Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Holly E. Ordway's DVD review of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20490 and...she is wrong. The Goblet is the least video-illustrated version of the 4 films out so far. Given the raw material to work with this is the best movie that could be made from the book Ms. Rowling wrote. I will agree that the Prisoner is the most compelling of the stories so far, and Goblet is less complelling in the basic plot outline. Still there is much to recommend this film and a reluctant recommend rating does not do it justice. To give crap like Solutions for Cyclo-Cross a highly recommend and this fine example of Family entertainment barely a recommend is a travesty. Consider how many DVD libraries Goblet should be be in versus Cyclo-cross.
Old 03-07-06, 08:29 AM
Cool New Member

really?

I'm not sure I agree with the meat of the review stating that Harry Potter can't be appreciated if you haven't read the book (and that it's too much a page by page). I have not read any of the books (and have yet to have a desire to) but I found Goblet to be the first one that I actually got involved in. To compare to the others: Azkaban was well made, with a great look and feel but man does it ever get muddled down in the middle section. The first film was boring to me, although I understood it was just a set up. The second a strong film but ultimately emotionally lacking.

Maybe it's just because they are finally getting to deal with more adult issues, but I found myself engaged in Fire and even taken aback by some of its darkness because for once these characters felt like people in the movie...that's saying a lot.
Old 03-07-06, 08:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by blindzero
I'm not sure I agree with the meat of the review stating that Harry Potter can't be appreciated if you haven't read the book (and that it's too much a page by page). I have not read any of the books (and have yet to have a desire to) but I found Goblet to be the first one that I actually got involved in. To compare to the others: Azkaban was well made, with a great look and feel but man does it ever get muddled down in the middle section. .
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you on Azkaban. Now it was the only book (of the series) I listened to on unabridged audio cassette - and with what they cut for the film, I thought it was very flawed.

As to DVD, the review really sunk my anticipation for this on the quality of the film to video transfer. Maybe this will be resolved with the release of the HiDef DVD edition of the film.
Old 03-07-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by horton
I read Holly E. Ordway's DVD review of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20490 and...she is wrong. The Goblet is the least video-illustrated version of the 4 films out so far. Given the raw material to work with this is the best movie that could be made from the book Ms. Rowling wrote. I will agree that the Prisoner is the most compelling of the stories so far, and Goblet is less complelling in the basic plot outline. Still there is much to recommend this film and a reluctant recommend rating does not do it justice. To give crap like Solutions for Cyclo-Cross a highly recommend and this fine example of Family entertainment barely a recommend is a travesty. Consider how many DVD libraries Goblet should be be in versus Cyclo-cross.
As a "Harry Potter" outsider, I can't accurately comment on the movie itself or Holly's review. But you honestly can't flat-out tell someone their opinion is wrong and expect it to change things, especially by criticizing Holly's other reviews in the process.
Old 03-07-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, Randy.

I think (or at least I hope) that most readers understand that the recommendation has to be taken in context. Otherwise, any DVD that's not totally mainstream could never get more than a "rent it" recommendation. Clearly something like a cycling-related DVD is going to be of interest only to those people who are fans of cycling, and it's for that audience that it's recommended.

A sampling of my own friends and acquaintances shows a variety of responses to The Goblet of Fire, most similar to my own reaction but some not. There's no way I can accurately represent everyone's reaction, and indeed I'm not trying to; I'm recounting my own reaction and, to the best of my ability, explaining why I feel that way. You may or may not agree with me, and neither one of us is wrong.

That's actually why I made sure to include my thoughts on Prisoner vs. Goblet. If you strongly disagree with my review/reaction to Prisoner, then chances are we're not looking for the same things in the film, so it's quite likely that you'll be more hooked on Goblet than I was. I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other, but rather give you a response that hopefully will help you decide whether it's something you'd like to see, or buy, or not.

