DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Is Venom worth a blind buy?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/452699-venom-worth-blind-buy.html)

marcellusk 01-18-06 12:21 PM

Is Venom worth a blind buy??

Haven't seen the movie but reading the back of the box it sounds kinda interesting

nodeerforamonth 01-18-06 12:25 PM

This the live at Hammersmith show?

marcellusk 01-18-06 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
This the live at Hammersmith show?

-confused-

highdef 01-19-06 02:58 PM

I was also curious about this thriller from the creator of SCREAM and the director of I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER. After reading through several reviews, I'm puzzled as to why the film performed so poorly at the box-office? Has anyone actually seen it?

Cinemaddiction 01-19-06 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by highdef
I'm puzzled as to why the film performed so poorly at the box-office?

It was shown on less than 500 screens nationwide, and was only around for a month. Kevin Williamson is merely a producer in "Venom". As we all know, that could mean any number of things, but he and Jim Gillespie did do IKWYDLS.

marcellusk 01-19-06 03:58 PM

And the cheapest I've seen this movie for is $19.99. No way I'm spending that much on a blind buy. I may have to rent

dvdmovie1 01-19-06 06:34 PM

During its last week in theaters, the movie was on 5 screens and made $41. :)

It's a mediocre horror flick. Maybe worth a rental.

DonnachaOne 01-19-06 06:39 PM

No.

JaxComet 01-20-06 05:32 PM

I'd be happy with a blind rent......I haven't been able to locate it.......

joshtown 01-20-06 06:03 PM

This film sounds like the Ultimate late night rental. 80 minutes, Gore, Horror, Cheese, Swamps. Sounds like $4 well spent.

mongoco 01-21-06 01:26 AM

I'm puzzled as to why the film performed so poorly at the box-office?
maybe cuz of Hurricane Katrina?

MonsterMan 01-21-06 10:09 PM

VENOM is a fun little splatter flick that's very much in the same vein as the goofy slashers of the 1980's. There is not an ounce of originality to be found within its scant 85 minute running time. The characters are typical and easy on the eyes, yet they lack any sense of intelligence or sophistication. The story is sloppy and contradicting, constantly defying all rules of logic. Yet despise all of its shortcomings, VENOM ceases to reach high on the entertainment meter because it recognizes this. It knows it's dumb and unbelievable. There's no way around it. Things move along at a brisk pace, leaving no room for unneeded character explorations or lengthy dialogue scenes. Things get bloody quick and stay bloody for pretty much most of the film. Although the killer is obviously a mixture of Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, and The Creeper, he does manage to have a "bad-ass" type of presence and there's no denying that he gets the slaughter done effectively. Those wanting a intelligent, spine-tingling horror piece will obviously need to go elsewhere, as VENOM does none of this. If it's a quick and pulpy ride of backwoods chases and exaggerated death scenes that you seek, then this fun film definitely fits into the list.