Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'AVP - Alien Vs. Predator'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 01-17-05, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read Aaron Beierle's DVD review of AVP - Alien Vs. Predator at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13839 and...I ahve to agree that this movie really was crap. I mean, the first time I watched it I sais to myself "Ok, so its not the best movie in the world but hey, its pretty entertaining" however, on the second viewing of this film (yeah, i had to go along with friends who refused to listen to me), I actually fell asleep. Definately not a Replay movie =(
Old 01-17-05, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna give this film another try. It may be one of those that gets better with multiple viewings. I actually enjoyed the final half hour, but the first half of the film could had been so much better.
Old 01-18-05, 04:51 PM

Nah, I liked the middle somewhat but yeh beginning was waaaaaaaaay too slow.

*******SPOILER WARNING**************

And, as for the ending, it was okay action wise but story wise? Jesus, the freekin' Predator shouldn't become the hero! What the fugg? I know, it was a little more explained during the whole "Thousands of years ago!..............." sequence thing but still. I came to see a total, non-stop bloodwar between two cold hearted sci-fi legends, not a softie story of "joining forces" and all. Total BS!!!

***********END SPOILER**************
Old 01-18-05, 05:44 PM

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
I didn't care for this movie at all. I doubt the alternate version - all 2 minutes more of it - will change my view. Although I would like to listen to the commentaries and hear them gloat about how great of a movie it is.
Old 01-19-05, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Master Shake 05
Nah, I liked the middle somewhat but yeh beginning was waaaaaaaaay too slow.

*******SPOILER WARNING**************

And, as for the ending, it was okay action wise but story wise? Jesus, the freekin' Predator shouldn't become the hero! What the fugg? I know, it was a little more explained during the whole "Thousands of years ago!..............." sequence thing but still. I came to see a total, non-stop bloodwar between two cold hearted sci-fi legends, not a softie story of "joining forces" and all. Total BS!!!

***********END SPOILER**************
And that my friend is the reason why Anderson should never again be allowed to write a script again. He took the same route out with Resident Evil: Apocalypse. Monsters should NEVER become the hero's allie!
Old 01-19-05, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by MonsterMan
And that my friend is the reason why Anderson should never again be allowed to write a script again. He took the same route out with Resident Evil: Apocalypse. Monsters should NEVER become the hero's allie!
Yeh I kno the whole Nemesis thing was such BS too. Jesus, did he even play the frickin game? Nemesis doesn't become a good guy! Jesus Anderson, if you want to push some moronic/Disney-ish stories into theaters, don't acossiate them with already good, well-established franchises! Damn that freekin dumbass gets me ticked off!!!!!
Old 01-20-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I didn't care for this movie at all. I doubt the alternate version - all 2 minutes more of it - will change my view. Although I would like to listen to the commentaries and hear them gloat about how great of a movie it is.
I watched the "extended" version on last night and the extra 2 minutes provide some background info on the whaling station but that's it. I enjoyed the film in the theater because in my book this film is not on par with any of the previosu flicks from either franchise. It's more along the lines of "Freddy Vs. Jason", silly yet kind of enjoyable. If you take it for what it is, you may enjoy it a bit more. In case you are wondering I have the R3 2-disc HK version.
Old 01-20-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Should be in the 2 Dollar bin soon after release.
Old 01-25-05, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris
Should be in the 2 Dollar bin soon after release.
lmao , its funny because its true. Imo the thing that hurt this movie the most besides the directing was the fact they had to chop it up to make it pg13. I remember hearing a few months ago about a rumored unrated/directers cut version that should be r rated? Any release dates or new on this?
Old 01-26-05, 04:19 PM

like the unrated version will be much better...

just more of that annoying french prick saying "u ugly sonova..." and stuff and maybe a little blood spilt here and there. Blah this movie still sux hard.
Old 01-30-05, 05:53 PM

Krrrrrep!!
Old 02-01-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i just seen it tonight and its not as bad as some people make it out to be, its a popcorn movie i was enjoyed it for what it is. the visuals and sets were great. I thought it was wierd having the predator being the good guy. but it was a decent movie, worth a rental.
atleast its better then Resident Evil 2.
3/5
Old 02-01-05, 10:35 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally Posted by Cedrock
I remember hearing a few months ago about a rumored unrated/directers cut version that should be r rated?
I'd heard that too. However, unlike the Resident Evil commentary, Anderson says the MPAA didn't have trouble with the film because the gore was critter-on-critter. I pray that's spin. Surely the guy didn't make a movie full of jump-cut kills. Sci Fi Channel flicks on basic cable show more grue. I review AVP in my latest column.
Old 02-02-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I watched the movie again, and I will have to say I still like the movie. The only flaw that bugged me the most was the Aliens growing so fast (about 30 minutes). But, surrendered on that point and just enjoyed the rest.

Next movie, they should show how the aliens crashed on the planet from they 1st movie. But, without humans, I think the movie would not be as good.
Old 02-04-05, 03:01 PM
Cool New Member

I liked the movie as well. It didn't scare me as much as Alien, Aliens, or even the original Predator, but I thought it was a decent movie in it's own right. I was irritated by the french guy, and I love how so many people are able to read ancient languages! Reminded me of Bulletproof Monk where everyone in the movie seemed to know Kung Fu and live in the Matrix!

The PG-13 rating seemed to "dumb down" the movie for me. I was hoping for some more intense and truly scary scenes. Alien (granted I was a lot younger when I first saw those movies) scared the bejesus out of me and I still shudder sometime when I remember how much it scared me! AvP didn't do that for me. It was a fun sort of a movie, more of an action/adventure flick than a Horror flick.
Old 02-04-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hanyuning

The PG-13 rating seemed to "dumb down" the movie for me. I was hoping for some more intense and truly scary scenes. Alien (granted I was a lot younger when I first saw those movies) scared the bejesus out of me and I still shudder sometime when I remember how much it scared me! AvP didn't do that for me. It was a fun sort of a movie, more of an action/adventure flick than a Horror flick.
Pretty much my thoughts as well. It lacked the suspense and sense of dread that the other Alien or Predator films had for me, but i didn't think it was a terrible movie at all. Although it would have been nice to have a bit more action between the Predators and Aliens.
Old 02-05-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Terminator vs Running Man
Old 02-07-05, 12:34 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it too.

One of the producers said that it was Anderson who was the only one who had come up with such a great script and story. Make me laugh when I saw that and makes me wonder just how poor the other stories were.

To make a good film out of this isn't that hard. Show the Predators having to survive for a week(or a defined amount of time) on the Aliens home world as their coming of age ritual. Have lots of fights between them.