DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

i need help, which is the best law/court movie dvd?

Old 07-10-05, 11:01 PM

i need help, which is the best law/court movie dvd?

Hello, I plan giving a dvd to my friend who is first year law student. I donít know what kind of law she is studying, but I do know that she just completed her undergraduate studies in pre-law and is currently reading a law book on property.

On side note:
she love the OC and Desperate Housewives,Sex and the City,and CSI

Any suggestions on what kind movie I should buy as a gift?

Thanks
Old 07-10-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Paper Chase is the classic film about starting law school.

The Verdict is a courtroom classic.

Both are available cheaply on DVD from Fox.

DJ
Old 07-10-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And Justice For All and From The Hip.
Old 07-11-05, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scarredgod
And Justice For All and From The Hip.
Be careful with AJFA as the version with the widescreen side is OOP.

How about The Firm?
Old 07-11-05, 10:58 AM

If you want a TV show: Season 1 of Murder One

Another movie: The Rainmaker
Old 07-11-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think djtoell's got it right: The Paper Chase is perfect for someone starting out in law school, though I understand few curricula include the "Socratic method" of teaching any longer, and The Verdict is a great film that goes far beyond the usually cliche'd "courthouse dramas". Another one I'd recommend is A Civil Action, a very good film about the practice of law (environmental tort law in this instance), and about the worst thing I could say about it is that it's nowhere near as good as the book.

There are some other great films that fall within the "courthouse drama" rubric, and that are interesting on their own if not quite as evocative of the real study/practice of law as those mentioned above. I'd include To Kill a Mockingbird and Inherit the Wind among these, absolute must-sees in terms of human drama.
Old 07-12-05, 12:12 PM

12 Angry Men is a fantastic film about the duty of a jury. Not sure if that exactly fits the bill, it takes place all in the jury deliberation room, you don't actually see any of the court case. Despite that, it is a great film.
Old 07-12-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let me be the first to suggest Legally Blonde. My girlfriend bought it for me right before I entered law school and it was a great (but lighthearted choice).

DO NOT buy the Paper Chase. Good movie, but for law school nowadays, completely unrealistic and it will scare the crap out of her (the people in the movie are wayyy too intense).
Old 07-12-05, 12:26 PM
Suspended

Give her Murder One: The Complete First Season.
Old 07-12-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I think djtoell's got it right: The Paper Chase is perfect for someone starting out in law school, though I understand few curricula include the "Socratic method" of teaching any longer

You must have never been in law school.

The Paper Chase might scare the poor girl to death.
Old 07-12-05, 01:17 PM
Banned

There was one where Pauly Shore was a jury member.
Old 07-12-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, My Cousin Vinny would be a lot of feel-good fun and a nice break from many of the oh-so-serious (but excellent) recommendations so far.
Old 07-12-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

12 Angry Men and A Few Good Men are two of my favorites.
Old 07-12-05, 02:35 PM

Trial & Error with Michael Richards, Jeff Daniels & a smokin' Charlize Theron.

Not a great comedy but it had it's moments.
Old 07-12-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always thought Erin Brokovich,and The Insider had alot of good lawyer stuff.
Some others,,Judgement at Nuremburg,witness for the prosecution, Anatomy of a Murder,Inherit the Wind,Philadelphia,Amistad.
Old 07-12-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
You must have never been in law school.

The Paper Chase might scare the poor girl to death.
I graduated from law school in 1994, and had a contracts professor by the name of Wittenberg (Suffolk Univ, Boston) who still practiced the Socratic method of teaching. You definitely stayed on your toes in that class, but come time to study for the bar, I barely had to review contracts/UCC. That learnin' stuck, and to this day I consider him the best professor I ever had in any subject.

It's a shame they've done away with it for the most part, and I suspect due solely to "student sensitivities", but I don't envy the students today who aren't taught in this manner. I learned so much less and with more difficulty in the classes that were the more traditional "lecture and questions" variety. And, frankly, most of those professors likely weren't sharp enough to practice the Socratic method. It's just as intensive for the teacher.
Old 07-12-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I graduated from law school in 1994, and had a contracts professor by the name of Wittenberg (Suffolk Univ, Boston) who still practiced the Socratic method of teaching. You definitely stayed on your toes in that class, but come time to study for the bar, I barely had to review contracts/UCC. That learnin' stuck, and to this day I consider him the best professor I ever had in any subject.

It's a shame they've done away with it for the most part, and I suspect due solely to "student sensitivities", but I don't envy the students today who aren't taught in this manner. I learned so much less and with more difficulty in the classes that were the more traditional "lecture and questions" variety. And, frankly, most of those professors likely weren't sharp enough to practice the Socratic method. It's just as intensive for the teacher.

I graduated law school in '99 and the bulk of my classes utilized the Socratic Method, particularly my first-year classes (all but one).
Old 07-12-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And you survived, right?

Seriously, I think it's a shame that many of today's law students don't get this sort of education. Obviously, pedagogy of any kind is complex and a one-size-fits-all approach is never perfect. Nonetheless, the opportunity to have a teacher slowly and deliberately guide you through a thought process to your own conclusion simply by asking probing questions (which is what the Socratic method is all about) is very efficacious in a context where there may not be a single "correct" answer, but rather a complex array of possibilities produced by the vagaries of law intersecting with a particularly unique fact-set. Of course, it's difficult, but certainly no more so (and I'd argue a good bit less so) than many other graduate-level disciplines.
Old 07-12-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk God

In reference to the question, I think my favorite courtroom drama is Presumed Innocent. Raul Julia is awesome as defense attorney Sandy Stern. Gotta love it when he grills the medical examiner and exposes his blunder.
Old 07-12-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Night Court...one of the most accurate portrayals of such a court in entertainment history.
Old 07-12-05, 05:51 PM

primal fear or paper chase

Last edited by Paul7931; 10-23-08 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-12-05, 06:12 PM

I'm currently about to start my 3rd year in law school and I would say that about 85% of my classes are taught using the Socratic method. My contracts class was not too far from the one in the Paper Chase, though the professor was much nicer. Nevertheless, she was the kind of professor that you practically had to know what the third word was on the third paragraph of page 498. She would focus on a student like a laser beam until they answered everything she wanted.

The second year was a bit less socratic, but I suspect that had more to do with the greater emphasis on statutory law rather than case law.
Old 07-12-05, 06:24 PM
Retired

Perhaps a season of law and order.
Old 07-12-05, 06:46 PM
Cool New Member

Inherit the Wind is the best courtroom movie, and it is based on a true story.
Old 07-12-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't believe no one has mentioned Primal Fear.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.