Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Prozac Nation'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Aaron Beierle's DVD review of Prozac Nation at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16548 and...

...the movie is emotionally distant...

Well, the film is about depression and it is a emotionally distant disorder. I have to kindly let you know that I thought this film was good, and the voice over was ok, as it fits its purpose.
Old 07-04-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Though emotional distance is certainly fitting of the subject of depression, it also does not go hand in hand with entertainment(nor does depression ). That may be the point Beierle was trying to make. Perhaps the tone is appropo for the subject but it's "not for everyone," thus the low score. Low scores don't necessarily mean a film is bad but that it is an aquired taste or only fitting for a very specific audience. Speaking as someone who suffers from depression, I personally would not like to see an emotionally distant film, whether it cleverly fits the subject matter or not.

It's good that you like the film though, and if you've already seen it you already know whether or not you'd want to own it on dvd. I think reviews are mainly guages of universal reactions and a low score indicates that the majority of people might not enjoy the film quite so much.
Old 07-06-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this film a few years ago... I really liked it and found it to be a much better film than 2 1/2 stars.
Old 07-07-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just watched it, and enjoyed it...its a bummer for sure, but thats not always a bad thing
Old 07-26-05, 08:44 AM

Emotionally Distant is probably nice praise for this lifeless tale. Only in this self-absorbed age could a book by a self-absorbed person get turned into a movie about a self-absorbed person. I rented this movie and found myself stopping it frequently. Ultimately, I forced myself to finish it.