Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Long Way Round'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Ian Jane's DVD review of Long Way Round at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=19038 and...
I just wanted to comment on the 7-episode version of the series vs. the 10-episode version. When it initially aired on Sky Television in the UK, there were only 7 episodes, and indeed the first UK DVD release of the show contains this original version. However, earlier this year, the episodes were re-edited with additional footage to create 9 episodes. Most notably, the preparation for the trip has been extended into two episodes, but every episode has been re-edited in some way. The whole series has been reshaped to tell the story over 9 episodes rather than 7, so the 'story arc' of each episode changes instead of simply being an 'extended' version of the equivalent episode in the 7-episode version. The series was also concluded with an entirely new 10th episode, which acts as a retrospective of the trip. There also, sadly, seems to be a number of additional extras on the 3-disc, 10-episode re-release of the DVD that are missing from this 2-disc version. They are all mainly fairly short featurettes, but combined together offer a few extra insights into the trip that were interesting.
Thanks for a very interesting review, and I hope it encourages more people to see this documentary. As pointed out in the text, I was worried that it would be quite a self-promoting affair, but the end result is very charming and honest, and gives you a real respect for the guys taking part in it all.
Old 12-03-05, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
I bought the original 7 eps UK DVD myself (I live in the US) and would re-buy the 3 DVD version as this is a great doc. on riding, friendship and just a plain old adventure. Highly recommend any verison as it's a great watch.
Old 12-14-05, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the US it appears only the 2 disc version is avaiable from Goldhill, but EMICanada has the extended 3 disk version from Virgin available online.