DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   The Weather Man .....is it a good blind buy? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/456631-weather-man-good-blind-buy.html)

tacos 02-21-06 11:24 AM

The Weather Man .....is it a good blind buy?

I plan on watching something tonight with the old gal friend. Anyways, what you guys think?

Cinemaddiction 02-21-06 11:30 AM

I'd definately rent it first, unless you're looking for something in the "Mid Life Crisis/Woe Is Me" genre.

tacos 02-21-06 10:45 PM

Well, I went ahead and bought it. I simply hate renting dvds. Anyways, I'm glad I did. It's a very good film.

dvd_luver 02-21-06 10:59 PM

I finally went ahead and purchased this as a blind buy myself. I didn't like the cover art, and I got over it and bought the dvd, I am very pleased with the film, it's a very good film. This was criminally overlooked at the movie theaters and in general. I have always liked anything Nicolas Cage stars in, even liked and own Gone in 60 Seconds.

I am glad I dropped the $17 bucks down on this baby.

gryffinmaster 02-24-06 08:42 AM

I'll wait for this to go on sale in a few months down around the $10 range to blind buy. Probably won't take long for this single-disc version to reach that - I as well enjoy Nick Cage.

At any rate, I've heard this film is a major downer ... any thoughts?

David Cornelius 02-24-06 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
At any rate, I've heard this film is a major downer ... any thoughts?

Depends, really. It is, overall, a comedy, but an extremely dark one. It's basically the story of a guy who can't do anything right, and who gets respect from nobody. Which can be very funny if done properly, which I think it was. (And there are actually a few positive moments in the film that, while not "uplifiting" in the cliched sense, are very good at granting the story a little bit of heart.)

So no, it's not soul-crushing or evening-ruining, but some may be put off by the comically negative tone of it all.

But wow, what a terrific little movie.

QuikSilver 02-24-06 11:03 PM

I was on the fense about spending the time to watch this film but I ended up borrowing it from a co-worker and thought it was an okay film. I would definitely rent it first than doing a blind buy.

gryffinmaster 02-25-06 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by David Cornelius
Depends, really. It is, overall, a comedy, but an extremely dark one. It's basically the story of a guy who can't do anything right, and who gets respect from nobody. Which can be very funny if done properly, which I think it was. (And there are actually a few positive moments in the film that, while not "uplifiting" in the cliched sense, are very good at granting the story a little bit of heart.)

So no, it's not soul-crushing or evening-ruining, but some may be put off by the comically negative tone of it all.

But wow, what a terrific little movie.

I knew from the previews that it looked like a good flick to check out. Cage looks like he sinks into his role as always. It looks to be beautifully shot, as well. We know that Verbinski has a way with cinematography, even if he isn't hailed for it.

Plus, it's Cage as a Weather Man who, at one point, walks in the city with a bow and arrow. Sounds classic. ;):thumbsup: