Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Million Dollar Baby: Deluxe Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read Scott Lecter's DVD review of Million Dollar Baby: Deluxe Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16740 and...

My Best Buy ad lists says the 3-disc edition contains a "bonus" roundtable discussion with the actors/director. Am I correct to assume that this is the Lipton interview? I hope it is included with the 2-disc, as that was the one I preordered since I already have the soundtrack.

Maybe it's a Best Buy exclusive?

Either way I can't wait to get my hands on this as it's in my Top 5 all-time favorites.
Old 07-10-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
The Lipton interview is on the 2-disc edition. The ONLY difference between the 2 and 3 disc collection is the CD soundtrack (the CD is the "3rd disc").
Old 07-10-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this a good movie to watch with the whole family?

I have 2 kids - girl (13) and a boy (10).
Old 07-11-05, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

I don't think they would like it. I can't really say why without spoiling the movie, but I'll just say don't expect something like Rocky. There are some mature themes (nothing sexual though if that's what you're wondering about), and the deliberate pacing of the film could leave the kids bored. The 13-year-old might like it, but I think you should watch it yourself first-you know your kids better than we do.
Old 07-11-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The Lipton interview is on the 2-disc edition. The ONLY difference between the 2 and 3 disc collection is the CD soundtrack (the CD is the "3rd disc").
Great, thanks!
Old 07-11-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I agree with Drexl. I doubt the kids will be too interested in the drama aspect here. Maybe if they're hardcore boxing fans
Old 07-11-05, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I would've liked it at 13, actually. Of course, back then I watched THE GODFATHER about a hundred times a year.
Old 07-11-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

Is there a single disc version being released also? The Blockbuster B&M ad in Sunday's paper listed the DVD for 15.99 or 16.99 and it didn't look like the 2-disc version being pictured everywhere.
Old 07-11-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by yashan
Is there a single disc version being released also? The Blockbuster B&M ad in Sunday's paper listed the DVD for 15.99 or 16.99 and it didn't look like the 2-disc version being pictured everywhere.
The 2 disc version is in a regular case. There is no 1 disc version.
Old 07-11-05, 07:30 PM

I've not seen the movie yet......but everybody i talk to on the web and in person says its a GREAT movie...i'm going to rent it first and if its as good as i think it should be ...i'm buying it at CH!
Old 07-12-05, 09:27 PM

I have two kids, too, both girls, one 18 and the other 13. We saw the movie in a theater and I DO NOT recommend it for any one who recently lost a family member. My Dad had had a surgery that left him brain dead, and we had to pull the plug about 7 months before I saw this, and the movie just left me angry at the end. It is definitely not for kids, and my 18 and 13 year old girls will tell you the same. After all, my Dad was their grandfather.
Old 07-12-05, 10:34 PM
Retired

That a unique circumstance.

Hell, no one of any age that went through what you guys did recently should see this movie right after the tragedy.

So not really a kid thing. I'd say it's ok for kids 13 and up, barring tragic circumstances like that. And assuming the kids are at least at the average maturity level for their age (and maybe a little above for the 13-14 year olds).
Old 07-13-05, 01:52 AM

I would say in this day and age, it's not so unique. Do you know that Oregon's "die with dignity" law (aka assisted suicide) is already going before the Supreme Court next term (as in this October)? Let's see how that fares before you can say it's that unique (and, California is expected to pass a law just like that one before October).
Believe it or not, I found out after I fell into this "black hole" that this was related to one of the reasons Eastwood made this movie. He is a staunch supporter of such a right, and I support it too, but everyone that knew me said the movie was so great "you just had to see it!"
Talk about a train wreck waiting to happen, and similar things are happening all around the country as us Baby Boomers lose our parents, our spouses and sometimes even our children. And, Terry Schiavo's story didn't make enough news this year? or fire up enough emotion around the country?

The end of this story just plays right into this, and as such, I'd say it is definitely not for kids 10 or under and not good for kids 13-15. Whether any "child" has the emotional capacity to watch this and then "blow-it off", let's just say this is not "Rocky" by any means. I would not want to wacth this with my kids. It did not make for a great get-together.
Old 07-13-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Way to spoil the movie there, jmmesch.
Old 07-15-05, 12:50 PM

The movie was not that great i watch it last night Best picture it was not,a lot of the movie was bend there done that (the line that swank says:she like steel HELLO rocky4).
Stuff like that and really a simple story that hollywood has done over & over for years.
Mystic River, Unforgiven those are great movies this one was fair at best 3 stars.
PS: martin was robbed blind if he ever wins a oscar he should tell they to go hell...
Old 07-15-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ROBERTCOP34
The movie was not that great i watch it last night Best picture it was not,a lot of the movie was bend there done that (the line that swank says:she like steel HELLO rocky4).
Stuff like that and really a simple story that hollywood has done over & over for years.
Mystic River, Unforgiven those are great movies this one was fair at best 3 stars.
PS: martin was robbed blind if he ever wins a oscar he should tell they to go hell...
You're a Hollywood screenwriter, aren't you? Come on, fess up.
Old 07-15-05, 09:12 PM

No i'm not a screenwriter but that would fun to do..