DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'Notre Musique'

Old 06-29-05, 06:17 PM
Cool New Member

DVD Talk review of 'Notre Musique'

I had a quick question/point about this review. Its a good review, so thanks to the author...

The review (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16095) says that Notre Musique is presented in 1:37:1 aspect ratio. So, naturally, I was a bit suspicious when I just received my DVD which stated a 1:33:1 aspect ratio. After searching the internet, however, I've found out that 1:33:1 is the actual OAR. Since I don't know much about aspect ratios and such, I'd imagine that this is just a minor error, but might want to be fixed to avoid confusing people. Especially since a good deal of people freak out over the idea of Pan and Scan.
Old 06-30-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Dear Maxw101:

Thank you for your kind note!

Let me address your concern above: The original aspect ratio of the film is indeed 1.37:1 and that is how Godard shot the film. In technical terms a ratio of 1.33:1 does not exist, or shall I say it only exists in the skewed lingo that companies inherited after Blockbuster and their policy of hacking/chopping off films (a.k.a pan/scan “format”). With other words, although it is incorrect to say it ...1.33:1 and 1.37:1 are the same thing...and yet they are NOT (look for more info on Academy ratio- 1.37:1).

Hope this makes sense to you! And here you could see the official aspect ratio for Godard's latest:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360845/technical

Sincerely yours,
Pro-B
Old 06-30-05, 05:21 PM
Cool New Member

Haha. You have thoroughly confused me, but thanks for trying. This is why I tend to leave this kind of stuff to people more well-versed in it than I am.
Old 06-30-05, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by maxw101
Haha. You have thoroughly confused me, but thanks for trying. This is why I tend to leave this kind of stuff to people more well-versed in it than I am.
Bottom line: don't sweat it. The difference between 1.33:1 and 1.37:1 is imperceptible.