DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   WW2 Recomendations needed (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/454777-ww2-recomendations-needed.html)

Celtic Bob 02-05-06 05:24 AM

WW2 Recomendations needed

I am looking for some good films and documentaries on WW2. I have Saving Pvt Ryan, Downfall, Das Boot and Schindler. What other great ones are out that deal mainly with the German/Nazi side? I am considering The Nazis: A Warning From History (BBC) and Your Unknown Brother.
tks
b.

'Ol Steve 02-05-06 06:34 AM

Some of my favorites...

James Cameron's Expedition: BISMARCK
(Absolutely wonderful documentary with great underwater scenes, music and archive video clips of the war and the ship)

The War at Sea
(Without doubt, the best Naval battle documentary ever created. Covers both Atlantic and Pacific.)

Band of Brothers
(Plenty of action for any die-hard WWII movie fan)

The Pianist
(On the order of Schindler's List. Vividly depicts hardships and survival under Nazi occupation.)

Do you have the classic wartime movies and series? Still some of the best are the older movies made during the war or shortly after. The Desert Rats, A Bridge too Far, The Longest Day, Combat (the series), etc. etc.

Bateman 02-05-06 02:19 PM

Two lesser known ones about the Eastern front.

Stalingrad
Come and See

David Cornelius 02-05-06 04:13 PM

Try the doc Blind Spot: Hitler's Secretary. Mostly talking head stuff, but a great look at how some people have convinced themselves that they themselves weren't part of anything evil.

Also check out Triumph of the Will and The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl.

For non-docs, consider The Mortal Storm, or maybe Max and Joe.

clark_nova 02-05-06 04:23 PM

Cross of Iron

TimeandTide 02-05-06 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Celtic Bob
I am looking for some good films and documentaries on WW2. I have Saving Pvt Ryan, Downfall, Das Boot and Schindler. What other great ones are out that deal mainly with the German/Nazi side? I am considering The Nazis: A Warning From History (BBC) and Your Unknown Brother.
tks
b.

I'll second Bateman's rec.: Stalingrad is a fantastic film about the siege from the German POV.

chanster 02-05-06 09:53 PM

Downfall
World at War is a great documentary and worth a purchase.
Longest Day
A Bridge Too Far
Battle of Britian

Premise 02-05-06 11:42 PM

Great Escape
Stalag 17

calhokie 02-05-06 11:50 PM

I'll second two previous suggestions:
Band of Brothers is great and will show off your home theater too
Stalingrad is excellent and I enjoyed seing something from the German POV

Talvisota touches on a generally unknown subject. DVD transfer quality isn't so hot, though.

Celtic Bob 02-06-06 02:53 AM

Great, thanks allot. Looks like allot of stuff to check out.
b.

Fok 02-06-06 03:45 PM

Hogans Hero's :p

MSD 02-07-06 03:34 PM

Soldier of Orange, one of the best.

uebetan12@yahoo 02-12-06 02:02 PM

Soldier Of Orange
Talvisota
Come And See
Band Of Brothers
Longest Day
Great Escape