Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Frisco Kid'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-14-06, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding Stuart Galbraith's DVD review of The Frisco Kid at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20598...

I can't disagree with any of Stuart's observations, but I wonder how many readers unfamiliar with The Frisco Kid wade through the first three paragraphs to learn the delightful strengths of Gene Wilder's performance in this unpolished little gem.

For an enjoyable lark, a couple hours "away from it all", I can recommend few films higher than The Frisco Kid. Sure, Citizen Kane commands a place of honor in my DVD collection, but I'll pull down The Frisco Kid more often and have more fun riding along with Rabbi Belinski.

I certainly understand how a student of film and filmmaking may have difficulty seeing past the distraction of Aldrich's technique -- I have trouble reading Anne Rice for similar reasons; I can't help editing her work. So well-earned kudoes to Galbraith for getting there.

The Frisco Kid, I wholeheartedly agree, contains one of Wilder's best, most endearing portrayals. His delivery of his character's broken-English dialogue ("I'll take a crack" [at something]) have stuck with me from the film's theatrical release. Val Bisoglio, too, has some memorable fun with his jaded-chief role. Harrison Ford, who's not the titular Frisco Kid (shame on Warners, indeed) but displays some of his best loveable-rogue work, joins Gary Oldman (in Leon) in demonstrating how to deliver a single-word line (in Oldman's case, "Everyone"; with Ford it's, "Please!") with conviction.

I'm glad to have the 16:9 transfer and the complete trailer (how film marketing over the years has changed is always an interesting sidenote), but I'm a little disappointed with the (slightly) fudged aspect ratio and scarcity of other extras.