Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Event Horizon - Special Collector's Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Event Horizon - Special Collector's Edition'

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I don't follow this argument; it passes the quality test because it doesn't suck as much as the other films you listed? Hey, 10% on a test score is still a failing grade...
My point was simply, what's better? Your issue then wouldn't be with this film, but with the genre itself.

As a reviewer, I've always judged movies against similar titles in the same genre. I liked the film itself, and it's leaps and bounds better than other films in the same class. It's also superior to anything else the director has made. Bonus points. I give it credit for entertaining me, and extra credit for being better than everything else.

This thread is getting too serious. We were talking about the deleted ass raping. Sorry to get off topic with discussions of merit.

Last edited by lotsofdvds; 04-25-06 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 10:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds

As a reviewer, I've always judged movies against similar titles in the same genre. I liked the film itself, and it's leaps and bounds better than other films in the same class. It's also superior to anything else the director has made. Bonus points. I give it credit for entertaining me, and extra credit for being better than everything else.

(Butters - he's a stitch).
Old 04-25-06, 02:06 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My point was simply, what's better? Your issue then wouldn't be with this film, but with the genre itself.
Wrong on a couple of accounts; one, I do value the genre (my affection for the ALIEN franchise is evidence enough of that). Two, the films you mentioned are rarely championed whereas this one often is by a vocal minority, which is why I feel the need to counter those accolades which its similarly useless peers never receive.
Old 04-25-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
I don't follow this argument; it passes the quality test because it doesn't suck as much as the other films you listed? Hey, 10% on a test score is still a failing grade...
You said:

it's hate for a low-rent fusion of 2001 and THE SHINING that fails to bring the intellect of the former or the visceral horror of the latter.
It doesn't pass the quality test because it's not as good as the other films you listed? A comparison which 99.9% of films would fail? You're using exactly the same type of non-sensical argument as the one you don't seem to be able to follow...

Event Horizon is far from a masterpiece but, despite it's flaws, it's a hell of a lot better than most films in the genre.
Old 04-25-06, 02:45 PM
Suspended

Wrong on a couple of accounts; one, I do value the genre (my affection for the ALIEN franchise is evidence enough of that). Two, the films you mentioned are rarely championed whereas this one often is by a vocal minority, which is why I feel the need to counter those accolades which its similarly useless peers never receive.
Would you say that Alien: Resurrection or Alien Vs. Predator is better than Event Horizon?
Old 04-25-06, 02:48 PM
Retired

Films are 100% subjective, no reason to really question others reviews or rankings of movies, especially not to be elitist about it.
Old 04-25-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Event Horizon is far from a masterpiece but, despite it's flaws, it's a hell of a lot better than most films in the genre.
You admit that this is not exactly resounding praise?
Old 04-25-06, 02:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Can't movies just be "good"? Why does everything have to either be supremely outstanding or spectacularly bad?

Event Horizon is good. Not great, not horrible. Good. Although now a little less so since it's minus a nano-second of assraping.
Old 04-25-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Can't movies just be "good"? Why does everything have to either be supremely outstanding or spectacularly bad?
I'm in complete agreement.
Old 04-25-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love this film. I remember seeing this opening night in the theater and being completely freaked out. Last time I watched it was a few years ago on VHS. Just picked up the 2-discer and I must say it still holds up well. Those shots from the ship's log are just so disturbing. This is one of the few films that have been released in the last 10 or so years that have been truly scary. I think the isolation factor really helps with the setting. They have no place to go. Definitely has that "haunted house in space" effect.
Old 04-25-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think anyone is saying that it's a masterpiece.
Old 04-25-06, 05:01 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
You said:

It doesn't pass the quality test because it's not as good as the other films you listed? A comparison which 99.9% of films would fail? You're using exactly the same type of non-sensical argument as the one you don't seem to be able to follow...
My argument is not non-sensical and I stand by it; I would never expect the film to reach the heights of either 2001 or THE SHINING, but for it to fall so thuddingly short of those targets is the point of discussion at hand.
Old 04-25-06, 05:01 PM
Banned

Would you say that Alien: Resurrection or Alien Vs. Predator is better than Event Horizon?
Yes to the former (though admittedly not by any great measure), no to the latter (and I do not consider said latter to be part of the ALIEN franchise, personally).
Old 04-26-06, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In response to my "resounding praise" comment:
I don't think anyone is saying that it's a masterpiece.
Can't movies just be "good"? Why does everything have to either be supremely outstanding or spectacularly bad? .
I should clarify. I think that there's much better ways to declare your support for a film than to say "it's not nearly as bad as other stuff out there". Comments like that do the film you're attempting to champion a disservice.

I'm not sure what lotsofdvd's comment is referencing.
Old 04-26-06, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In response to my "resounding praise" comment:

I should clarify. I think that there's much better ways to declare your support for a film than to say "it's not nearly as bad as other stuff out there". Comments like that do the film you're attempting to champion a disservice.
Resounding praise? Champion? I think saying that this film is better than the standard genre fare is accurate. I'm not sure why you seem to expect "resounding praise" or "championning" of this film...
Old 04-26-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe if they hadn't cut out the demon buttsex, more people could "get behind it".
Old 04-26-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a fan of the film - not exactly a hater either - but I do find it unfortunate that certain scenes (or scene) was cut. I've seen the film a couple of times on cable, and those cutaways are the only parts that really stuck with me, like very brief windows opening up on a far better film. A film that's not preoccupied with the boring genre elements and sorry attempts at humor, even the unintentional variety like those dumb-assed "perches" on the (non demonic) ship's bridge that remind me of that impossible modern chair in Woody Allen's "Sleeper".

