people get into.

And the film still holds up for me,despite a couple flaws(jive guy) as mentioned before. I think it's a very entertaining and frightening film.

And just so you know. I was abit skeptical when I first saw the film. I thought the opening credits were awsome and kickass. Then I was thinking "Oh this is gonna be so generic,I know where it's going,this won't scare me!" and a few minutes into the film once we catch a glimpse of the video/audio log. I was unnerved and the film disturbed the hell out of me from there on out to the very end. And I enjoyed every minute of it
Old 04-25-06, 01:04 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Anderson stupidly gave up his Guild 10 week right to cut the film down to 4, I think,
It seems the the reels went flying out the developer room door straight to the theaters, they were so behind.
This is a good film-if it had been allowed to develop, and dwell more on the mysteries, it would have been an excellent film
Old 04-25-06, 07:11 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Eh, you don't owe me an explanation, Julie (I own THE AVENGERS, THE POSTMAN and SPEED 2 and make no apologies), and I'm truly not trying to be elitist, it's just that, as a lover of sci-fi and horror, this film could have represented and accomplished so much for me and it failed to do so so thuddingly that I can't help but get rankled when people go on about how good it is or how scary it is. I can't help but wonder what EVEN HORIZON movie they've seen, because they couldn't possibly be talking about the cheese-fest I saw, could they? Not even if they were drunk or high, right? Ah well, the subjectivity of film appreciation moves ever onward...
Old 04-25-06, 08:12 AM
Suspended

Eh, you don't owe me an explanation, Julie (I own THE AVENGERS, THE POSTMAN and SPEED 2 and make no apologies), and I'm truly not trying to be elitist, it's just that, as a lover of sci-fi and horror, this film could have represented and accomplished so much for me and it failed to do so so thuddingly that I can't help but get rankled when people go on about how good it is or how scary it is. I can't help but wonder what EVEN HORIZON movie they've seen, because they couldn't possibly be talking about the cheese-fest I saw, could they? Not even if they were drunk or high, right? Ah well, the subjectivity of film appreciation moves ever onward...
Event Horizon may not be perfect, but really, compare it to anything else in the sci-fi/horror genre of the last 15 years and what's a whole hell of a lot better? Screamers? Supernova? Jason X?

It's a semi-effective haunted house in space movie and it looks great to boot. But at only 90 minutes or so it's obvious the film was hacked to bits and in those cases the fleshing out of the story always seems to be the first casualty.

And Jesus... Speed 2? I was with you until The Postman but... Speed 2? Criminy.

Last edited by lotsofdvds; 04-25-06 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 08:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds

And Jesus... Speed 2? I was with you until The Postman but... Speed 2? Criminy.
funny, a very small portion of us DVDTalkers do like Speed 2 (runs around corner in fear of getting a slap).
Old 04-25-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm so disappointed at the love for this D.O.A. movie but Julie Walker, you disappoint me most of all--I expect better from you. Trust me, I don't think I've ever even seen any other Anderson films, so it's not hate for him; it's hate for a low-rent fusion of 2001 and THE SHINING that fails to bring the intellect of the former or the visceral horror of the latter. I realize film appreciation is relative, but those who have affection for this film, IMO, scare much too easily...
Eh, you don't owe me an explanation, Julie (I own THE AVENGERS, THE POSTMAN and SPEED 2 and make no apologies)
You also own Halloween: Resurrection.

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 04-25-06 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Event Horizon may not be perfect, but really, compare it to anything else in the sci-fi/horror genre of the last 15 years and what's a whole hell of a lot better? Screamers? Supernova? Jason X?
I don't follow this argument; it passes the quality test because it doesn't suck as much as the other films you listed? Hey, 10% on a test score is still a failing grade...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.