Incidentally, I did think Goblet was OK. After all, it did get three stars (a positive rating) and a "recommended." I'm not a reviewer who gives TEN STARS!!!@#@!! BEST MOVIE EVER!@!!!! to every single halfway decent movie so a "recommended" is a perfectly reasonable rating from my point of view.
Old 03-07-06, 02:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
Originally Posted by horton
I read Holly E. Ordway's DVD review of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=20490 and...she is wrong. To give crap like Solutions for Cyclo-Cross a highly recommend and this fine example of Family entertainment barely a recommend is a travesty.
Old 03-07-06, 02:27 PM
Retired

I have to agree it's silly to be so harsh of one's opinion on a movie.

They are entirely subjective and no one's is any better than anyone else's.

That's why I rarely put any stock in once single review. I'll read a few, check Rotten Tomatoes, read the review threads in the forum to try to get a feel about the general opinion on a movie sometimes before going to see it. That way I can get a general perspective on whether it's good or not and then see it and judge it for myself.
Old 03-07-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by blindzero
I'm not sure I agree with the meat of the review stating that Harry Potter can't be appreciated if you haven't read the book (and that it's too much a page by page). I have not read any of the books (and have yet to have a desire to) but I found Goblet to be the first one that I actually got involved in.
Therefore I would think that you have no solid ground to step on and address the review...esp. when the meat of the criticism stated above addresses the reviewer's opinion about the book and its film adaptation. So, between involvement and appreciation I think that there is plenty of middle ground!!

Pro-B
Old 03-07-06, 04:50 PM

well, IMO Holly's review is spot-on and exactly how I felt after watching the latest Harry Potter flick. I've never read the books but have seen every Potter movie in it's opening weekend, own the dvds and this is first I'm truly disappointed with. Its not a bad movie but it teases you so much with glimpses only to skip everyone else and fast forward to Harry's involvement in the scene. From the top of my head, first theres the World Quiddich tournament and showing us the "best player in the world" and players flying around this massive stadium and then BAM! You're in a tent with the kids, not having watched a single play from any of the matches, OKAY... rest of the movie consists of jumping around from scene to scene with bad transitions, characters randomly appearing for 15 seconds, you feel as if something important is happening but don't feel the full force of it. It all just seemed so random that I was confused as to what the heck was going on (and trust me I'm not easily confused). Theres some asian girl Harry has a crush on, whom I assume plays an important role in future films (and you'd think so considering how many websites there are about her character online) but shes in the movie maybe 5 minutes, usually in the background or on the side, as most of the characters are. In fact, now that I think of it, there were these twins who are seemingly in a good majority of the movie purely for comedy. With the movie feeling so rushed, its a fair question that begs to be asked, why devote so much unnecessary time to these guys (whose jokes don't even work half the time), when time could be spent on making those key scenes longer. All just for some "laughs."

I won't get into the end for sake of "spoiling" it for those who haven't read the book but its more of the same. Harry is around these other young, talented wizards who are shoved aside (we never see them in action but we just know they are indeed talented) so we can see Harry do battle. Which leads to my other major quibble. Harry's character. I can't stress it enough, there are these young, talented seemingly important wizards around Harry but you never see them in action. Its as if we're not supposed to care seeing them perform because its all about Harry. And thats the sad thing as Harry is frustrating IMO to watch. I'm not sure if this is how hes portrayed in the book but can he take initiative already !?!? Hes approaching adulthood, everyone knows hes got great potential in him and obviously in his years at Hogwarts has faced and conquered quite a few challenges that kids his age would have be killed. But the boy is completely reactionary, no idea or action is his own, and its no more apparent than in this film IMO.

