DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   David Lynch-like films... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/460912-david-lynch-like-films.html)

RichC2 08-08-08 12:25 PM

wow, that was a hell of a bump.

Videodrome was the first thing to come to mind when I saw the thread title, but that was covered early on. Lynch's own Inland Empire has since come and gone.

Gozu (d: Takashi Miike)

Sunset Blvd (to an extent)

there is an anime series (13 eps) called Serial Experiments Lain that always reminded me of Lynch crossed with Cronenberg.

NoirFan 08-08-08 05:19 PM

Altman's 3 Women has somewhat of a Lynch-esque feel to it, especially the second half, the obscure ending in particular.

wilky61 08-08-08 07:39 PM

I always lump Lynch into the same category as Bergman/Bunuel/Cronenberg/Terry Gilliam's "Brazil." Cronenberg's early output, that is.

I'd like to emphasize the recommendation of Bergman's Persona btw. Just re-watched it yesterday and it still blows my mind. I just want to keep watching it over and over until I make it mine.

NoirFan 08-08-08 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by wilky61
I'd like to emphasize the recommendation of Bergman's Persona btw. Just re-watched it yesterday and it still blows my mind. I just want to keep watching it over and over until I make it mine.

Check out 3 Women then, it is influenced by the Bergman film.

project86 08-08-08 09:57 PM

Anthony Hopkins movie Slipstream is very lynch-ish.

inri222 08-08-08 11:30 PM

Orson Welles' The Trial

Roman Polanski's The Tenant

LiquidSky 08-11-08 01:31 PM

http://i34.tinypic.com/2qknwvo.jpg

clckworang 08-11-08 02:40 PM

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Guy Maddin. Definitely a great director for fans of surrealism in film.

TGM 08-11-08 02:49 PM

Good Burger

NoirFan 08-11-08 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Good Burger

My, what an unfunny and unoriginal poster you are.

RichC2 08-11-08 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
My, what an unfunny and unoriginal poster you are.

Pot, Kettle, Black

NoirFan 08-12-08 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Pot, Kettle, Black

Excuse me?

Shannon Nutt 08-12-08 08:33 AM

I'm sure some will disagree, but I've always thought MOULIN ROUGE was what a musical by David Lynch might look/feel like.

RichC2 08-12-08 08:40 AM

Excuse me?

Not so complicated.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm sure some will disagree, but I've always thought MOULIN ROUGE was what a musical by David Lynch might look/feel like.

I actually always felt Dancer in the Dark was more along those lines, though I can see MR being mentioned in that same line (I just really hate the movie). Or maybe Happiness of the Katakuris.

The series Canivale always struck me as Lynch-esque. Not exactly a film but certainly worth checking out.

Also, A Snake of June and to a lesser extent, Uzumaki (which struck me as Tim Burton by way of David Lynch, if that makes a lick of sense).

riotinmyskull 08-12-08 08:51 AM

movies:
brick
electra glide in blue
i love your work
tetsuo: the iron man
bad boy bubby

directors:
miike
tsukamoto
bergman
cronenberg

Giles 08-12-08 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
movies:
brick
electra glide in blue
i love your work
tetsuo: the iron man
bad boy bubby

directors:
miike
tsukamoto
bergman
cronenberg

oh please, that's an insult to Lynch... such overrated trite

Life4NicK 08-12-08 11:53 AM

I saw Brick last week-end and found nothing special about it. Nor Lynchian.

I'm currently watch the anime series Serial Experiments Lain as someone suggested and so far I have to agree, very Lynchesque !

Btw, I'm trying to watch all the movies your guys are posting, keep it going ! ;)

clckworang 08-12-08 03:46 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't call Brick a bad film, but it certainly didn't strike me as being very Lynch. If anything, I think it was clearly trying to remind us more of movies like The Big Sleep.

NoirFan 08-12-08 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
If anything, I think it was clearly trying to remind us more of movies like The Big Sleep.

Trying a bit too hard for the snappy patter of classic noir. The pseudo-hardboiled dialog, coming from the mouths of modern teenagers, just didn't ring true for me. Having only seen Joseph Gordon-Levitt on Third Rock, however, his performance was a real revelation.

Not so complicated.

Wow, I bow before your superior intellect.

RichC2 08-12-08 05:44 PM

Wow, I bow before your superior intellect.

Score! That was easier than anticipated.

Oh wait. God damned sarcasm.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was excellent in The Lookout and almost held Brick together... almost. I have to agree with the complaints against it, in the end, it just didn't work.

clckworang 08-12-08 05:48 PM

Brick just felt like the filmmakers all thought they were being very clever. And yes, it was trying a bit too hard. And I thought the actors tried hard, too. Again, didn't hate the film, but certainly didn't feel the need to run out and grab it. And certainly not Lynchian.

inri222 08-12-08 06:12 PM

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was excellent in The Lookout and almost held Brick together... almost.

You should see the excellent (Non-Lynchian) Mysterious Skin,
he was great in that.

RichC2 08-12-08 07:05 PM

Forgot about that one, yes he is.

riotinmyskull 08-13-08 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Life4NicK
I saw Brick last week-end and found nothing special about it. Nor Lynchian.

a dead blonde girl high school murder mystery? yep nothing lynchian about that.

i think you guys are just looking for 'mindfuck' movies not 'lynchian'.

RichC2 08-13-08 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
a dead blonde girl high school murder mystery? yep nothing lynchian about that.

i think you guys are just looking for 'mindfuck' movies not 'lynchian'.

Lynchian generally means less mindfuck more quirky/strange with a very distinguishable sense of atmosphere. The main exceptions to this would be Elephant Man, Dune and The Straight Story.

And there wasn't anything "Lynchian" about Brick other than its unsuccessful use of noir conventions. Yes, its plot is similar to Twin Peaks on the most basic of terms, but that's like saying Insomnia is Lynchian.