DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk review of 'The Gospel of John'

Old 06-25-05, 10:14 PM

DVD Talk review of 'The Gospel of John'

I read Jeffrey Robinson's DVD review of The Gospel of John at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=16269 and...

I would recommend watching the DVD over & over. The words themselves are gripping. The long hair on the Lord Jesus is probably a medieval convention which is historically inaccurate. The deity of Christ comes through better than any portrayal I have seen: "Before Abraham was, I am." The movie fails most notably at the arrest of the Lord Jesus, where the text and audio state approximately as follows:

Whom do you seek?
5 They answered Him, "Jesus of Nazareth."
Jesus says to them, I am [He]. . . .
6 As soon then as He had said unto them, I am [He], they went backward, and fell to the ground.

Now how on earth can they present an audio like that and NOT have the guards on the screen go backward and fall to the ground?

The Gospel of John is the gospel of the sign-miracles and the gospel of the "I AM's." (Ego eimi in Greek.) "I am the bread . . . " "I am the way . . . ," etc. Before Abraham was, I am. Clearly the Lord Jesus is taking the title of Jehovah God, calling Himself the "I am," hearkening back to the Moses burning bush story, where Moses asks about God's name. At the arrest of the Lord Jesus, there is no actual word in the original for "He" as in "I am He." The Greek just says, "I AM." When this name is uttered, the guards fall down -- what a dramatic moment to miss in the acting, incongruous with the audio.

This is the absolute best presentation of the Life of Christ ever made, IMO. It is accurate because it follows the exact words of the Bible, albeit in a modern translation.

The producers seem to slow in marketing. They should have put out a Spanish dubbed version and subtitles long ago, IMO.

Last edited by Enoch; 06-25-05 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-26-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about Jeffrey Robinson's review?