Now I liked all the previous films and feel Azkaban is the best, darkest, most mature, though far from perfect. So i went into this film with high expectations only to be thoroughly disappointed. Its just so rushed and doesn't try to explain itself, its like you're supposed to know whats going on. Again I've never read any of the books but this is the first I've had difficulty following and I never felt involved in this movie. That said, the younger ones I saw it with, exclaimed how good it was at the end while I pondered how it ever came to be released as it was.
Old 03-07-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do agree the film felt rushed, and since its my favorite of the books, I have to say I was a bit disappointed in it. I think its a problem though that isnt new to people however. Its only in the past few years that I have really started to get heavily into reading and watching adaptations of some of my favorite books. I had similar issues with Memoirs of a Geisha, and I think its something that I will have to learn to deal with. I have yet to watch the dvd so I cant comment on the technical merits, but the review of the film is pretty close to what I felt while watching the movie in theatres. Im anxious in revisiting it and seeing if my opinion changes at all.
Old 03-07-06, 09:38 PM
Cool New Member

I agree with you that the film felt somewhat rushed and sometimes this caused the movie to be disorienting, but your grading seems harsh both on the movie and extras. I’m not sure what more you could want from the extras. Azkaban was my favorite of the films also.
Old 03-07-06, 10:39 PM

It's the best of the bunch...SORRY!
Old 03-08-06, 03:35 AM

Location: Turn right by the whatchamacallit and follow the doohickey north
From the perspective of someone who watched the movie in the theater, read the book, and now watched the DVD, in that order, I quite enjoyed it. When I saw it in the cinema I was riveted, particularly by the graveyard scene at the end. I agree that parts of the film were rushed, but under the time constraints I can understand why. The review is a bit harsher than I would be, but this DVD isn't up to the Collectors Series level. I liked the extras on disc 2, but they were a little thin to warrant a separate version. Reflecting back after reading the book and seeing it again, I do miss a few things that were changed(No Dursleys, Dobby, or Winky). I did enjoy the Hungarian Horntail scene more in the movie than what is in the book though. The acting is what I have come to expect from the Harry Potter movies(which is pretty good). I liked Azkaban slightly better than the rest mainly because of the performances of the adult actors. Any fan of fantasy and adventure would not want to miss this movie in my opinion.
Old 03-08-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by audiomixer
It's the best of the bunch...SORRY!
Thanks for clearly stating your informed opinion and backing it up with logic and reason. For your sterling efforts, you are granted unlimited use of the IMDb message boards and the "Caps Lock" key.
Old 03-08-06, 09:24 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

I, for one, would much rather read a very well-written review that went against my own opinions than read a mediocre one that matches them. Disagreed with much of what Holly had to say, but damn, if she didn't say them convincingly and intelligently.

And as Holly said - all ratings must be taken in the context of the review. Just glimpsing at her review list and finding a title with a high rating is lazy and ridiculous. If you can't be bothered with reading WHY she would give something a "highly recommended," then you shouldn't bother with anything at all.
Old 03-08-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by David Cornelius
I, for one, would much rather read a very well-written review that went against my own opinions than read a mediocre one that matches them. Disagreed with much of what Holly had to say, but damn, if she didn't say them convincingly and intelligently.
I have to agree. One of my favorite reviewers (on another site) typically disagrees with my personal tastes. But I've read enough of his reviews to put his opinions into a context that makes sense to me. I keep reading because I happen to think he writes good reviews. Not because he likes the same things I do.

I've not seen the movie yet and probably won't until this weekend, but I think Holly did a great job with the review. Her review didn't lead me to think the movie sucked, but why she didn't like it as much as the last one. Because I understand her reasons for her opinions, it helps me decide if I'll feel the same way or not (not that it matters since I've already bought it and will watch it anyway). Based on her review, I think I won't have a problem with it since I've read the book recently. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 03-08-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I have to agree. One of my favorite reviewers (on another site) typically disagrees with my personal tastes. But I've read enough of his reviews to put his opinions into a context that makes sense to me. I keep reading because I happen to think he writes good reviews. Not because he likes the same things I do.
Thank you for saying that. You are seemingly one of the few people who actually "gets" how movie reviews are supposed to work. Whether you agree or disagree with the critic about a specific movie is much less important than that the critic makes a clear enough case for his/her opinions that you can judge whether those criteria are important to you or not.

