Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Fafner - Human Force'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 11-30-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Don Houston's DVD review of Fafner - Human Force at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18991 and...

I have to question the use of directly quoting two of the back covers of that series. For one thing, back covers aren't traditionally the best or most accurate summaries of any dvd. And for another...it isn't your writing? It's nice that you gave the back cover credit, but it would have been even nicer if you actually wrote your own summary. Quoting the dvd to that extent makes it seem as if you don't even care about this release to put forth the effort.
Old 11-30-05, 03:53 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mifuneral
I read Don Houston's DVD review of Fafner - Human Force at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18991 and...

I have to question the use of directly quoting two of the back covers of that series. For one thing, back covers aren't traditionally the best or most accurate summaries of any dvd. And for another...it isn't your writing? It's nice that you gave the back cover credit, but it would have been even nicer if you actually wrote your own summary. Quoting the dvd to that extent makes it seem as if you don't even care about this release to put forth the effort.
Mifuneral,
your points are well taken but if you read the review, you'll note that I provided the back cover bits only in conjunction with my own musings about the show. The cover didn't say a whole lot about the show and much of what I quoted was my own comments from the first volume of the series.

One of the problems with reviewing single discs for a series is that someone not having read the previous writeups will have no idea what's going on. Reviewing such discs is therefore much like writing up a bit on a chapter of a novel. Do I go ahead and reveal the secrets of the chapter, providing a thorough exposition of all that happens (like AOD does which ruins my enjoyment of any anime DVD I might consider buying). Reviewing a whole series is different in that regard but I've had it hammered into me by emails for years that including the cover blurps is not only appropriate but requested.

Otherwise, I did write my own summary (both the episode breakdown summary and the disc summary at the end of the review) but if you have any ideas as to a better balance in the future my email is always open to discuss such matters. Thanks for the input!