Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

ANGEL: One more review to go...

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

ANGEL: One more review to go...

Old 02-15-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Puzznic
Angel isn't like Buffy, where some seasons are just horrible compared to the best seasons.
Complete disagreement. I like all of the Buffy seasons, and am generally just annoyed with S4 and S6 haters. But Angel S4 I find very little redeeming about.
Old 02-15-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you on Buffy 4. With the exception of Adam it was an excellent season. Buffy Season 6 is ok, underated by most accounts. Angel season 4 runs circles around Buffy Season 7, which was not even half as good as any other Buffy season.
Old 02-15-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only finished 4 episodes of Season 5 and I gotta say this is already worlds better than anything seen in Angel's 4th season. There is still some wild and far out there things but I'm enjoying it far more.
Old 02-18-05, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finished my set in about 28 hours or so and while it's a step up from the 4th season.....it doesn't have the kick I was hoping for. There are some really good episodes but a number of them are ones I would never watch again, Harm's Way and The Girl In Question come to mind. Smile Time was cool but Angel's personality in it is just so different than any other episode that I couldn't get into is as much as I had hoped. Joss sure likes to torture and torment his characters and in the process I felt very disconnected from the show. The end of the show was good even if it wasn't what I hoped for.
Old 02-18-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To put it as concisely as possible:

Any season with Connor sucks ass. Therefore 5 > 4.
Old 02-18-05, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
But Connor's in season 5...

But seriously, I think you're supposed to really hate Connor in season4, and the actor does a great job at making him hateable. Just look at his work in season 5 - not hateable at all...
Old 02-18-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
But Connor's in season 5...

But seriously, I think you're supposed to really hate Connor in season4, and the actor does a great job at making him hateable. Just look at his work in season 5 - not hateable at all...
Beg to differ. It was only a couple of episodes IIRC, and I still wanted him dead. In fact, I remember thinking how great it would be if they had brought him back just to kill him off and give Angel something new to brood about.

I think that they were going for a kid that been mislead his whole life and is therefore a sympathetic character, but he was just far too annoying and whiney to be sympathetic.
Old 03-03-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
...and here it is...! Again, sorry, but I didn't get the set in the mail until Saturday, and I've done pretty much nothing but work, sleep, and watch Angel since. It's very, very long, so there ought to be plenty to criticize.
Old 03-04-05, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice review. I kind of disagree with "The only good Wes is a miserable, tortured Wes" as Buffy fans all know that there is nothing funnier than Wes of "BACK YOU HELL BEAST!" or whatever the line was. What a great character and actor to go from that comic part to the grim, kickass Wes of Angel.

And you're so right about the finale wiping away any complaints about the season. We're about 5 episodes into the set now and fighting back the urge to jump to the finale. THAT'S how you end a dark show!
Old 03-04-05, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As always, great review, Adam. I've read a lot of reviews of this set that I found to be overly sentimental and not particularly insightful, but you've done a good job capturing both the strengths and weaknesses of this season, even if I don't agree with all of it.

Paprika

das
Old 03-07-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We've been powering through the set (just finished Smile Time last night) and I'm amazed at how good this season is. Only the second episode and the slayer episode have been "eh". Other than that, on second viewing, I put it up there with the best Angel seasons (which is pretty much all of them). I don't know if it was own disgust at Buffy S7 or the stuttery programming that left months at a time without a new episode, but my so-so enthusiasm for the season the first time around was totally wrong. It's great.
Old 03-07-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished the S5 set. I enjoyed S5 when it aired. I liked it even better the second time around. The only episode I didn't like was the Cordy episode. It's a travesty what they did to her character. With that and the rewriting of history from the Jasmine character, it ruined almost the entire season of enjoyment for me. And it ruined my enjoyment of this episode. Connor was bad, but I think it was supposed to be that way.

For the record, S5 is much better than S4!

And now that all the sets are out I'll be starting over from the beginning of BtVS soon. It's been a few years since I watched early Buffy, and reading the thread in TVTalk has me really excited to sit through it all again.
Old 03-07-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

could have dealt without the Number 5 episode, but it had a funny beginning. Fav episode had to be Smile Time.

Seeing Amy Acker with blue hair and wearing tight leather
Old 03-09-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

GAH! Right at the end of Hole in the World (you know the scene I'm talking about) my disc starts freezing up like crazy!!! Am I gonna have to send this set back?
Old 03-12-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The freezing issue is mysterious to me. If I take the disc out between episodes then it's ok.

Whatever. Regardless, I'm bringing this thread back up because now that we're nearly done with the season I have to say, S5 REALLY stands up. In fact, I think it stands with the best Buffyverse seasons. The only lackluster parts for us come when there's anything Slayer related (the one slayer episode and the stupid Buffy/Immortal scenes, even though the rest of that episode is great.) This season has that mix of personal and suspense that makes the best Buffyverse seasons (Buffy S2, Angel S3) work so incredibly well for me. I'm totally digging S5.