Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Looking for good serial killer movies..

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know where I can find a list of all the serial killer movies ever made? I love looking for the little known ones that gets little publicity but are great movies. I just came across Hallmark movies on dvd (Gone But Not Forgotten and Arthur Hailey's Detective both GREAT!) and I need more whodunit movies! Thanks for any help! My favorites: Suspect Zero and Saw!
Old 01-12-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Well, putting in keywords "serial Killer" into imdb gives almost 1000 hits. That's a start. Check out the top movie on the list when you do that search -- now that's title that grabs your attention! Though "serial killer" and "whodunits" can be quite different things.
Old 01-12-06, 03:15 PM

Besides the usual suspects (Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, Hannibal, Se7en, etc), check out Malevolence and High Tension. For some great foreign stuff on the "whodunit" side, check out Tell Me Something and Argento's Deep Red. Enjoy!!
Old 01-12-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always been a fan of The Mean Season.

Here's the text from the back of the case:

"In the middle of its storm-riddled summer, Miami must face a new monster: a psychopath whose one objective is to gain fame through murder. Kurt Russell, Richard Jordan and Mariel Hemingway give performances as blistering as the Florida heat in this "never dull parable of American ambition" ('New York') that combines an "intriguing premise and provocative subject matter [into] a suspenseful thriller" ('Boxoffice') with "real chills" ('Newsweek')!

An article on the killing of a teenage girl has brought burnt-out 'Miami Herald' reporter Malcolm Anderson (Russell) a powerful new fan... the killer himself. Encouraged by the police to maintain this anonymous relationship, Malcolm receives exclusives on two more killings. But as Malcolm's own celebrity grows, the killer's jealousy prompts him to up the stakes
Spoiler:
- by abducting the reporter's fiancée (Hemingway) as his own testament to the price of fame!
"

Last edited by MEJHarrison; 01-12-06 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-12-06, 05:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 906 Likes on 766 Posts
welcome newbie. you really shouldn't post the same thread in multiple forums (DVD Talk)...they don't like that here.
Old 01-12-06, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scott1598
welcome newbie. you really shouldn't post the same thread in multiple forums (DVD Talk)...they don't like that here.
Thanks for the advice oldbie, but if it is such a no-no why post 2 replies? Might want to practice what you preach.....
Old 01-12-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Citizen X
Old 01-12-06, 09:08 PM

Crimson Rivers
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (I didn't care for it but it is well regarded)
Fritz Lang's M
Tenebre
Manhunter
Old 01-13-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (the classic of the genre?)
The Manson Family (documentary realism + italian horror film conventions + 60s "trip" movie = one freaky mindfuck)
Funny Games (are the killers of the serial variety? dunno for sure, but they're accomplished at the art)
Old 01-13-06, 04:02 PM

high tension
american pyscho
Old 01-13-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Check out Man Bites Dog, a dark comedy from Belgium about a pair of documentary filmmakers following around a serial killer. A very dark and twisted film with some incredibly morbid humor. The DVD is a Criterion release.

On the more serious side, the Korean film Memories of Murder is excellent, though I'll warn you that it's more about the cops trying to catch the serial killer than about the serial killer himself.

Last edited by Josh Z; 01-13-06 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-14-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post