Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Carolina'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 03-19-05, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Daniel W. Kelly's DVD review of Carolina at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14644 and...dang if I can find it on the shelves of my Blockbuster store! I asked for it by name and all I got back was a post-pubescent blank stare. The store manager was kind enough to call two other stores for me and none of them had it and he said they weren't getting it either. My youngest is waiting for it from Blockbuster online so maybe I'll get to see it before I'm Shirley's age! Wish me luck!
Old 03-26-05, 11:25 PM

I finallly got to see Carolina and it was cute. It was also predictible and some of the down-home dysfunctional parts were a tad over-the-top for my tastes. I'd have to say that a good portion of the dialogue given to Shirley made me as uncomfortable as a blind cat in a roomful of rocking chairs.... but on whole the film was enjoyable to watch. All the young folks are so darn young and cute and fresh and perfect....and the old folks were so darn old and cute and brash and flawed that it made for an interesting mix at mealtimes.

The hype says the movie is "As funny and charming as Sweet Home Alabama" and that's a pack of hooey. The only resemblence I could see would of been that Ms. Stiles is every bit as blond and adorable as Reese Witherspoon, but she lacks the flair for comedy so she just pretty much stands around and looks tolerant of her slew of mixed nuts she drew for relatives.

The best thing in the movie is Shirley MacLaine, but she's usually the best thing in ever movie she's ever made. She's a fine actress, but she's only as good as the script.
Old 03-27-05, 05:31 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Pretty soon, you'll be officially reviewing old folks titles for the website. Yay Ginger!