Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Second Season'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 06-27-05, 12:05 PM

I read Don Houston's DVD review of The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete Second Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=15941 and...
I was impressed with this statement:
"... one should remember that at it's heart, the show was about a cop that cared and his community that supported his efforts to do right by them. Isn't that the kind of law enforcement we all want, even today?"

Even today? Especially today is more like it.

Due to your glowing recommendation, I bought my own copy and have enjoyed it immensely. I decided to take advantage of the rebate offer by ordering the first season too. Just wanted to say you were right, it's a great addition to my bloating collection. It's no wonder it was a success with Ron Howard's adorableness oozing out of every episode!
Old 06-28-05, 06:31 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Thanks Ginger. Police relations with the community would be vastly improved if both "sides" (for lack of a better term) would keep afew things in mind; the police should remember that they don't own us and that our civil rights aren't merely inconveniences for them to circumvent with the assistance of the courts, and the community would do well to remember that professional policing is still a fairly new concept since their job used to be done by the rest of us (rather than that always being the case) so cooperating with them when we see something happen might make it easier for them to take care of business (as well as following the laws or changing them as we see fit rather than whine when we get caught red handed).

The show has long been one of the most popular in polls for television shows so it's good to see the seasons coming out as regularly as they do; they just need to add some updated extras to really sell them.
Old 06-28-05, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Houstondon
Thanks Ginger. Police relations with the community would be vastly improved if both "sides" (for lack of a better term) would keep afew things in mind; the police should remember that they don't own us and that our civil rights aren't merely inconveniences for them to circumvent with the assistance of the courts, and the community would do well to remember that professional policing is still a fairly new concept since their job used to be done by the rest of us (rather than that always being the case) so cooperating with them when we see something happen might make it easier for them to take care of business (as well as following the laws or changing them as we see fit rather than whine when we get caught red handed).
I'm lucky in that I've had very little "dealings" with the po-lice. I was raised Catholic and had a daddy that would of been so dissappointed in me if I'd of been a hell raiser and I guess that helped me avoid a lot of situations that potentially could of resulted in police intervention. I look back over my life now and think "what a wimp" I was.... didn't dabble in dope, didn't get a tattoo, didn't "do" bars.....married young and spent my whole life wiping butts and noses, slinging hash, trying to stay one step ahead of the laundry pile and making everyone's life run smoothly. The being raised Catholic part means I feel guilty about EVERYTHING and all a cop has to do is look over at me in traffic and I start sweating! I do what I can to show my feeble support of all matters law enforceable....I donate to Crime Stoppers and The 100 Club and never miss an episode of Cops!