I am so tired of hearing people say, "That critic sucks. He gave Movie ABC four stars but that was totally garbage. Then he hated Movie ABC and that one was totally awesome. He doesn't know what he's talking about."
Old 03-08-06, 09:50 PM

i really enjoyed this movie. didn't see 2 or 3 and it wasn't hard at all to get into. it really doesn't rely on the fact that the viewer knows all about the quadrilogy thus far and that is something i can buy into. i knew just what i needed to from the first.

nice, simple story. i think Daniel as an actor is not great, but everything else (atmosphere, the older actors, the effects) overcomes that.

i do wonder what was cut out of the book? just out of curiosity if someone wants to put a brief synopsis in spoiler tags...
Old 03-09-06, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After re-watching the dvd I have the same problems...Its like they are giving us the Cliff's Notes version of the book. Obviously they have to cut things out, but I dont get the "rushed" aspect of the movie. And I also hold that the biggest problem with the movie isnt the cuts, but Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore. Totally out of character for a film series that really does a great job with casting and picking the right actors for the roles. With all its flaws though, I still did enjoy the movie and still glad I picked up the 2-disc. Now I just need to watch the extras. For Scott, some of the things left out are:
Spoiler:
First off, the Dursleys are completely cut out of the beginning, Crouch's son is in the book and disguised as Mad-Eye, but at the beginning he isnt with Voldemort and Wormtail in fact you are led to believe he has nothing to do with anything until the end. The Quiditch Worldcup is a much longer section to it, and there was another wizard whose name totally escapes me now who has as much as a presense if not more than Barty Crouch. Percy Weasly plays a big part in the book as does Mrs. Weasley and they are both left out. It wasnt Crouch's son who did the Darkmark, they left out the house elves and Hemione's cause to free them (one cut that Im glad they made), Rita Skeeter has a much bigger role. And the end battle is more drawn out and has a much more Epic feel to it.
I know Im leaving out more, but the biggest thing is just the fact that there is so much going on in the book that its impossible to get everything in so the really condense it down. Perhaps others can give a bit more.
Old 03-09-06, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
After re-watching the dvd I have the same problems...Its like they are giving us the Cliff's Notes version of the book. Obviously they have to cut things out, but I dont get the "rushed" aspect of the movie. And I also hold that the biggest problem with the movie isnt the cuts, but Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore. Totally out of character for a film series that really does a great job with casting and picking the right actors for the roles. With all its flaws though, I still did enjoy the movie and still glad I picked up the 2-disc. Now I just need to watch the extras. For Scott, some of the things left out are:
Spoiler:
First off, the Dursleys are completely cut out of the beginning, Crouch's son is in the book and disguised as Mad-Eye, but at the beginning he isnt with Voldemort and Wormtail in fact you are led to believe he has nothing to do with anything until the end. The Quiditch Worldcup is a much longer section to it, and there was another wizard whose name totally escapes me now who has as much as a presense if not more than Barty Crouch. Percy Weasly plays a big part in the book as does Mrs. Weasley and they are both left out. It wasnt Crouch's son who did the Darkmark, they left out the house elves and Hemione's cause to free them (one cut that Im glad they made), Rita Skeeter has a much bigger role. And the end battle is more drawn out and has a much more Epic feel to it.
I know Im leaving out more, but the biggest thing is just the fact that there is so much going on in the book that its impossible to get everything in so the really condense it down. Perhaps others can give a bit more.
thanks for the left outs fvd.
i did wish the movie had a more epic feel when it ended. i was a little let down by that.

also, how come they didn't deal with Draco Malfoy's dad (Jason Issacs) being a deatheater? i would think that would have some major consequences on Draco at Hogwart's, no?
Old 03-09-06, 12:12 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by scott1598
also, how come they didn't deal with Draco Malfoy's dad (Jason Issacs) being a deatheater? i would think that would have some major consequences on Draco at Hogwart's, no?
Comes up in the next movie/book.

Spoiler:
Essentially the Ministry of Magic paints Dumbledore and Harry as liars that are making up the whole Voldemort is back story. Combination of denial and the minster being convinced that Dumbledore want's this job, and Harry getting on Rita Skeeter's bad side.

