Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 04:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read John Wallis's DVD review of Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18284 and...I would like to know how this set compares to BRUCE LEE : THE MASTER COLLECTION DVD SET? Is there anything on the Master set that would be lost if I were to "upgrade" to the newer Ultimate Collection?
Old 03-08-06, 09:32 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

I believe you lose the "Bruce Lee: The Legend" documentary, but considering the upgrade in quality (and original edits, I think?) the new set offers, I'd say it's a fair trade-off.
Old 03-10-06, 02:33 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's too bad they don't see Bruce Lee The Legend seperately, it's a great doco
Old 03-12-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, in terms of transfer quality, The Master Collection really pales in comparison. The Legend is on okay doc but contains some pretty bad factual errors. The loss/gain ratio seriously favors The Ultimate Collection because with it you at least get some good transfers.

But, yeah, I agree. the one thing keeping The Ultimate Collection from being really great is that it should have a Bruce doc or Enter the Dragon in the spot that Game of Death 2 occupies.
Old 03-13-06, 09:33 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Well, Enter the Dragon belongs to another studio, so there's no chance of having it included. (And the 2-disc of that movie is such a keeper that it deserves to be on its own anyway.)
Old 03-17-06, 03:52 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Well, in terms of transfer quality, The Master Collection really pales in comparison. The Legend is on okay doc but contains some pretty bad factual errors. The loss/gain ratio seriously favors The Ultimate Collection because with it you at least get some good transfers.

But, yeah, I agree. the one thing keeping The Ultimate Collection from being really great is that it should have a Bruce doc or Enter the Dragon in the spot that Game of Death 2 occupies.
Just out of interest, what factual errors were there in the doc?
Old 03-24-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Fok
Just out of interest, what factual errors were there in the doc?
Its been a long time since I saw it, so I cannot go into any specifics from memory. But I recall it playing to some of the ol' "myth of Bruce" not-a-factiods, but, most docs do sort of play to the larger than life persona by overblowing some things (like his supposed challenges/fights with martial masters who were upset with his teaching) and glossing over others (like his infidelity).