Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Oprah DVD set review?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 10:35 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Oprah DVD set review?

Are there any reviews of the Oprah 20 years anniversary boxset coming out next week?
Old 11-14-05, 01:59 PM

The set is coming out tomorrow but I still haven't seen one review. Has anyone seen one?
Old 11-14-05, 10:49 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Maybe you'll find one in the Review Forum.
Old 11-15-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Its on my list for DVD Talk reviews, but haven't gotten a shipping e-mail from the site yet...I usually get DVDs about 4 or 5 days after they are shipped, and should have a review up a few days afterwards (it's a HUGE set!). So I'm expecting to have the review up in about a week (soonest) or two (latest), depending on when the DVDs arrive!

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 11-15-05 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-15-05, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to know how much Madonna stuff is on there.
Old 11-17-05, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I'd like to know how much Madonna stuff is on there.
NYC, too funny, i just posted a joke about picking up this set in the Music area, then came here to see if anyone had reviewed it.

anyways, i just picked up the set yesterday. $40 BestBuy ($20 off their normal price).

the madonna segment is MAYBE 5 minutes.
there is about 2 minutes from '96, 2 minutes from '98, and the 2003 appearance cut to just briefly discussing "the kiss"... all are interviews, no performances. the times may even be shorter, i cant recall.

however, and at the risk of sounding really gay, the set is honestly one of the most emotional things i've ever watched, and i've only watched all of disc 1 and parts of disc 2 (there are 6 discs). there is an hour segment titled "heart prints" that had me literally bawling. jesus this woman is STRONG. u can talk smack or whatever but WOW. and i DO NOT watch the oprah show. ive seen maybe 10 episodes in my life.

i have to say the "real people" segments are MUCH more entertaining than ANY of the celeb moments.

but this set gets my recomendation for sure. I cant wait to watch the rest. This is going to make a great christmas gift for my mom AND grandma AND aunt...
Old 11-21-05, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Its on my list for DVD Talk reviews, but haven't gotten a shipping e-mail from the site yet...I usually get DVDs about 4 or 5 days after they are shipped, and should have a review up a few days afterwards (it's a HUGE set!). So I'm expecting to have the review up in about a week (soonest) or two (latest), depending on when the DVDs arrive!
Thanks for the review Shannon. I can't wait to get my set from DDD!
Old 11-21-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
however, and at the risk of sounding really gay, the set is honestly one of the most emotional things i've ever watched, and i've only watched all of disc 1 and parts of disc 2 (there are 6 discs). there is an hour segment titled "heart prints" that had me literally bawling. jesus this woman is STRONG. u can talk smack or whatever but WOW. and i DO NOT watch the oprah show. ive seen maybe 10 episodes in my life.
I have to agree with you...as I said in the outset of my review, I've never been a big Oprah fan, but when you look at this set and the body of work she's been part of for the last 20 years, you gain a HUGE amount of respect for her.
Old 11-22-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've never understood the Oprah cult either. I mean, how could an unmarried, childless multi - billionaire relate to everyday women? She's a bone fide cult leader, but like her or not, and I don't, she's an amazing story. This is on my X-mas list for several women as well.
Old 11-24-05, 08:55 AM
Banned

My wife picked this up a Costco for approx. $34.00, and I have to admit first off that I NEVER gave 2 squats about Oprah and her empire!!! After RELUCTANTLY sitting down with my spouse, after some negotiation, (as she tends to not like to watch what I want to and vice versa!), I sat down and have watched the first 2 discs in this set with her. I really Gotta admit that I havn't laughed ,or been literally brought to tears by some of the stories/stuff I 've viewed on this disc so far!!! I gotta suck it up and say my wife was right when it came to respect for this very human woman who is constantly in the spotlight, and now I can certainly see why. Don't think one could be disaappointed with this set if you have an interest in the human condition as well as entertainment.
smurr