Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews of Porco Rosso and Nausicaa on IGN

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews of Porco Rosso and Nausicaa on IGN

Old 02-26-05, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyguts
I took a look at the old tape, and sure enough, there's a good 5-8% of the screen cropped off at the top. This is the case throughout the entire movie. if you consider yourself a Ghibli purist, this is just another reason to hope that Criterion takes an interest in this film some day.
I have nothing to reference the Disney/BV DVD to other than memory, sadly (just screen shots). I heard the R2 DVD showed a more brilliantly red Savoia too. Those who have the film memorized will probably also take exception to some of the English dub dialogue changes (it's Disney...what did you expect? Go French). But I still love having this DVD. Even the girlfriend's not allowed to borrow it.
Old 03-01-05, 09:08 AM
Cool New Member

A question: when I listen at the new DD2.0 mono soundmix of Nausicaä(dvd player pluged in digital to an 5.1 AV amplifier), sound come only from the center Channel....is it normal?
Old 03-01-05, 09:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by eric-v
A question: when I listen at the new DD2.0 mono soundmix of Nausicaä(dvd player pluged in digital to an 5.1 AV amplifier), sound come only from the center Channel....is it normal?
you're kind of answering your own question eric-v, mono (DD1, not DD2) will come from only one audio channel, and that's usually the center channel. On my Yamaha receiver, you can actually turn off the effect and redirect the mono source so that it comes out of the two L/R channels, not true stereo sound, but a fuller sound since two speakers are extracting the mono soundmix.
Old 03-01-05, 10:07 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Giles
you're kind of answering your own question eric-v, mono (DD1, not DD2) will come from only one audio channel, and that's usually the center channel. On my Yamaha receiver, you can actually turn off the effect and redirect the mono source so that it comes out of the two L/R channels, not true stereo sound, but a fuller sound since two speakers are extracting the mono soundmix.
That's the probleme: most sites(dvdtalk also!) which have tested this DVD said DD2.0 or DD stéréo....so, it seems that they made a mistake and as ultimatedisney.com says, it's DD mono and it appears quite normal that only the center channel works...
Old 03-01-05, 10:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the film has always been in mono sound, I have no idea why sites are claiming something that isn't true:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/vid...icaa/#j_dvd_re

http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_lis...948&format=DVD

Last edited by Giles; 03-01-05 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-01-05, 12:02 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Giles
the film has always been in mono sound, I have no idea why sites are claiming something that isn't true:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/vid...icaa/#j_dvd_re

http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click...948&format=DVD
Thank you then
Old 03-01-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by eric-v
That's the probleme: most sites(dvdtalk also!) which have tested this DVD said DD2.0 or DD stéréo....so, it seems that they made a mistake and as ultimatedisney.com says, it's DD mono and it appears quite normal that only the center channel works...
The DVD is Dolby Digital 2.0 mono. This means that the mono signal is sent to both the left and right channels. With ProLogic decoding, your receiver should matrix all mono sound into the center speaker.

Dolby Digital 1.0 sends the mono audio discretely to the center channel (Criterion favors this format), but the net audible effect is the same.

If you would like to hear the audio come from your two side speakers instead, go into your receiver's set-up menu and disable your center channel. The receiver will then redirect the signal to the front left and front right (but it will still be monaural). Just remember to turn the center speaker back on the next time you watch a disc with a surround track.
Old 03-02-05, 02:39 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The DVD is Dolby Digital 2.0 mono. This means that the mono signal is sent to both the left and right channels. With ProLogic decoding, your receiver should matrix all mono sound into the center speaker.

Dolby Digital 1.0 sends the mono audio discretely to the center channel (Criterion favors this format), but the net audible effect is the same.

If you would like to hear the audio come from your two side speakers instead, go into your receiver's set-up menu and disable your center channel. The receiver will then redirect the signal to the front left and front right (but it will still be monaural). Just remember to turn the center speaker back on the next time you watch a disc with a surround track.
That's what happen in my case.I'll try to disable the center channel and let you know if this improve the result.
thanks for all
Old 03-02-05, 06:18 AM
Cool New Member

So! I tried to declare the center channel "none" and it's....awful! dynamic divide by 3 or 4, dialogues less clear.Sound seems coming from far away...
Better let it on ONE very good channel(thanksfully, my center is a huge one!)
Old 03-02-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While there are certain proponents of "big, fat, wide mono" (aka "from two speakers"), I've always found them to sound better when a one-channel track is sent directly to the center. Of course, most of these are Criterions and they generally take much better care to find good elements and clean them up without stamping the life out of them in the process, so that may have something to do with it.

I've read on certain audiophile forums a preference for one-speaker playback of mono music recordings, but ever since the advent of stereo recording and the age of "the stereo hi-fi" the one speaker mono audio system is generally relegated to little more than the clock radio. It makes good sense from a practical standpoint, but I wonder if the advent of the center channel speaker in home theater systems sorta resurrected that old, old debate?
Old 03-02-05, 03:17 PM

Frankly, I don't know why anyone would choose 2-channel mono over centre-channel mono. Warner exclusively uses 1.0 for their library titles and any one of those discs sounds better to me than the plethora of 2.0 DVDs from Columbia Tri-Star, MGM, et al. Just compare Criterion's STRAW DOGS to MGM's--no contest, the Criterion has crisper, fuller audio even though it's all being funnelled into a single speaker.

Bill C
Old 03-02-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by flmfreakcentral
Frankly, I don't know why anyone would choose 2-channel mono over centre-channel mono. Warner exclusively uses 1.0 for their library titles and any one of those discs sounds better to me than the plethora of 2.0 DVDs from Columbia Tri-Star, MGM, et al. Just compare Criterion's STRAW DOGS to MGM's--no contest, the Criterion has crisper, fuller audio even though it's all being funnelled into a single speaker.
The 2.0 mono track is also being funnelled into a single speaker if ProLogic is engaged. The Criterion sounds better because they made the effort to obtain better quality sound elements.

All else being equal, there should really be no audible difference between a 1.0 mono track and a 2.0 mono track.
Old 03-07-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally finished watching NAUSICAA over a period of 3 nights. I liked it a lot, but not as much as PRINCESS MONONOKE, a film a lot of people online and friends in real life have told me was derivative of NAUSICAA... some saying it's even better than PM... which I don't agree with. Sure they have a lot of the same themes and images, the whole respect for Nature thing being one of them, but it's still different enough to be seen as a different movie. The animation and look was top notch, at least for the time it came out, but the storyline really dragged for the first 20-30 minutes. My g/f wasn't able to stick through it : "It's been 30 minutes and all we get is how super Nausicaa is!" (yes she likes anime and other Miyazaki's movies, SPIRITED AWAY being at the top for her). She wasn't too keen on the "gross" insects either, heh.
I dunno, I didn't get what all the fuss was about this movie, I wasn't blown away like some of his other movies, but like I said, I enjoyed it overall. Oh and the fox squirrel rules!!! Miyazaki has a knack for making cool animal sidekicks, even if they don't really do anything besides looking cute, but in a cool way.

On the technical end, I don't know WTF people are talking about with the image quality. It looked more than fine to me, granted I was watching it on a 35" CRT TV (Toshiba). Also, I watched it in Japanese audio where I noticed the voices were louder than the sound effects and music, which kind of bugged me, but I got used to it after a while.