Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Best of Not The 9 O'Clock News'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-06, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20776

Unfortunately the producers felt compelled to place an obnoxious laugh track over the show.
You sure about this? My impression is that the show was shot in the Python/SNL style, with the studio stuff performed in front of an audience and the pre-recorded bits shown to that audience via monitors. There are at least a few moments in the series were the audience was actually shown (one such example can be seen here). There may have been some sketches that weren't shown to the audience for whatever reason (in which case the producers might've added a laugh track in post for the sake of consistency) but I'm pretty sure the bulk of the show was recorded or shown before live viewers.

Last edited by Dan Average; 03-22-06 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-22-06, 10:15 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While some of it may be live, I'm certain that at least some of the laughter is canned. It was most obvious during the quick films where they would cut together disparate scenes like a native Africans dancing and then show the queen with wide eyes or something. The laughter would all start and fade at the same time and the same rate.

I did assume that it was filmed before a live audiance, but those clips changed my mind. I'll alter the review though just in case. Thanks for mentioning this.