So, even though only a brief cutaway was excised, it just happened to be one of those few short glimpses of undiluted, unrestrained, nearly visionary horror. And even that, apparently, was too much. So, instead of an extended version featuring more such unrestrained visionary images of horror over what we presumed was a watered-down theatrical release, we get an even more watered-down version.
Old 04-26-06, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Resounding praise? Champion? I think saying that this film is better than the standard genre fare is accurate. I'm not sure why you seem to expect "resounding praise" or "championning" of this film...
Again, my point is missed.

There is a difference between saying "this is better than standard fare" and "it doesn't suck as bad as everything else out there". One is positive and denotes a good film; one is negative and conjures up the image of a film that is terrible, with a couple of good moments that elevate it above regular dreck.

Also, the verb "to champion" means "to defend and/or support". It's a perfectly valid term.
Old 04-26-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"it doesn't suck as bad as everything else out there".
These are your words not mine.

Also, the verb "to champion" means "to defend and/or support". It's a perfectly valid term.
"Champion": To fight for, defend, or support as a champion ("championed the cause of civil rights").

That's a big step up from simply "support".

Last edited by eXcentris; 04-26-06 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-26-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I do find it unfortunate that certain scenes (or scene) was cut.
So, even though only a brief cutaway was excised, it just happened to be one of those few short glimpses of undiluted, unrestrained, nearly visionary horror. And even that, apparently, was too much. So, instead of an extended version featuring more such unrestrained visionary images of horror over what we presumed was a watered-down theatrical release, we get an even more watered-down version.
How do we know the scene is 'cut' or 'altered' on the new release? So far we only have one person spreading the information around the internet claiming the footage is altered/cut.

How do we not know it was not just his imagination seeing things and it was never really there?

I've seen people arguing over Hostel on various forums claiming that the first full torture scene in the film is "censored and doesn't show him getting drilled in the chest". They claim to have seen the film in theaters and it 'showed' the charecter being drilled in the chest.

Yet in the R & Unrated versions,you never see the charecter drilled in the chest. You hear the drilling and then see the wounds afterwards. Also this torture scene plays exactly the same in the unrated version. So it was not 'cut' down at all.

But they are so sure they 'saw' what they did and are claiming the unrated version is 'cut even more than the R version'. And that somewhere,even more graphic footage exists that was cut out.

In reality,their imaginations are working overtime. So how do we not know this is not the case with Event Horizon?

And until someone can create a little clip of both versions in slow motion to post on the interet. I won't believe the new dvd is 'cut' or 'altered' in anyway.
Old 04-27-06, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

These are your words not mine.
It's paraphrasing, eX, and not just of your statements or this thread.

As for quibbling over the meaning of perfectly valid words - I'm sorry you're taking this thread topic so very seriously. I've said my piece, I've been very reasonable, and my comments are fair and justified. I will not further this irrelevant "argument".

Now then! Any news on the ass-rape from hell-space? Or, is it just like Julie and I supect - a false memory?

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 04-27-06 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-27-06, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Thread crap

Say what you will about Andersons films in general. I'm not a big fan myself. But even I will honestly say Event Horizon kicks all kinds of major ass. And is one hell of a well made frightening terror trip,that freaks me out and delivers the goods big time. The set design,cinematography,atmosphere,score,use of audio. Everything just works like a charm in this film to keep you on edge until the bleak ending.

It's a classic in my opinion and very underrrated among elitists who will despise anything that has Andersons name on it.
I DO dispise anything with Andersons name on it...... or Uwe Boll.
Between the two of them, they have completely destroyed the credibilty of films based on video games and forever relegated them to B-film throw-aways which will never get proper screenwriting care or attention.

I think many video games have great story-telling narratives, premises, characters, etc.... and I blame Anderson and Boll that these will never be realised on film (not to mention that it has lowered the opinion of the general public of the quality/importance of video games by having associations with sub-par film-making).... Anderson-hater for life. :P
Old 04-28-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For some reason I had never seen this movie. Since it was only $13 (Walmart) I said what the heck and picked it up. Definitely worth it in my opinion. Good gory fun...........

The Beastie Boys music during the ending credits did seem a bit odd though...
Old 04-28-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by ShawnMercury
I DO dispise anything with Andersons name on it...... or Uwe Boll.
Between the two of them, they have completely destroyed the credibilty of films based on video games and forever relegated them to B-film throw-aways which will never get proper screenwriting care or attention.

I think many video games have great story-telling narratives, premises, characters, etc.... and I blame Anderson and Boll that these will never be realised on film (not to mention that it has lowered the opinion of the general public of the quality/importance of video games by having associations with sub-par film-making).... Anderson-hater for life. :P
Are there, or were there ever, any video game movies NOT directed by Bowe or Anderson that actually had any credibility? I can't think of a single good one. Maybe CHOPLIFTER...
Old 04-28-06, 04:52 PM
Banned

For those of you who feel differently about this film than I do, I found the following information on a great (though strange to have been hidden) Easter Egg:

http://www.dvdreview.com/eastereggs/pages/821.shtml

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.