DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   DVD Talk review of 'Battlestar Galactica - Season 2.0' (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/449905-dvd-talk-review-battlestar-galactica-season-2-0-a.html)

Councelor 12-25-05 10:39 PM

DVD Talk review of 'Battlestar Galactica - Season 2.0'

I read das Monkey's DVD review of Battlestar Galactica - Season 2.0 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19354 and the one thing it misses (and all other reviews I've seen of any of the new series) is the huge difference between old Battlestar Galactica and new, is that in the new we, the Human race, created the Cylons. In the old series it was an ancient reptalian race, called Cylons I believe, long since wiped out of existance by their creations, which since have taken their name, Cylons. I am not sure how this makes the difference, other than that we aren't to blame for these monstrocities. But it is an interesting thought.

das Monkey 12-25-05 11:01 PM

The Review You Linked

As for the Cylons being humanoid, this too adds something to the new series that was lacking before. The Cylons were created by Man and are therefore fascinated by us. Their creation of 12 humanoid models allows the series to ask numerous complex questions and investigate the nature of humanity itself. What separates man from machine? What defines our humanity? And why do we really deserve to survive?

:shrug:

mifuneral 12-25-05 11:02 PM

The review for the first season mentioned that there are differences and I think it even discussed a few of them. I don't think that information needs to be rehashed for the review of the second season since fans of the first season already know, and newcomers shouldn't be jumping into the middle of the story anyway.

Councelor 12-27-05 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by mifuneral
The review for the first season mentioned that there are differences and I think it even discussed a few of them. I don't think that information needs to be rehashed for the review of the second season since fans of the first season already know, and newcomers shouldn't be jumping into the middle of the story anyway.

I re-reviewed the first season review and it mentions nothing about this difference. I feel it is quite significant yet quite overlooked.

I keep wondering, what did the original authors think about making the cylons creations of an extinct reptilian race? Did they have any real theory about that? What were the authors of the new series thinking making the Cylons a human creation? Is this an allusion to what we did by electing Bush into office, .............. twice? Or did we? (hey, anything to get this thread spinning!)

:horsepoo: :saber:

Councelor

mifuneral 12-27-05 12:04 PM

I didn't say it mentioned that difference specifically, but that it notes several differences between this update and the original series. However, I don't think it's fair to the new series to constantly make comparisons. It's not a retelling, it's a re-imagining. Therefore, it has different events, it has characters of the same names with totally different roles, and it has a different history. There are some similarities but I think they are mainly there as homage.

Also, as das explained in his response here, he mentioned that the Cylon origins are different. And I think this issue may have been addressed in one of the extras on either the miniseries release or the S1 release(I can't remember which).

creekdipper 01-02-06 02:28 PM

Is anyone else here annoyed by the constant juvenile use of the term "frack" as a not-so-subtle substitution for a more familiar 2000's Earth(y) term? From the very first episode to the present, we have found this to be so distracting, unnecessary, and downright STUPID that it really makes it hard to watch. It seems that the LAZY writers think it is really cutesy to throw it in at every perceived opportunity...which insults us, since they obviously think the audience finds this incredibly amusing. Maybe if we were eight years old...but not as adults. They need to either go ahead and say it (might as well), rewrite every curse word in a similar fashion (to be consistent), or maybe even do the unthinkable...write intelligent dialogue (or create some completely original curse words to use, if they feel that all of the characters MUST curse in each episode). For frack's sake, get over it already!!!!

das Monkey 01-02-06 06:08 PM

I didn't talk about it in the review, because I like the show and didn't want to be negative about petty things, but I find it distracting and annoying too. I don't mind the concept -- countless shows do this, including the original -- but it just doesn't flow out of the actors' mouths in the new series. "Frell" works great. "Gorram" and "ruttin" work and make sense. "Dren", "dranick", "frelnik", "yotz", "fahrbot" (no, not "shazbot" ;)), "nurfer" (or "nerfherder") are all OK and creative enough. "Loomas" are fun. "Smeghead" is classic. "Frag" sometimes worked, sometimes not. But "frack" in the new series comes across forced and uninspired, especially "motherfracker". It's difficult to put a finger on <i>why</i> it doesn't work, but I do agree that its usage in this instance is a drawback.

das

milo bloom 01-02-06 07:46 PM

Does it really bother you guys that much? I think it's kinda goofy, but I find myself using "frak" in real-life all the time instead of the other f-bomb. I've never been a prude, but I'm trying to slowly retrain my sailor's mouth to something a little more civilized, and I think frak fits the bill rather well.

das Monkey 01-02-06 07:52 PM

No. That's why I didn't write about it. But if you're asking for an opinion on it, I think it's one of the weaker aspects of the show.

das

TimeandTide 01-08-06 05:16 PM

das, just curious as to why you spell XO Tigh's name "Tighe" throughout the review. Should be "Tigh."

Just finished watching the first half of the second season...and your review. I agree with almost everything, especially the increasingly irritating Baltar/Six dialogues.

At any rate, great season so far. BG managed to do what over-hyped Lost couldn't: make me care about the addition of new characters to the show. Just hoping they revisit the resistance left on Caprica.

das Monkey 01-08-06 07:05 PM

TimeandTide

das, just curious as to why you spell XO Tigh's name "Tighe" throughout the review. Should be "Tigh."

Because it should be spelled that way, and I'm going to make it happen by sheer force of will!

Seriously, I remember being curious how it was spelled and looking it up when writing the review. I had to look up "Tyrol" too, and at the time found that "Valerii" had two "i"s. Apparently, I looked it up in the wrong place. I have fixed the review. Thanks for pointing out the mistake.

das