Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Karate Kid Collection'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 02-07-05, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Francis Rizzo III's DVD review of The Karate Kid Collection at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14257 and... I have some major concerns of the version of Karate Kid I released in this collection. While listening to the commentary track around the beach scene one of the filmmakers states that the framing seems very tight on this release. I think that the original fullscreen version might have been open matte. When I compare this "new" version with my original fullscreen version noting was added at all to the sides and only the top and bottom were matted out. When I compare the widescreen editions of Karate Kid II and Karate Kid III to their respective fullscreen versions the widescreen versions do contain a little more image to each of the sides, but also have the top and bottom of the image matted out like they should. I could be wrong, but the framing on this widescreen edition does not look quite right to me. I am most concerned with what the filmmaker said in the commentary track....
Old 02-07-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a feeling that the director was probably only used to seeing the fullscreen (open-matte) version of the film, like we all are, because that has been the only way to see it until this DVD. If the movie is still in 1.85:1 like it should be, then the framing shouldn't be any tighter than it was in the theaters originally, though mistakes have been made before (BTTF).