DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Heat: Special Edition

Old 02-20-05, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heat: Special Edition

I really want to talk about this movie and the other thread was just garbeled, annoying crap. If anyone feels like sharing their opinions or critiquing either of the DVDTalk reviews, do it here.
Old 02-20-05, 11:04 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 900 Likes on 761 Posts
you should probably talk about specifics and then use movie or DVD talk forum. prolly get better responses related to actual film or DVD presentation. i said what i had to say in the other though.
Old 02-22-05, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what a helpful reply that is. I"m gonna get pick up Heat in a few along with Get Shorty and maybe Nausicaa... contemplating Huckabees. I've seen the movie before and love it. Especially the great robbery escape sequence. The sounds of the gunfire is so damn good =) And hey its Pacino and DeNiro... tho would have been nicer if they went at it/had more scenes together.
Old 02-22-05, 07:14 PM

preach^

yeh, the robbery scene, along with the club scene from collateral, are two of my favorite crime/action scenes evar. Michael Mann es teh manns...
Old 02-23-05, 09:36 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Regarding Mann's commentary on Heat, I've heard a mixed bag of reviews. I think the DVDTalk review stated that it starts of well, but then peters out as the film comes to a conclusion. The review of the DVD in my local newspaper said that the commentary was very informative for the length of the whole movie.

I plan on picking this DVD up eventually, but am just curious.
Old 02-23-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched this last night. Too bad the transfer wasn't improved as it's mediocre for today's standards.
Old 02-23-05, 05:31 PM
mwj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my copy from BN.com today. I thought there would be more than 10 minutes of deleted scenes. The transfer looks good but I am watching on a 27" TV so the flaws would be less apparent. Still I'm happy to have an SE of this great movie.

Last edited by mwj; 02-23-05 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-23-05, 06:17 PM

mediocre for todays standards? besides some grain here and there i didnt notice anything...

oh, and regarding the mann commentary, i agree that it starts off rather well but i think its really the middle hour or so that gets boring. from the bank heist scene on, he gets a bit more talkative. However, the commentary wasnt very good (i liked Collateral's much better ) and he just repeated alot of things. All in all, the special features on this release were very sub-par...