Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Crow: Wicked Prayer'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'The Crow: Wicked Prayer'

Old 07-22-05, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a Buffy fan and an Angel fan, but that's not even close to the reason why I wanted to see this film. It was a Crow film, and I just wanted to see the continuation. I'm a DVD collector and I like to be as much of a completist as I can so I shelled out the money for this thing.

I think the review for this film was pretty harsh and yes, a little unprofessional as well. Right from the get go there was mention of rubbing your hands together with a grin on your face, waiting for the hilarity to ensue. That's not really keeping an open mind while watching a film now, is it? I agree completely that it was pretty rediculous, but I didn't give up on the film so easily.

I mean, come on. This movie had been sat on for three years by the company and it finally got a release direct to DVD only. What did you honestly expect? Your review actually shows us what you expected, as you went in with your mind already made up.

For a direct to DVD movie, the first hour of this film wasn't horrible. It had potential. Yes, the acting sucked. Yes it was low budget. But it wasn't horrible. Now, the last half hour though, now THAT sucked. Davids acting just went through the roof, completely over the top. The twists were lame and predictable. Ah well.

The movie I'd still probably only give like, a 3 out of 10 overall so hey, I'm not here dis-agreeing with your review as most of your points were pretty spot-on. But there's a tasteful way to write a negative review, and then there's your way.
Old 07-22-05, 08:15 AM

Dude. Give me a break. I think after writing over 1,500 reviews I kind of have a small idea what I'm doing. It took less than 10 minutes of this movie to tell me it was going to be a hilarious schlock-fest. If the movie had done an about-face and stopped being so biblically stupid, I'd have been happy to state just that.

It did not.

By the way, in addition to about 35 emails from readers telling me how much they enjoyed this review, I've also received positive comments from one of the Wicked Prayer screenwriters and one of the producers.

You think the movie deserved a more "sincere" review? Fine, go write one. Let's see how "professional" you are.

(But thanks for reading!)
Old 07-22-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
But there's a tasteful way to write a negative review, and then there's your way.
Yeah, but tasteful negative reviews aren't as fun to read.
Old 07-22-05, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Touche.
Old 07-22-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
That's not really keeping an open mind while watching a film now, is it?
Not every movie automatically deserves the benefit of the doubt. They have to earn it.
Old 07-22-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well that's true to I suppose. You all have very good points.

Again, admittedly the movie seemed to be an 'eye roller' from the beginning, so I see what you mean. I was really hoping the movie would pick up. About half an hour to 45 minutes into the film, I figured 'this is as good as it's going to get'. And I was right, the last half hour (even though eye rollers were everywhere in the first hour as well) really went above and beyond rediculous. I guess it's only fitting that a review reflects the hilarity that is 'Wicked Prayer'.
Old 07-22-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not easy for critics to be on the receiving end of the criticism, is it?
Old 07-22-05, 11:07 AM

How so, Nick?

He offered some critical comments and I responded with my own thoughts.

It's not like I trashed the guy or was pissy and disrespectful. I get lots of "hate" mail. I handle it just fine, thanks.
Old 07-22-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Nah, it's all good.

I still disagree with the direction on how the review was handled even though as I said most of its points were certainly accurate. It's just the way the information had been presented.

Also, the comments reguarding how many reviews you've written and also who had given you compliments reguarding your review, was sort of 'nose up in the air' if you know what I mean. It makes no difference to me who said what. It was obvious from the commentaries that even though they tried to sell the fact they truly cared about this film being made in the end... they didn't. And if they did care, they didn't take it seriously anyway.

But in the end your review although giving an impression that you really did expect the worst before seeing it therefore having somewhat of a bias... did have a lot of information and covered all the bases very well. You let us know about the standpoint on this film from the people involved with it, about the minimalistic extras and video and sound and the acting and everything else that should be involved in a review. The way you presented the material just may have been a tad better if it wasn't for the fact that you were implying that you were impartial to the Crow franchise from the get go.

But then again everybody is going to have a different opinion on how to do what and that's fine. At least in the end you still got all the info required across.
Old 07-22-05, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Scott Weinberg
How so, Nick?

