DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   any reviews yet on the se of Audition of the R1 of Oldboy? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/434843-any-reviews-yet-se-audition-r1-oldboy.html)

Rypro 525 08-19-05 11:02 PM

any reviews yet on the se of Audition of the R1 of Oldboy?

these are the big forgien language releases this week, and i haven't found anything on these titles yet.

pro-bassoonist 08-20-05 02:39 AM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=17240

Ciao,
Pro-B

eXcentris 08-20-05 11:12 PM

What's the difference between the old R1 Unrated Director's Cut and this new Audition uncut SE?

Ralph Jenkins 08-21-05 09:37 AM

Anamorphic enhancement is one difference, I believe.

Rypro 525 08-21-05 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris
What's the difference between the old R1 Unrated Director's Cut and this new Audition uncut SE?

anamorphic and a crap load of extras.

eXcentris 08-21-05 05:39 PM

Thanks, since I have the Universe R3 which is uncut but not anamorphic, I think I'll get this.

Richard Malloy 08-23-05 11:39 AM

Still no reviews of the new R1 "Audition"? I've got the R2 Tartan release, which has a very nice anamorphic transfer and DTS track, but I'd upgrade if the new R1 is better. Nobody knows?

RichDB10 08-23-05 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Still no reviews of the new R1 "Audition"? I've got the R2 Tartan release, which has a very nice anamorphic transfer and DTS track, but I'd upgrade if the new R1 is better. Nobody knows?

Been eagerly awaiting a review myself.

I own the German R2 Rapid Eye release which i was hoping to 'retire' with the anamorphic R1 + better extras release although i've heard RUMOUR on various forums i've visited that Lions Gate have really dropped the ball in using a PAL>NTSC transfer although don't know how true that is.

Rypro 525 08-23-05 10:18 PM

a tiny audition review. The anamorphic transfer has good colors, it does seem like its pal sourced (i think "tale of two sisters was also). the sound is somewhat muffuled, or at least the first couple of minutes are. I just litterally went down stairs, put the movie on for 5 min to get an idea of how the movie looks and sounds and came up here to type this out.
If the Bravo segment takes film footage from the old dvd, the new dvd improves on the image quality.

Richard Malloy 09-08-05 12:40 PM

DVD TALK review of "AUDITION": An excellent review that answered all my questions, and confirmed Lion's Gate's continued status as cellar-dweller among DVD studios. Yes, down there in the depths with New Yorker.

So, after all that time, LGF re-releases an, ahem, "brand-new" transfer, and it turns out to be a sucky, non-progressive, botched PAL>NTSC piece-of-shite. I'll be sticking with my Tartan Asia Extreme version, and I suspect the owners of the German disc will do likewise.

Thanks for the review. And (another) big "screw-you!" to Lion's Gate.

bis22 09-08-05 12:51 PM

But would this be a good edition to get for someone who doesn't have the movie yet (like me)?

RichDB10 09-08-05 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
DVD TALK review of "AUDITION":
and I suspect the owners of the German disc will do likewise.

Yep, certainly don't have any intention of effectively downgrading to the newly released R1.

But would this be a good edition to get for someone who doesn't have the movie yet (like me)?
Without venturing into the world of 'import' dvd's i don't see you have a great deal of choice given that the original non-anamorphic Ventura R1 release is effectively OOP.

Richard Malloy 09-08-05 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by bis22

I'd probably wait for a definitive "DVD Beaver" like comparison, but if you had to buy right now, I'd recommend the R2/PAL Tartan edition with the DTS track (the German disc is supposed to be just as good, but I believe it's OOP).

And remember: the smaller your monitor, the less the fuzziness/ghosting of a poor PAL>NTSC transfer and the less the jerkier frame motion of a non-progressive transfer will bother you. On a larger screen, however, these defects can become very bothersome.

eXcentris 09-08-05 06:14 PM

After reading that review, good thing I didn't pull the trigger on that one. I might spring for the Tartan R2 but I wonder how the French edition is...

cajun_junky 09-09-05 10:51 AM

Well I couldn't wait for review on the new R1 release and preordered it from CH. Considering my final price was less than $7 I saw no reason to hesitate. I only have a 4:3 55" RPTV and no other version to compare this new version to but it seems to me the picture could have been better. Don't get me wrong, on my aging setup the video was still enjoyable but with a great movie like this you can overlook alot. On the other hand, the sound was fine.

Johnny Zhivago 09-09-05 11:59 AM

Yeah... The Audition transfer leaves a lot to be desired... But, I'm not region free and it is anamorphic, I'll take it for now and be grumpy.

EricBill 09-09-05 04:46 PM

I have the original unrated Chimera/American Cinematheque dvd. It's been a little while since I last watched it, but I recall noticing that the colors were rather faded/dull among some other image problems on that release. I recently bought the new release, and will do an A-B comparison when I get the chance.

ehonauer 09-14-05 10:24 AM

A damn shame. I was ready to pick up the Lion's Gate disc to put next to my Tartan Asia Extreme version, but I can't support that kind of PAL->NTSC nonsense. Will this film ever get a proper US release?

Bleddyn Williams 09-14-05 11:42 AM

I found the Tartan for $17 shipped from MovieMail in the UK. I decided to pick it up and gave my workmate the new Lion's Gate for his birthday!