Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Sakura Diaries OVA Collection 1- Secrets & Lies'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I read Don Houston's DVD review of Sakura Diaries OVA Collection 1- Secrets & Lies at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=18350 and...

Is this the third release of this series? First there were the 4-separate disks version, which was edited [both dialog and visuals] from the original 'late night version'; then there was the 'Collector's Edition' which had all the episodes, unedited and with altered/improved subtitles in a single two-disk set. This sounds like it's that same set, with one or two minor 'bonus' features, broken up into 2 separate single-disk releases.
If that's the case, it might be slightly more affordable [and convenient] to find the CE.
I had the four-disk set, then traded/sold them and upgraded to the CE [my out of pocket cost was only something like 3 bucks, so it wasn't a bad deal.]

Apart from some minor discomfort caused from the subject matter [and most of that is probably due to the cultural divide between US and Japan], I enjoyed this series. It was somewhat 'wistful', and I kept thinking, "Just tell her/him!" but they never do. The main characters, for the most part, are pretty well fleshed out; although the original dub made Urara sound like a dingy, bratty, little girl, while the subtitles had her more mature but still confused. I didn't listen to the dub on the CE, so I have no opinion on it.
Old 10-25-05, 12:29 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new dub is greatly improved.

There have been several versions of the show though, the two most notable being the original DVD and this special edition. The tape version and version you'll find on ebay from shady sellers are probably the worst of the lot though. The late night version seems to be where the material for this latest release came from but no one credible seems to be able to confirm this (and stopping by ADV Films, located in Houston, seems somewhat extreme).