He offered some critical comments and I responded with my own thoughts.

It's not like I trashed the guy or was pissy and disrespectful. I get lots of "hate" mail. I handle it just fine, thanks.
Oh no- I never thought you were attacking him or anything, I was making an observation.

Here, everyone has the opportunity to learn just why a review was written the way it was and actually get a response, and sometimes that sets you guys up for a lot of flack- which isn't easy to deal with, I would think.
Old 07-25-05, 01:23 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Has anyone seen this in rental or retail stores? Blockbuster does not carry it for rent, and Best Buy does not sell it.
Old 07-25-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Has anyone seen this in rental or retail stores? Blockbuster does not carry it for rent, and Best Buy does not sell it.
I saw it at WalMart yesterday.
Old 07-28-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Unfortunately, I picked this up as a blind buy, being a fan of Angel, The Crow and most of the cast. I should've listened to this review, because it was pretty much spot on. What a waste. At least it was good to see Tank back in action It was worth it to turn down the Matrix sequels for classics like this.
Old 08-01-05, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by matome
At least it was good to see Tank back in action It was worth it to turn down the Matrix sequels for classics like this.
Turn the sequels down? I thought he tried to sue the Wachowskis because they killed off his character, thus preventing him from ever appearing in any sequel.
Old 08-01-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, his character didn't die in the original. If I recall correctly the actor had made some totally ridiculous demands to return in the sequels, so the Wachowski told him to basically fuck off. In Reloaded, Tank had conveniently perished off screen. I think his widow or brother had parts in it and referred to the character. It's been a while since I've watched the sequels
Old 08-02-05, 12:54 AM

I haven't seen the original in years, and never bothered with the sequels.
I thought I had read or heard something about that guy relating to this some time ago...

What I got from it at the time was, here's this unknown actor with a bit part in a movie he probably thought would fail, who after being shocked to learn of how popular it became, wanted in on all the cash and fame to be made.
Old 08-02-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Over at the ANP board, several of us will watch the film on Wednesday night and grill it MST3K-style in the chat room. You're all welcome to help with the roasting..
Old 08-02-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ianholm
No, his character didn't die in the original. If I recall correctly the actor had made some totally ridiculous demands to return in the sequels, so the Wachowski told him to basically fuck off. In Reloaded, Tank had conveniently perished off screen. I think his widow or brother had parts in it and referred to the character. It's been a while since I've watched the sequels
Spoiler:
Yeah Tank is the one who gets up who kills Cypher with the ray gun. Dozer was the guy who was killed aboard Morpheus' ship.
Marcus Chong, the guy who played Tank is a psycho. You can read about the incident here. Hmm...surprisingly the the masterpiece that is The Crow: Wicked Prayer is Chong's first role in the six yeras since he was in the Matrix. Guess he's been saving up for the good parts.
Old 08-02-05, 08:45 PM

Adopted son of Tommy Chong...well there you go.
Old 08-02-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL, I missed that as I just skimmed over the article when I found it. Upon further reading, I found proof that drugs are bad for you:

"In an undated letter reputedly from Chong to Andy and Larry Wachowski, a string of deep-sounding, but vague thoughts ("Why suggest that either my faiths of anarchy must be chosen or my goals for profit."), give way to a bottom line: An offer of $250,000 for the two sequels is unacceptable. Either the studio will meet his price ($500,000, plus bonuses and guarantees he'll be invited to press junkets and premieres)...or he'll do the movies for free.

"I will do it for free because I love our project and want to protect the role and the integrity of the brothers' vision," Chong reputedly wrote.

In an October 2000 letter reputedly from the Wachowskis to Chong, the siblings, hailed as "mighty knights [who] shall truly break into Valhalla," in the Chong missive, say they understand the actor's stance, but think "it is in the best interest of all parties to move on."
Old 08-04-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Over at the ANP board, several of us will watch the film on Wednesday night and grill it MST3K-style in the chat room. You're all welcome to help with the roasting..
It was fun. Y'all should have stopped by.