Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 1'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-05, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Jason Bovberg's DVD review of Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 1 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14750 and...

In which way is Volume 1 incomplete? Do the stories not have a beginning, middle, and end? I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind this criticism. I think we should be glad we got a whole 20 episodes, rather than just ten in two different volumes. Additionally, given the format change for the upcoming season, I think it's perfectly appropriate that the more vignette-style cartoons are all together on one volume. Of course, if I knew that I could get everything I ever wanted, I'd agree with you. But as things are I don't think it's the right thing to critisize the content of a package for not including what it clearly states it doesn't have.
Old 03-06-05, 02:12 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally Posted by Lucasthucus
I read Jason Bovberg's DVD review of Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 1 at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14750 and...

In which way is Volume 1 incomplete? Do the stories not have a beginning, middle, and end? I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind this criticism. I think we should be glad we got a whole 20 episodes, rather than just ten in two different volumes. Additionally, given the format change for the upcoming season, I think it's perfectly appropriate that the more vignette-style cartoons are all together on one volume. Of course, if I knew that I could get everything I ever wanted, I'd agree with you. But as things are I don't think it's the right thing to critisize the content of a package for not including what it clearly states it doesn't have.
I think what Jason is saying is that since there is a second half being developed... it would have made more sense to package the ENTIRE series on DVD instead of selling half now and half later.

What you seem to be arguing is that we should be happy they didn't release the current release vol 1 as two separate volumes? So, I'm not sure why you even bring this up... because it seems you are the kind of individual who might enjoy it if they had the entire series in a single volume versus two volumes, which looks to be what Jason was complaining about.

Of course, this is up for interpretation.
Old 03-06-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
As I understand it, the entire reason for the development of this series is to bridge Episodes 2 and 3. Unless I'm mistaken, the DVD contains half of that bridge story, and the remainder is soon to air on Cartoon Network. I would rather have seen the whole bridge story on this DVD, in anticipation of "Revenge of the Sith."
Old 03-08-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jrobinson
I think what Jason is saying is that since there is a second half being developed... it would have made more sense to package the ENTIRE series on DVD instead of selling half now and half later.
What Jason probably doesn't know is that the episodes in Volume 2 will be much longer than the ones in Volume 1. While the episodes in Volume 1 were about 3 minutes each, the episodes in Volume 2 will be 12 minutes long!

So, to me, it makes sense to release them separately.

Here's a little synopsis of Clone Wars Volume II.
Old 03-08-05, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by jarofclay73
What Jason probably doesn't know is that the episodes in Volume 2 will be much longer than the ones in Volume 1. While the episodes in Volume 1 were about 3 minutes each, the episodes in Volume 2 will be 12 minutes long!
Yes, but as I mention in the review, there will only be five of them, right? If the Cartoon Network had simply waited a bit, it could have released 2 hours worth of material on one complete DVD rather than separate the "bridge" story onto two discs.

Wouldn't it have made sense to release the entire "bridge" story on one DVD? Am I way off base here? I suppose it's just a cash decision.
Old 03-08-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
Wouldn't it have made sense to release the entire "bridge" story on one DVD? Am I way off base here? I suppose it's just a cash decision.
No, you're right... from a consumer standpoint, it would make sense to release the whole 2-hour thing on one disc.

The problem is one of logistics (they didn't decide to do Season 3 until very late in the game) and -- as you surmised -- cash/marketing.

If they release the Clone Wars DVD now, they can both get free advertising for Season 3 and also build more hype (like it's really needed!) for Episode III. And they still have another season to release in conjunction with the Episode III DVD in the fall.

It's for purely marketing reasons, so I have no issue with this being brought up in a review. It would make a hell of a lot more sense (from a strictly consumer standpoint) to wait until the show is 'done' before releasing it.

That being said, weren't there 2 different commentaries on the Internet for this? One at Cartoon Network.com and one at StarWars.com's Hyperspace? Is one of those missing?
Old 03-08-05, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Weren't there 2 different commentaries on the Internet for this? One at Cartoon Network.com and one at StarWars.com's Hyperspace? Is one of those missing?
There are two commentaries on the disc. I'm not sure of the origin of the first one (perhaps it was a CartoonNetwork.com exclusive, but the packing makes no mention of that), but I know the second one is the StarWars.com one.
Old 03-08-05, 04:57 PM

Well, my opinion's certainly been changed.. Maybe I'll just wait and see if they'll release them as a two pack, or something.
Old 03-08-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucasthucus
Maybe I'll just wait and see if they'll release them as a two pack, or something.
This is inevitable.
Old 03-09-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, you're not way off base here. It's plausible to have them wait for everything to put in one set. In fact, I wouldn't say it's still out of the question that they still COULD make one complete super-duper ultimate edition of "Clone Wars."

Maybe what I should have said was that we should wait until we see this season's episodes and THEN we can see how well they all work together in one package.

