DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review for "The Coast Guard"

Old 09-06-05, 11:44 AM

DVD Talk review for "The Coast Guard"

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I found Ian Jane's review for "The Coast Guard" to be amusing, I know it's uncouth to start a thread as a "thread crap", but here's a film that a number of Kim Ki-Duk fans have pretty much trashed (and I agree). Three and half stars is pretty generous given the animosity toward this film. I'd even fail to muster giving this film one star.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=17482

I personally loathed this film when I saw at the Washington DC 2004 DC Korean Film Festival, it borders and succumbs to such exteme tedium. The acting is attrocious and inconsistent and really mars what could have been an interesting film. Instead, the title character is so much flawed and unsympathetic one painfully endures a film that only satisfies when it actually ends. .

Top Ten worst films I saw in 2004:

10. Shall We Dance (US remake)
9. The Forgotten
8. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
7. Resident Evil: Apocalypse
6. Twentynine Palms (2003)
5. Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
4. Green Fish (Chorok mulkogi) (1997)
3. Against the Ropes
2. The Coast Guard (Hae anseon) (2002)
1. Hollywood Lights

Last edited by Giles; 09-06-05 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-06-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree. This is by far the worst Kim Ki-duk film I've seen so far. The main problem is that the actor in the lead role is absolutely atrocious. The film woudn't be half as bad with better casting.
Old 09-06-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am going to have to agree with Giles as well...and disagree with eXecntris: the story was absolutely boring and I am not quite so sure a better cast would have helped. With this said...his 3-Iron is absolutely stunning. I am not certain why the film did not resonate well with this forum but it is easily one of the 10 best films I saw last year.

Ciao,
Pro-B