Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Place Promised in Our Early Days'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-05, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Don Houston's DVD review of The Place Promised in Our Early Days at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16908 and... when you wrote: "One of the biggest misconceptions people have about anime is that it is all alike. When fans talk of anime, non-believers seem to automatically think of the usual Saturday morning cartoon style shows, regardless of the fact that anime is only a way to tell a story (whatever story) without the use of live action."..... it occurred to me that you must think anime is a religion! Because in my dictionary, non-believers mean ... One who does not believe or have faith, as in God or a philosophy. Unless, of course, you believe anime is a philosophy....which would be even more bizarre, to me. I guess you can just chalk me up as a heretic, but I can't ever see myself tithing to a cartoon. I do appreciate your apparent worship for the craft though and it never ceases to amaze me just how "into" it you seem to be based on the large amount of reviews you've done. Why you're almost the pope....or something...

I do see what you mean about animation production as just another way to tell a story and, as such, it probably suffers from the same lack of plots as the rest of "live action" entertainment world. I do applaud the anime folks for their constant use of young children, particularily females, in the roles of the heroes. If they do that "over here", it seems like Disney has to be involved and the whole project ends up being a cliche.
Old 07-25-05, 06:21 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

While their are certainly fantics for anime, my intent was to mention how a lot of people won't, under any circumstances, watch anime because they think of it as silly, childish cartoons. In some parts of the world, anime is respected more, and viewed as yet another way to tell a story (a view I share). That said, I feel the term "non-believer" to be an appropriate term due to the way said people are so dismissive of the format (I've shown many people the light, typically watching some of the better movies with them, but teaching old dogs new tricks has its limits).

In general, open minded people will be able to find some anime release worthy of their time, and the purpose of reviews is to help guide people to such titles. Heck, I know some rednecks that'd rather watch some lame reality cop shows than award winning Miyazaki flicks (but that's simply a matter of taste, or lack thereof...).
Old 07-25-05, 11:28 PM

Well to satisfy my own curiosity, I googled "non believers and anime' and came up with....

"Princess Mononoke

When Princess Mononoke was first announced to be hitting North American theaters, fans everywhere were heralding a new age for anime (well, those that weren't decrying Disney as being the greatest evil in the world, but that's something else entirely). Princess Mononoke was supposed to usher in a new age when anime would finally go mainstream; when fans everywhere could show the non-believers that anime was more than just Sailor Moon or Pokemon. Anime was finally supposed to gain mainstream acceptance. "

That was written by someone called The Anime Critic.

Well, alas, I see the error of my ways. You aren't the only one. There must be a coven or something....
Old 07-25-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stan Lee's infamous utterance of "true believers" has nothing to do with religion or philosophy. I don't think Don Houston was out of line in his terminology, you just need to think less literally.
Old 07-26-05, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by mifuneral
Stan Lee's infamous utterance of "true believers" has nothing to do with religion or philosophy. I don't think Don Houston was out of line in his terminology, you just need to think less literally.

I'll add your suggestion for my re-vamped thinking to my ever growing list.

Thanks.......