Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

If you were to review/rate DVDs ...

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What aspects would you take into consideration, and what weighting would each have on the final grade? This will vary between individuals but it's nice to see what others value in a DVD.

For me, I rate each aspect out of 5 stars and give each the following weighting in the final grade:

FILM: The most important aspect is the quality of the film. The characters, the plot/narrative, the acting/directing/dialogue. The impact it has. This is worth 60% of the final grade

PICTURE and SOUND: The video and audio transfer, which go hand in hand. Whether it is anamorphic, how clean the print is, how true it is to the theatrical release etc and for Sound, it's looking at the music, the soundtrack mix and the level of immersiveness within the surrounds. I rate each seperately and give each 10% of the final grade

EXTRAS: Extra's don't do that much for me. They're nice on the side but I don't find them important at all much less essential. I look at the quality and quantity of extras and give this 10% of the final grade

AESTHETICS: Things like DVD packaging, cover art, menu design, disc art etc make up a small 5% of the final grade.

REPLAY: Classic films can stand up to being replayed many times. Very good films such as Schindler's List or Million Dollar Baby are excellent in their own right but due to the disturbing nature of their content may not receive such a high rating here, but still need to be in a DVD collection. So this rating is given the last 5% of the final grade.