Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Cleopatra 2525:Complete Series'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Don Houston's DVD review of Cleopatra 2525:Complete Series at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16748 and...

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth - this show was a heck of a lot of mindless bouncy-flesh fun that actually grew into a decent sci-fi story by the time it ended. It also was probably Gina Torres's first "big" role. When this show was cancelled, it was clear that she was destined for bigger and better things.

Streeting for ~$38 is excessive though. I think I will personally wait until I pick it up for around $20, despite it being near the top of my list for tv-on-dvd this year.
Old 07-17-05, 12:31 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Thanks for reading the review. The show wasn't made for everyone but watching the gals in action was always nice and towards the end, even the science fiction elements started becoming better and better. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted and the DVD set was very interesting to me.
Old 07-28-05, 07:36 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a footnote... the DVD package does indicate music replacement. However I've only seen each episode once and would have no idea what they took out.
Old 07-28-05, 08:27 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Just a footnote... the DVD package does indicate music replacement. However I've only seen each episode once and would have no idea what they took out.
Actually, the package only raises the possibility of music replacement; it doesn't say the music is different (kind of like a generic disclaimer). "Music may differ from televised version" is the actual phrase used.

I couldn't find any reliable sources for the music being different and part of the cheesy appeal of the show was the often generic nature of the music (which sounds the same as when it aired, including the identical knockoff title tune with changed lyrics and all). If you hear anything, let me know so I can add the comments to the review.
Old 07-28-05, 09:04 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're doing that now when they definitely replace something. I know the phrasing is iffy, but they're definitely just using it on sets where something is changed. Sliders Season 3 and Earth 2 came out on the same day with no such disclaimers on their cases.

Unless of course there was no music on those other sets that could have been replaced. In which case I'm talking out of my ass and I apologize.

Last edited by lotsofdvds; 07-28-05 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-28-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, at least they were kind enough to let you know of the possibility. Unlike Universal Studios releasing Quantum Leap season sets and blatanly misleading buyers that special features would be included (there were none) and omitting the fact that music was replaced!
Old 07-31-05, 05:47 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
They're doing that now when they definitely replace something. I know the phrasing is iffy, but they're definitely just using it on sets where something is changed. Sliders Season 3 and Earth 2 came out on the same day with no such disclaimers on their cases.

Unless of course there was no music on those other sets that could have been replaced. In which case I'm talking out of my ass and I apologize.
Earth 2 had a score but no music. Having watched a great many of the Cleopatra 2525 episodes when they aired (and all of them on the DVDs), I didn't notice any of the minor music replaced (Cleopatra sings a song or two which were the same, the title music is definitely the same, and there was little else to change). I haven't seen Sliders season 3 on DVD so I can't speak to that one though.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16755 (Earth 2)

I don't like the phrase on the package but unless I notice a difference, one is discovered or is admitted to by the company, I don't think it's fair to imply or state as a fact that music was changed without something more substantial in terms of evidence.