For me, I want Vol. 1 NOW!!!!!
Old 03-09-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI... the Web site is now up for Season 3:

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/promos...ars/index.html

(which they have apparently renamed 'Volume II" )
Old 03-10-05, 11:16 AM
Cool New Member

If the Cartoon Network had simply waited a bit, it could have released 2 hours worth of material on one complete DVD rather than separate the "bridge" story onto two discs.
Could you be overlooking the rights involved here? The decision to release this DVD, at this time, lies with Fox and LucasFilm. Cartoon Network, a Time Warner company, probably only had broadcast rights.

It's very possible (though not likely) that Tartokofsky and Cartoon Network might have preferred a 'complete' release, yet were 'clouded' by the dark side.

I understand the beef, I'm just saying the venom should be directed at the right folks...
Old 03-10-05, 11:40 AM

Good points, Hanumang. I stand by my complaint from the consumer perspective, but I've edited the review with some of these (and other) thoughts.
Old 03-10-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I've edited the review with some of these (and other) thoughts.
Revisionist! I bet you made Greedo shoot first this time, didn't you? You've raped my childhood!!!
Old 03-22-05, 09:44 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
is the "Clone Wars" worth a purchase now? the extras seem sparse and only 70 minutes of video seems a bit underwhelming. But, I haven't see vol. 1 and 2 and do want to before i tape and watch vol. 3.

so overall is this worth $12.99 (BB)?
Old 03-22-05, 12:10 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by scott1598
is the "Clone Wars" worth a purchase now? the extras seem sparse and only 70 minutes of video seems a bit underwhelming. But, I haven't see vol. 1 and 2 and do want to before i tape and watch vol. 3.

so overall is this worth $12.99 (BB)?
(Haven't made it out to Best Buy myself yet but I've TiVo'd the first season and...)

Yes. $12.99 is a great price. This is a case of quality over quantity. It's only 70 minutes, but it's a very enjoyable way to spend 70 minutes.
Old 03-22-05, 01:45 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
I'm still having trouble with the chronology of these animated shorts. According to the DVDTalk review:

"Before you get too hot and bothered about Clone Wars, know that these first two miniseasons don’t quite fill in all the gaps. You won’t be able to buy this DVD and be primed and ready for Revenge of the Sith. No, the Cartoon Network plans five more 12-minute episodes—another hour—of material to air about when this "Volume 1" DVD is released. These episodes will comprise "Volume 3" of the animated Clone Wars saga and will finally lead into the feature. So consider this half of the story."

So we have Volume 1 now on DVD and Cartoon Network is currently broadcasting Volume 3; so where's Volume 2???
Old 03-22-05, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I'm still having trouble with the chronology of these animated shorts. According to the DVDTalk review:

"Before you get too hot and bothered about Clone Wars, know that these first two miniseasons don’t quite fill in all the gaps. You won’t be able to buy this DVD and be primed and ready for Revenge of the Sith. No, the Cartoon Network plans five more 12-minute episodes—another hour—of material to air about when this "Volume 1" DVD is released. These episodes will comprise "Volume 3" of the animated Clone Wars saga and will finally lead into the feature. So consider this half of the story."

So we have Volume 1 now on DVD and Cartoon Network is currently broadcasting Volume 3; so where's Volume 2???
volume II is technically what's on right now as they changed it from season 3. 1 & 2 were the first 1-20 chapters.
Old 03-22-05, 01:54 PM

but is there replay value in the DVD's and are the commentaries and other sparse extras worth it as well?
Old 03-22-05, 01:58 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
volume II is technically what's on right now as they changed it from season 3. 1 & 2 were the first 1-20 chapters.
So when the reviewer referred to Volume 3, he actually meant Season 3, which will be packaged as Volume 2, yes?
Old 03-22-05, 01:58 PM
Banned

but is there replay value in the DVD's and are the commentaries and other sparse extras worth it as well?
I think you meant to quote someone else...
Old 03-22-05, 04:29 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to wait for the 2 pack
Old 03-22-05, 08:22 PM
Cool New Member

So when the reviewer referred to Volume 3, he actually meant Season 3, which will be packaged as Volume 2, yes?
Yes.

Initially, LucasFilm & Cartoon Network announced 20 episodes. The first 10 aired in the fall of 2003 and were called - at the time - Season 1. The second 10 aired in the Spring of 2004 and were called Season 2. After the strong fan response - and the revelation that more money could be made, I'm sure - LucasFilm & Cartoon Network announced Season 3.

The DVD on sale now is Volume 1 (aka Season 1 & 2 edited together).
Old 03-22-05, 08:25 PM
Cool New Member

I believe there is replay value in the film, for sure. The extras are one-time things, IMHO.

Judging by your collection (appreciation for Star Wars & animation), I think you'll enjoy it.
Old 03-23-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The trailer is pretty cool! Had to break down and see it...

Man, that animation is pretty horrible though! Halfway through it and I'm hoping I'll get used to it like I did the Clerks cartoon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.