Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Kagemusha: Special Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 11:26 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I read Ian Jane's DVD review of Kagemusha: Special Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14980 and...i just rented "Ran". If i like "Ran" will i also like "Kagemusha"?
Old 03-25-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Kagamusha" is a more complex film, with much less mainstream appeal. It's difficult to say with any certainty whether you'll like it, but if you're a Kurosawa fan you will. If your only exposure to Kurosawa is "Ran", then you might not. Nonetheless, it's definitely worth your time, so do rent it!

(BTW, Warner Bros.' R2/PAL UK two-disc set of "Ran" is far superior to Wellspring's R1 disc... just in case you were looking to purchase that film for your collection.)
Old 03-27-05, 06:52 PM

I love Kurosawa, but Ran is probably one of my least favourites of his. Not so say it's bad, but i'd say more like... 7.5/10. I haven't seen Kagemusha but i've been looking forward to it so much.

Now that I think about it, that's pretty damn off-topic, sorry but just thought i'd share. PS. I'm sure if you like Ran you'll at least somewhat like Kagemusha.
Old 03-27-05, 08:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by The Ferret
I love Kurosawa, but Ran is probably one of my least favourites of his. Not so say it's bad, but i'd say more like... 7.5/10. I haven't seen Kagemusha but i've been looking forward to it so much.

Now that I think about it, that's pretty damn off-topic, sorry but just thought i'd share. PS. I'm sure if you like Ran you'll at least somewhat like Kagemusha.
i'm actually having a hard time getting through "Ran", but i don't think i have given it enough of a chance yet...
Old 03-28-05, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have to admit I LOVE RAN and am eagerly looking forward to receiveing Kagemusha on tmrw. I've been reading comaprisons for both the R1 & R2 Ran and have picked up the R2 as well. Just on the extras alone, it's a treasure trove.