Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Would you recommend Diary of a Country Priest?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently watched Au hazard Balthazar and liked it a lot. It's not exactly the type of movie you just pop in when you're bored, but I think I might get even more out of it if I watched it again. Anyway, that's the only Bresson film I've seen and I was wondering how Balthazar compares to Diary of a Country Priest--if I liked one do you think I would like the other? Also, is there another Bresson movie I should try before Diary of a Country Priest or one that might be better?
Old 07-05-05, 01:12 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Of the two films I prefer Au Hazard Balthazar, but I certainly wouldn't discourage you from watching Diary of a Country Priest. Of the other Bresson films I've seen, I really liked A Man Escaped and L'Argent. I couldn't stand Lancelot du Lac, but many "Bresson-ites" love that film.

Last edited by wendersfan; 07-05-05 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-05-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given your liking of "Balthazar", I'd guess your next favorite Bresson film would likely be "Mouchette" (hopefully soon from the Criterion Collection). But "Country Priest" is certainly among his great works, the first true "Bressonian" film according to Bresson scholars, and certainly worth your time.
Old 07-05-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I've heard that Mouchette and Balthazar kind of go hand in hand and almost complement each other. Are there rumblings that Criterion will release it?

Last edited by whoopdido; 07-06-05 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-06-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, but only rumblings and inferences! Of course, the same rumblings were heard about an imminent Criterion "Balthazar" when it was released in the UK along with "Mouchette", and those rumblings bore fruit! (Heh... mixing metaphors like crazy here!)
Old 07-07-05, 07:31 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Since Mouchette and Au Hazard Balthazar were made back to back and both have teenage girls as their leads there's really no way they can be separated.