DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   David Lynch-like films... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/460912-david-lynch-like-films.html)

alfonsosoriano 04-01-06 07:16 PM

David Lynch-like films...

I'm really starting to like David Lynch alot, so I was wondering if you guys could recommend more movies like his from other directors.

Squirrel God 04-01-06 08:12 PM

OK, here are just a few. I'm sure others will post more.

After Hours (director: Martin Scorsese)

Audition (director: Takashi Miike)

Fear X (director: Nicolas Winding Refn)

Northfork (director: Michael Polish)

Persona (director: Ingmar Bergman)

Pi (director: Darren Aronofsky)

Reconstruction (director: Christoffer Boe)

garmonbozia 04-01-06 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
I'm really starting to like David Lynch alot, so I was wondering if you guys could recommend more movies like his from other directors.

If you want to see more surrealist films outside of Lynch, check out all the films by Luis Bunuel:

on dvd off the top of my head:
Un Chien Andalou
L'Age D'or
Diary of a Chambermaid
Discreet Charm of the Bourgeiosie
That Obscur Object of Desire
Viridiana
Belle De Jour

garmonbozia 04-01-06 08:26 PM

Also, I'll second 'After Hours', 'Pi' (and also 'Requiem for a Dream'), and pretty much any film by Ingmar Bergman as well.

garmonbozia 04-01-06 08:31 PM

oh and one more thing, you should also check out the work of Maya Deren:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JMRA
order the dvd from here:
http://www.mysticfire.com/index.html...35993251397682
If you like surrealism, you will not be disappointed.

garmonbozia 04-01-06 08:34 PM

....and you might also want to consider seeing Peter Weir's Picnic At Hanging Rock as well.

alfonsosoriano 04-01-06 10:02 PM

Awesome. Thanks guys.

sandwalker 04-02-06 08:23 PM

I'll second Audition by Takashi Miike but i'll also suggest Gozu by Miike.

Also i'd say The Reflecting Skin by Philip Ridley along with The Passion of Darkly Noon by Philip Ridley.

Sadly The Reflecting Skin has never been released on DVD here. As to to The Passion of Darkly Noon, I have seen it at video rental places but i'm pretty sure it's a DVD from Canada.

Darryl 04-02-06 09:26 PM

The Reflecting Skin is available as a region 3 Japanese release. It's bareboned other than a trailer and sells for over $40.00. It was an ok film at best.

gryffinmaster 04-02-06 10:16 PM

If you want a film that you need to see multiple times to figure out all of the intricate parts a la Mulholland Dr., check out Stay. Very good film. :up:

Filmmaker 04-03-06 11:06 AM

Here's some slightly more audience-friendly picks than what have been listed so far that retain much of Lynch's surreality:
DONNIE DARKO
A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
EYES WIDE SHUT
JACOB'S LADDER
THX-1138
VANILLA SKY

alfonsosoriano 04-03-06 09:41 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

toddly6666 04-04-06 09:18 AM

Lost Highway is actually like a non-scary version of Jacob's Ladder. I felt like both movies had similar creepy atmosphere. I was covering my eyes all through out Lost Highway waiting to be scared. By the end of the movie, nothing scary happened.

alfonsosoriano 04-04-06 07:35 PM

Sounds good guys...

Bateman 04-04-06 09:21 PM

Barton Fink
Persona

You may also check out some of David Cronenberg's films.

illennium 04-07-06 10:43 AM

Check out 4, a Russian film in theaters now (in NYC, at least--may be a bit later elsewhere). I haven't seen it yet, but apparently it strongly evokes Blue Velvet.

Talkin2Phil 04-24-06 09:52 AM

Seconds (1966)

I watched this over the weekend and 20 mins into the film I thought “I’m watching a David Lynch movie”-Great style, camera technique, mystery, and bizarreness. Highly recommended.

brainee 04-24-06 11:22 AM

The Bergman movie that most reminds me of Lynch is "Hour of the Wolf". Also mentioned, Cronenberg is a really good bet, especially "Videodrome", "Crash", "Existenz", "Spider". A couple of recent Japanese filmmakers that remind me of Lynch are Kiyoshi Kurasawa ("Cure", "Charisma", "Pulse") and Shinya Tsukamoto ("Snake of June", "Gemini", "Bullet Ballet").

alfonsosoriano 04-25-06 09:55 PM

I <3 Videodrome. I own the barebones and CC, haha. The only CC I own and probably will ever own.

Giles 04-25-06 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by illennium
Check out 4, a Russian film in theaters now (in NYC, at least--may be a bit later elsewhere). I haven't seen it yet, but apparently it strongly evokes Blue Velvet.

4 comes out on DVD in the UK either last Monday or the next.

obscurelabel 04-26-06 11:04 AM

Here are a couple that I think are worthy:

Dementia / Daughter of Horror. Two versions of the same movie, the former is the original with no dialog or narration; the latter has narration by Ed McMahon of all people and a few edits. Go with the original.

Fahrenheit 451. One of my favorites. Subject matter (a world where reading is prohibited), a number of odd touches (Julie Christie in a dual role, simple camera tricks used to striking effect), and a deadpan style make this one definitely off-kilter.

Lynchian? You decide.

Giles 04-26-06 11:19 AM

Carnival of Souls

Richard Malloy 04-26-06 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
I <3 Videodrome. I own the barebones and CC, haha. The only CC I own and probably will ever own.

Since you like Cronenberg and are looking for something Lynchian, you might want to grab "Naked Lunch" from Criterion. I'd also recommend Warner Bros. new remaster of "Dead Ringers". I would add, however, that although Cronenberg tends to get lumped in with Lynch, Cronenberg is Cronenberg and Lynch is Lynch, and their two styles bear only a superficial resemblance.

Honestly, there are very few non-Lynch films that deserve to be called "Lynchian". Takashi Miike's "Gozu" is very Lynchian, and intentionally so, but that's the only non-Lynch film I can recall off the top of my head that set out to be "Lynchian".

Jan Svankmajer's "Little Otik" is not self-consciously Lynchian, but I suspect that "Little Otik" will strike you as Eraserheadish at the least. That said, like Cronenberg, Svankmajer's films bespeak his own peculiar brand of stop-motion surrealism. If you like "Otik", check out his short films and also "Alice" (as in "Alice in Wonderland").

Other fellow travelers would be the Brothers Quay, though they are perhaps more similar to Svankmajer than Lynch. Try out their collection of shorts, as well as "Institute Benjamenta".

Denethor 04-27-06 10:48 AM

"Don't look now". Very creepy.

Life4NicK 08-08-08 09:33 AM

Lynch-like

A little update:

Buddy Boy (Eraserhead is a clear influence)
Woodenhead
Wild Palms (this is a TV series and I believe Lynch was a big influence)
The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes (it's not Lynch but the atmosphere is similar)

Any other suggestions ?