So no one believe's him, that didn't arleady know the Malfoy's where deatheaters.
Old 03-09-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The book is 10 thousand pages long. Children had to cart it around in wheelbarrows when they brought it with them to school. Not everything can or should be in the movie version.
Old 03-09-06, 01:59 PM
Cool New Member

i perfectly agree that not everything can come in the movie version thats there in the book but still whatever should be there, should make sense. the scene of harry's parents appearing was really bad directed. it could have been much better.
Old 03-09-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
Future installments, although this is one of my only problems with the books...
Old 03-09-06, 11:38 PM

Location: Turn right by the whatchamacallit and follow the doohickey north
I'll try to expand as much as I can on what was left out or changed from the book:
Spoiler:
It shows the Weasleys coming to the Dursleys thru their chimney, which was boarded up and makes a huge mess. The twins strategically drop a joke candy for Dudley that makes his tongue gigantic. The world cup was changed significantly. The Weasleys were seated in the ministers box and there is some banter about how they got in by the Malfoys and vice versa. Winky, Crouch's house elf is there holding a seat for him. We don't know until later that Barty Jr. is in the empty seat under a invisiblity cloak. Winky steals Harrys wand at that point and we don't know that til later also. Harry's wand was used by Barty Jr. to conjure the Dark Mark. Crouch thought Harry used it until they found Winky and then he released Winky from service which sent her into emotional upheaval. Winky was secretly taking orders from Barty Jr. and could not tell anyone because she was bound to the family. Barty Jr. has Crouch Sr. under the Imperius curse and controlled him, he only killed him because he was beginning to resist and tried to warn Dumbledore. After Barty Jr. was put in Azkaban, his mother was dying and her dying wish was to get him out. She had 2 polyjuice potions and switched places with Barty Jr. Barty Jr.'s mother died in prison looking like Barty Jr., so everyone thought he was dead. Barty Sr. took his son out disguised as his wife and then kept him locked up in his house until his son put the Imperius curse on him. There was a whole thing with Hermoine and her cause to fight for elves rights called S.P.E.W., which nobody really supported and the elves themselves don't want to be freed. Dobby is the only exception. Dobby, not Neville, gave Harry the gillyweed which he stole from Snape's storage. Barty Jr. as Mad-Eye made sure Dobby overheard him telling another professor about gillyweed, knowing Dobby would get it for Harry. The dragon task was a lot easier in the book. The dragon did not break free of it's chains, everything took place in the arena. The twins told Harry, Ron, and Hermoine how to get into the kitchen area where all the house elves are. The twins basically went there for food whenever they wanted it. Rita Skeeter is much more vile in the book, she is a tabloid type reporter and skews everything to how she wants it. She gets the scoop on things and nobody knows how because Dumbledore would not let her roam the ground freely. Hagrid told Madame Maxine he was half-giant and said he knew at once she was too. Madam Maxine was offended and said she wasn't(but she was). Rita reported that he was half-giant and that caused a stir. Hermoine catches on to her that she was an unregistered animagus spider, and puts her in a container at the end. She blackmails her to keep her mouth shut and this comes in handy in the next book too.
I hope this helps more than confuses, heh.

On the Malfoys dad thing, don't read the following if you don't want to know some things that happen in books 5 and 6.
Spoiler:
Harry didn't find out Lucius was a death eater for sure until the end of this book. There was no concrete proof, but he did tell Dumbledore about him and the others named. In the Order of the Phoenix, there is a big fight at the end and Lucius gets caught and sent to Azkaban along with some others. Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, and Nott get pissed because their dads were named as death eaters. In Half-Blood prince the new teacher Slughorn(funny enough he is a Slytherin) ignores Draco because he does not want to associate with the family of known death eaters. It doesn't have much impact on the children of the death eaters other than they are mad at Harry and everyone knows but say nothing. The other teachers don't treat them any different.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.