DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   What's the best version of "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" to get? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/449443-whats-best-version-exorcism-emily-rose-get.html)

marcellusk 12-20-05 02:24 PM

What's the best version of "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" to get?

Wal-Mart has Exorcism of Emily rose 2pack with the Mothman Prophecies for $13.97(no slip sleeve) And best buy has Emily rose with 50 min A&E doc the real exorcist for $16.99.(with slip sleeve)
Which would you guys get?

dadaluholla 12-20-05 02:28 PM

Get Emily rose with 50 min A&E doc
:)
Mothman sucked.

Squirrel God 12-20-05 03:06 PM

Mothman is a fantastic film. Get the one with that.

BravesMG 12-20-05 03:09 PM

I haven't seen the Exorcist doc., but another vote for Mothman here. I thought it was excellent.

EdTheRipper 12-20-05 04:05 PM

Not a fan of the Mothman Prophecies so I say get the Best Buy edition.

asianxcore 12-20-05 05:21 PM

I enjoyed the Mothman Prophecies, so I'd say go with that :)

smackattack 12-20-05 09:36 PM

Mothman was a decent flick. If you like supernatural kinda movies and havent seen it, id definately go for that over some a&e thing. If you like excorcism, sixth sense type of movies, you will like it.

TimeandTide 12-20-05 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by marcellusk
Wal-Mart has Exorcism of Emily rose 2pack with the Mothman Prophecies for $13.97(no slip sleeve) And best buy has Emily rose with 50 min A&E doc the real exorcist for $16.99.(with slip sleeve)

2 features for $13.97? I'd go with that.

wm lopez 12-21-05 12:15 AM

I bought EMILY at Best Buy as a gift.
I asked 3 employees about the A&E doc. and they said it's in the case.
Can anybody confirm this,please?

marcellusk 12-21-05 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I bought EMILY at Best Buy as a gift.
I asked 3 employees about the A&E doc. and they said it's in the case.
Can anybody confirm this,please?

yes...it comes in a square paper case clipped with the inserts.

Willh51 12-21-05 10:26 PM

Get the one with Mothman, I really love that film.

kneijst1 12-22-05 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by smackattack
Mothman was a decent flick. If you like supernatural kinda movies and havent seen it, id definately go for that over some a&e thing. If you like excorcism, sixth sense type of movies, you will like it.

ditto. Mothman was pretty good. I don't think it was bad, but it wasn't great. I don't even like Richard Gere at all, but I found it an enjoyable flick.

Scott A. Aruti 12-22-05 12:35 PM

I'll have a full review of the uncut edition up as soon as I can; from what I understand, I should be receiving this as an early holiday gift (my pre-press copy from the studio was snubbed by another publication).

chipmac 12-22-05 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Scott A. Aruti
(my pre-press copy from the studio was snubbed by another publication).

Why was that? Was the pre-press release different in some way than the final release? If that was the case than good for them. I hate when reviews are done that aren't of the final release since compression amounts can change if extras are added for the final release thus changing the AV quality.

By the way are you ever going to change your sig to list the actual model number of your Mits TV?

Scott A. Aruti 12-22-05 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by chipmac
Why was that? Was the pre-press release different in some way than the final release? If that was the case than good for them. I hate when reviews are done that aren't of the final release since compression amounts can change if extras are added for the final release thus changing the AV quality.

No, it was not different from what the public is going to see; it's just that another editor had higher dibs on the pre-press copy and launch at the conference I attended which included folks from Universal, Fox, MGM and DreamWorks, and some from Paramount.

Artman 12-22-05 03:15 PM

Allright, so I watch the movie last night (which I liked), and the very first shot (a fade-in to white after you hear her scream) has one of the ugliest transfer glitches...I don't even know what to call it. A big digital blob in the middle of the screen for a second or so - someone else tell me they see it.

Inexcusable for a transfer these days!

nimrod85 12-22-05 07:15 PM

what`? here its runnin in cinema since some weeks :(

Giallofan 12-23-05 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by marcellusk

Can't quote on Mothman Prophecies because I never saw it, as I'm not a big Richard Gere fan at all. But I saw the A&E doc., and I wasn't very impressed with it at all. But for $13.97 for 2 flicks, I'd go for the Emily Rose/Mothman one anyway, if I had a choice of one or the other in this case.

John-In-VA 12-24-05 09:16 AM

I vote for the one with Mothman. It's got that feeling of dread atmosphere. Gere is the "star", but Laura Linney and Will Patton are quite good in it too.

covenant 12-31-05 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Scott A. Aruti

Banned?!?

surprised?

Johnny Boy 12-31-05 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by covenant
Banned?!?

surprised?

That is surprising actually. What did he do to get banned?

chipmac 12-31-05 01:08 PM

Not surprising actually after a few threads with him got locked when they got out of line. Some of us searched him on Google and found that he's been banned from most HT discussion forums. I see most of his old posts on here have been deleted otherwise I'd point you to them to see his argumentative ways. If I had to make a guess though, I bet it was for posting his DVD reviews after being asked not to make them look like official DVDTalk reviews.

Johnny Boy 12-31-05 01:13 PM

Wow. :lol:

Giallofan 12-31-05 02:00 PM

Not surprising actually after a few threads with him got locked when they got out of line. Some of us searched him on Google and found that he's been banned from most HT discussion forums. I see most of his old posts on here have been deleted otherwise I'd point you to them to see his argumentative ways. If I had to make a guess though, I bet it was for posting his DVD reviews after being asked not to make them look like official DVDTalk reviews.

There's 1 in every crowd I guess? -screwy- :p

BobDole42 12-31-05 05:45 PM

I can't say I'm surprised. Chip, you always showed much more restraint than I did in his threads in HT discussion :)

I have been ignoring him since the receiver thread got my blood boiling and didn't even know he was posting again. Oh, well.